It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Conspiracy to convert the world into Mormons

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I love John 3:16. All you have to do is accept Jesus, and you can still keep killing babies and raping 13-year-old girls, and you are still going to heaven. The sole belief that Jesus will save you because you believe in him is the best news ever!

Perhaps you missed a few. Read the book of Romans. And Jesus said "Whosoever hurts one of these [children], it were better if he had never lived." or something like that.

Paul said something like "shall sin abound, so that grace may more abound? God forbid."

This is an often misunderstood concept, that you can sin and get away with it. Actually, this is covered well in the NT. Here's the catch: if you are a born-again Christian, you will not wish to sin. You may sin by error, but not by intention. It is not in your nature anymore. "By this shall all men know ye are my disciples, that ye have love one for another."

Well, a christian world would be a nice place to live, if people would live it and not take advantage of it or corrupt it.

We call it heaven.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
You did a good job of explaining the questions about the Mormon church. I applaud you.

Thanks. I try to do my part :p Though this thread is so old I can't even remember what I said. It just popped up today on my sidebar of threads that someone updated that I've posted in.

I don't think that 99% of the Mormons really know christianity and how it compares to their church, which is, ironically, named after Jesus Christ.

I respectfully disagree, and I would state that Mormons are Christians. I do agree that the vast majority of Mormons don't really know how their faith compares to other faiths or Christianity in general, though. (That can be said of almost anyone else, too :p)

With the exception of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and the polygamy, the Mormons are living a very godly lifestyle, and should be admired for that.

Yes, Mountain Meadows is an awful incident in our history. For decades we denied that we had anything to do with it. Very recently, historians determined that while the church leaders weren't involved, a couple of Mormons were heavily involved in this incident. I don't believe the Church covered anything up, but I do believe we honestly didn't know.

Polygamy... well, the mainstream Mormons (like me) quit that over a hundred years ago (as I'm sure Jim knows) but FLDS and other splinter groups still practice it. I too have a couple ancestors who practiced polygamy (one guy I know had 3 wives, though only 2 at once, and another guy had two wives) and I have some ancestors who knew Joseph Smith as well. I have an interesting heritage in that on my dad's side of the family we go all the way back to the beginning through my grandma (grandpa was Catholic), but on my mom's side, they are all Catholics or nonreligious, except for mom. If polygamy were legal, I wouldn't have a problem with consenting adults being involved in it, though I certainly wouldn't practice it!

However, they do not believe in the Trinity, and their conception of who Jesus is is not correct. He is regarded as a creature, rather than the creator.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'creature rather than the creator'. And no, we don't believe in the Trinity in the same way that most Christian churches do. Many churches teach that each being of the Trinity is in fact one aspect of the same single being, whereas we teach that they are three distinct individuals. A Seventh-Day adventist minister once explained to me that he thought of the Trinity like how a cube has multiple faces (members of the Trinity), but there is only one cube (God).

The Mormon belief in this regard (distinct individuals) makes more sense to me, since there are verses where more than one of the Trinity are seen/heard individually, such as when John baptised Jesus, and when Stephen sees Jesus standing beside God the Father. However, there are other verses that trinitarians cite to support their belief over mine. I simply just cannot comprehend the trinity as stated in the Nicene Creed, plus I was raised a Mormon, so naturally I am biased in that direction.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Not wanting to create a large debate about his issue, as I am sure it will have been done to death but I do not believe that Mormonism can be considered as Christian. That is not to downplay one side or the other but they have fundamentally different beliefs.

One of the key features of Christianity is that it is monotheistic. It is labeled as one of the three great monotheistic reliongs of the world along with Judaism and Islam. Mormonism is a polytheistic religion. This immediately sets it apart from Christianity as most would understand the term.

Another interesting difference is the denial of the virgin birth by Mormons. I only point this one out now because it is close to Christmas
. "Orthodox" Christianity states a belief in the virgin conception of Christ as being begotten or conceived by the Holy Spirit. Mormonism denies this and states that God the Father physically procreated with Mary and conceived Jesus (or his body at least). How this is a virgin birth I do not really understand but I do not comment I just show another example of generally accepted orthodox views that separate Christianity from Mormonism.

Finally, I don't really understand why Mormonism wishes to hide underneath the title of Christianity. Surely Mormonism can stand in its own right by its own theological uniqueness, apart from Christiainity. Or maybe I am just simple minded

<< 4  5  6   >>

join