It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

american soldiers of the future

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
cryeassociates.com...#

thats for year 2020 click on the pics for a closer look

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Man, I like that picture of what seems to be an exoskeleton suit. Those soldiers in 2020 are so lucky to have this.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
only thing its missing is a cup

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Man, if you get shot there I don't think a cup is going to do you any good. And I would like to add, it must hurt like hell getting shot there
:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
By that time there won't be any need for soldiers. Remote controlled/autonomous robots will take over. Armed remote controlled robots aren't hard to develop you know. I could build one myself if it weren't for the law. Some robots are already seeing action in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Those robots are only to draw the enemy out so our troops can engage them.
True Autonomous Robots that look like human beings and that have the same intelligent as us won't appear according to scientist till 2045, then true terminator robots will become a reality.
But if your implying that remote controlled robots will replace all troops by 2020 then your wrong.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
But if your implying that remote controlled robots will replace all troops by 2020 then your wrong.

- Added 'being something of a seer able to see into the future' to our talents now have we Westy?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Those robots are only to draw the enemy out so our troops can engage them.

No, there are new ones that can actually shoot at enemies
www.globalsecurity.org...
The advantage of robots with guns is their almost perfect accuracy and their guns have no recoil and they don't need to mind their breathing when aiming.

True Autonomous Robots that look like human beings and that have the same intelligent as us won't appear according to scientist till 2045, then true terminator robots will become a reality.

Who said anything about Robocop and Terminator. Combat robots don't have to be humanoid. They can be just like the one I mentioned above except controlled by computer. So far target recognition and ground navigation are big problems for such robots but it shouldn't take THAT long for those problems to be solved.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Actually... I'm not a seer I just read the US military's reports and plans for the future and sorry to disappoint you but they don't seem to have removing all soldiers form the field as one of their goals.

Also I known the type of robots your taking about, the ones that are tracked or wheeled and that can fire multiple weapons, such a this one.

The robots that I'm talking about in 2045, will have the same intelligence level as us, therefore no need for a remote.
Have you seen I Robot the movie?
Those are the types I'm talking about but they are far far away from being developed.

If you think the U.S. military will only have those tracked remote controlled robots and no troops in 2020 then once again your wrong.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Actually... I'm not a seer I just read the US military's reports and plans for the future and sorry to disappoint you but they don't seem to have removing all soldiers form the field as one of their goals.

Those are the types I'm talking about but they are far far away from being developed.

If you think the U.S. military will only have those tracked remote controlled robots and no troops in 2020 then once again your wrong.

This is why nobody likes you. Nobody was talking about droids replacing humans in combat. They were saying remote robots would replace humans in combat by that time.

Also, where are you getting that he is disappointed for being wrong? He's just trying to learn something, unlike you. You're out to be Alexander the Great of ATS (you're pretty bad at it too)

If you really don't want to talk with people, why are you here?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
That suit looks like the design came striaght out of HALO. I seriously doubt the soldiers will be robots then. It will be 2020 before we even know it. time flies.

And what good is killing each others robots going to do?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

This is why nobody likes you. Nobody was talking about droids replacing humans in combat. They were saying remote robots would replace humans in combat by that time.

Maybe if you read my post... I said I knew what they were saying and I answered their question, honestly do you even read my posts?

Also, where are you getting that he is disappointed for being wrong? He's just trying to learn something, unlike you. You're out to be Alexander the Great of ATS (you're pretty bad at it too)

WTF! are you talking about? He/she was talking as if they were right, and no Alexander the Great here, more like a Captain America

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
He/she as in me? Here it is again then
IMO

Originally posted by Taishyou
By that time there won't be any need for soldiers. Remote controlled/autonomous robots will take over. Armed remote controlled robots aren't hard to develop you know. I could build one myself if it weren't for the law.

I THINK SO BECAUSE

Some robots are already seeing action in Iraq.

(added) and also because they seem to have many advantages vs the average soldier in some areas (near perfect accuracy, almost no recoil, no breath control, no fatigue/morale/fear issues, costs much less than soldiers (to train, to army, to pay them))
And IMO it would only be a matter of time before number of robots exceed soldiers. In the not too far but not too near future, there may (OR MAY NOT) be a time when robots will replace every last soldier so no lives (on the side owning the robots) will be lost in any conflict.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The U.S military plans to have an armed robot capable of infantry missions in 2015. Talon is just for armed recon missions.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
thats for year 2020 click on the pics for a closer look

I doubt we'll see this type of thing in wide use in 2020, however it is nice to know they don't plan to replace soldiers with mindless machines, science fiction is becoming more science fact every day...

another interesting image from the site:

Better body armour covering, I've always wondered why they tend to just focus on the head and chest/back, main targets areas, the limbs need to be protected as well.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

If you really don't want to talk with people, why are you here?

ok, who dosnt like him????
by saying that your starting people to "not like" you.

BTW calm down, ffs

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
so does that mean robots will attack robots? how effective are bullets against robots?

who predicted that AI would be out by 2045? thats only 40 years away. If im not mistaken in the 1960s they predicted we would have flying cars.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah yeah yeah, whatever, they're ALWAYS going to have human troops on the ground until robots can replace human troops. And that will be a while. Humans have certain forms of intelligence, certain skills and the like that robots just do not have.

These robots will need to be communicated with constantly. You gonna send over 200,000 robots overseas and expect to communicate with them all. Otherwise, they need independent A.I., which I can guarantee you is not going to work out because A.I. will always have problems initially that are unforseen until they are discovered. It will be trial-and-error.

The ONLY time a robot soldier will replace a human soldier is if the robot soldiers are sent on a mission requiring humans, only the robots perform the mission better.

And such a robot is going to be sooooooooooooooooooooo complex, have such complicated machinery, and a complex computer system for its A.I., that it is more or less going to be just as fragile as a human.

One thing people seem to forget is, HUMANS ARE MACHINES TOO. We are biological machines. Most people, when they hear the word "machine," they think, wires, pumps, levers, etc.....when science everyday is talking about how robots work better with machine parts that act like human muscles and the like.

Humans are biological machines. And we are incredibly complex ones. Our individual cells have more complex machinery than our most complex mechanical machiens these days, let alone a human itself. As robots need to become more human-like to perform human missions, you will end up with the same complexity.

Biological machines (i.e. lifeforms) always make a joke out of human-made machines. Look at a horned beetle---it can lift 850 times its own weight. Cockroaches can adapt to radiation and chemicals. A tiger can have a rope tied to its arm, go running full speed, the rope snaps back, and the tiger flips head-over-paw. You tie a rope to your leg or shoulder and go running full speed and let them happen, and you'll come home with a torn ligament or something.

My point is, people always think machines are far stronger than biological creatures because they always think of humans, who tend to be soft and fleshy. Humans are one form of lifeform, one form of biological machinery. when you look at some of the other features other creatures have, they match machinery pretty good. Look at the strength of a turtle. Look at electric eels, and then creatures that can literally light up and produce light.

Biological life is nothing more than a form of machinery; it takes in food, breaks it into minierals, uses it for fuel, and behold it is just a very complex machine.

As robots get more complex, they are going to become just like regular biological life forms; heck, they may even employ the same principles as biological creatures.

Robots that can perform the same duties as humans are going to be so complex that if they get shot with a bullet, they're going to get messed up the same as a human, unless technology makes the robots where they can repair themselves easily or something.

Robots cannot perform jobs such as peacekeeping and working with people and so forth either. How would the Iraqis feel right now if there were a bunch of huge, armored Terminator robots walking around in there?? Those robots wouldn't have great people skills, because they're just naturally too war-like in appearance.

If you made humanoid robots to handle the civil affairs, then you may as well just use regular people.

The only areas robots will replace humans in the near future are in areas such as reconnaisance in which a robotic vehicle could do it better or more safely than a human, combat warfare such as armored-vehicle type stuff, etc......

if you send in robotic battle tanks, those tanks need to have their tracks replaced and engines fixed. What're you, going to have a bunch of humanoid robots doing that work, who are just as fragile as ordinary humans themselves, when those humanoid robots may have limited AI even? There is a reason the M1 Abrams has a 4 man crew, and not a 3 man crew iwth an automatic loading system. Because of the constant maintenance and repair and replacing of tracks tanks require.

So even for combat type roles, human will always be needed. Robots are what you use if you need to sned a Humvee up to investigate maybe a dangerous chemical weapon at first, to determine then if you should send humans near it or not.

Radiation and chemicals harm mechanical machinery just as they do biological machinery/lifeforms.

If you make humanoid robots, they're going to need chemical suits in the end as well, or some type of armoring which would then increase their weight a great deal, which facotrs into all sorts of thingsl ike transportation and such, etc.....another thing is the computational power. It is amazing we humans even walk; we have yet to make computers capable of matching our human brains. Yet if you try to knock a person over, they can balance. You walk up to Honda's little robot and shove and it'll just fall over.
big tracked robots would need someone to replace their tracks and engines/motors, which would require humanoid-like robots, which would be very human-like in complexity and thus very fragile. Only they'd also need an incredibly powerful computer acapable of incredible mathematical calculation to walk and balance like an ordinary human.

And then even if you get these robots where they can walk and have motor skills for things like engine and electronics repair, etc.....suppose the enemy captures one. You kow how much technology goes into researching that, and how a country like China or the Soviet Union would love to get a hold of it?

Humans on the ground will be around for a loooong time. 2045 will be hear before we know it as well.

Whether combat robots are tracked or whether they can walk (which some can, but you can walk up to them and knock them over really easily), humans will have to be around. Tracked robots can't care for themselves, and humanoid robots will be just as fragile as ordinary humans pretty much.

A humanoid robot would need a cooling system to keep from overheating, energy supply, etc....you'd end up building a metal and plastic human in the end is all.

And if you make these robots AS intelligent as humans, able to learn and grow in intelligence, all that will happen is then the robots will eventualyl be like, "What the he**!? why do we have to do all the fighting?"

[edit on 10-4-2005 by Broadsword20068]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
one article i read said that most of the US army would be robots, by 2020, with the human numbers cut to half of their present value.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join