It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Conspiracy to convert the world into Mormons

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

putting the Mormon church down because you don't understand why they are so popular and prosperious will only make you look like a fool.

I never put it down. I simply presented some information about it. Seems like you are rather touchy on the subject, not me!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Might I add that the creator of Battlestar Glactica was a Mormon (Glen Larson)
He also was involved in creating..
The Six Million Dollar Man (Executive Producer)
Quincy (Executive Producer)
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (Executive Producer)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Producer)
Magnum PI (Executive Producer)
The Fall Guy (Executive Producer)
Knight Rider (Executive Producer)

Does anyone care about this information? What does this have to do with the topic??

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Im cunfused are not all religions tring to convert the world?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

putting the Mormon church down because you don't understand why they are so popular and prosperious will only make you look like a fool.

I never put it down. I simply presented some information about it. Seems like you are rather touchy on the subject, not me!

Thanks for the help Uforia, but I can speak for myself. I agree with you though. If you deny ignorance, you won't look like a fool fool.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Im cunfused are not all religions tring to convert the world?

It certainly appears that way. It just seems that some are better than others. Better at brainwashing and manipulating and laying on the guilt nice and thick. Also better at taking advantage of people that are naive and easily taken advantage of....or better at taking advantage of people that have self esteem issues, etc.....

This is just one topic on one religion. WE could certainly open similar threads for all religions. I just didn't happen to do so here!!

One problem I have with the Mormons...the Men in the Mormon church: They have decided that it's okay for them to have more than one wife. That isn't in the Bible, so where did they get it? They got it from the sick gentlemen that started the religion. They believe that the more wives they have, the greater chance they have of going to the promised land. i.e. If they have 10 wives, they believe they have a 10 times better chance of going to heaven. And, they treat women like subserviant slaves. Nice religion. Can the women have more than one husband? NO! Why not??

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy

One problem I have with the Mormons...the Men in the Mormon church: They have decided that it's okay for them to have more than one wife. That isn't in the Bible, so where did they get it? They got it from the sick gentlemen that started the religion. They believe that the more wives they have, the greater chance they have of going to the promised land. i.e. If they have 10 wives, they believe they have a 10 times better chance of going to heaven. And, they treat women like subserviant slaves. Nice religion. Can the women have more than one husband? NO! Why not??

I understand your frustration. The whole religion is nutty, You know the women, no one is making them stay.

I see it like this, who cares, there not bothering me. They can have 10 wives as long as mine is not one of them.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

You know the women, no one is making the stay....
I see it like this, who cares, there not bothering me. They can have 10 wives as long as mine is not one of them.

I think most of the women that are willing to deal with a husband that have multiple wives are probably mostly lesbians anyway.

What's this I hear about the Mormon Tabernackle Choir being a gay group? I heard they did something like Michael Jackson to keep thier voices high. I know it's a bit off subject, but interesting. I also heard something else where they actually aren't gay but are forced to be castrated by the Mormons to keep thier voices high. Anyone familiar with this info??

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is a little off topic, but Still about mormons, OK out in West texas a Palygamy colony Aka Mormons holed themselves up in a fortress and said the world was going to end. this was tuesday.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Does anyone care about this information? What does this have to do with the topic??

well if you read the info prior to that, you would understand that the person who was the exectutive producer was a mormon.. I think you are being argumentative for the sake of it and need to get off your high horse and stop taking life so seriously maybe go out once in a while...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Personally, I'd be more worried about an evangelist conspiracy. to me they seem to be the ones really pushing a political agenda.

Born Again Christians do scare the BeJesus out of me!! The real hardcore ones!!

Be afraid...be evry afraid of me. Maybe the Holy Spirit will work through me to bring you to Christ. Then you'll *gasp!* go to Heaven!

While I believe that Mormonism is a cult, created by a con artist who was as surprised as anyone else that it took off, I don't see them as a conspiratorial problem. Sure, they are a bit annoying on Saturday mornings, but isn't that what we are supposed to do if we care about our fellow human; bring them to salvation? No, I don't believe their way is to Salvation, but that isn't the point.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying I despise all religion, but you are mistaken about a few things with regard to the Mormons.

First

One problem I have with the Mormons...the Men in the Mormon church: They have decided that it's okay for them to have more than one wife. That isn't in the Bible, so where did they get it?

The Mormon church you are referring to has not practiced polygamy since the 1800s. Also the practice of polygamy was prevalent throughout the bible, specifically the old testament - King David, Abraham, etc. This is the authority
that Smith relied on when he received his supposed revelation from god.

When the Mormons quit practicing polygamy in the 1880s many members didn't agree and continued to marry multiple wives - they were excommunicated from the church. These excommunicated members have started their own churches and can be found in Southern Utah, Canada, and now Texas. A kind of mormon reformation movement if you will.

As far as these women being lesbian - I have to ask why the venom? These women are victims of conditioning and being told that god will punish them for not being subservient to their god, leaders and men, in general. This kind of conditioning begins at birth - they know nothing else. The few that escape these polygamist groups tell stories of sexual and physical abuse. They should be pitied and not scorned.

Then you said

What's this I hear about the Mormon Tabernackle Choir being a gay group? I heard they did something like Michael Jackson to keep thier voices high. I know it's a bit off subject, but interesting. I also heard something else where they actually aren't gay but are forced to be castrated by the Mormons to keep thier voices high. Anyone familiar with this info??

No because it's complete BS. The Choir, which is the only decent part of the Mormon church, is made up of men and women, most of them married. They are a truly beautiful sounding choir. In case you still aren't getting it - it is the women who sport the beautiful soprano voices.

Like I said, I don't care for organized religion at all, but your information is very wrong. If you want the true, and ugly story of the Mormons, check out this site. It is written by a former mormon and is extremely accurate.

B.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Many religions are prosletyzing, you can't really fault them on that alone. My problem comes from the fact that they pass themselves off as a mainstream Christian sect such as Protestantism or Catholicism and use our good name to spread their twisted message. In fact, they truly are a cult and many of their beliefs are in direct opposition to the Bible and Christian teachings.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
But hey Im Catholic so what the hell do I know? I work with some Mormans and the religion is down right frightening. From what I understand its some nutty cult some guy started in the 1800s in order to have multiple wives. The essence of the religion seems incredibly fake. There are many Mormons in my area. The Mormons I know say you cant ask any questions that you can only have faith. Women are looked down upon. Its just bizarre. The Mormons are led by a prophet. A self proclaimed prophet. Even the pope never claimed to be a prophet. Just plain scary and none of it makes any sense. Ive tried to study it. In the end it seems to be all about having multiple sex partners. Im not trying to convey hate here. I dont hate Mormons. I just think the religion is bizarre to say the least.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Many religions are prosletyzing, you can't really fault them on that alone. My problem comes from the fact that they pass themselves off as a mainstream Christian sect such as Protestantism or Catholicism and use our good name to spread their twisted message. In fact, they truly are a cult and many of their beliefs are in direct opposition to the Bible and Christian teachings.

I'm a Mormon, and you are mistaken about some points here, which I will try to correct as best I can.
1) I agree with you that Mormons are not a 'mainstream Christian sect', however, anyone who spends 5 minutes researching Mormonism will learn that we are, in fact, Christians. The official name of the Mormon church is 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints'. We use the Bible and the Book of Mormon, both of which are full of references to Christ. There certainly are differing viewpoints between Mormons and other Christian religions, but I fail to see how anyone can think they are not Christian. It's like saying Muslims don't believe in Allah or Catholics don't believe in God. It's silly.
2) The cult thing. This depends a lot on your definition of 'cult', which varies widely from person to person. If by cult you mean 'non-Catholic', as a lot seem to, then I agree. But if you mean that our beliefs vary greatly from the Bible, then I have to disagree. I have read the Bible multiple times, and I find very little in it contradicting Mormonism, and a lot more contradicting some other Christian religions.
3) We probably follow the Bible closer than most religions. Where in the Bible is any mention of priests who cannot marry? Where is the entire concept of Limbo? Praying to patron saints? Or, my personal favorite, that simply by believing in Christ (grace) you are saved, even if you go around deliberately sinning. James 2:17 (KJV) "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." The Bible does mention men with multiple wives. Abraham, David, Solomon, Jacob, are 4 examples.
4) We don't borrow from the 'good name' of other religions. Although we are Christian, we do differ significantly from other Christian religions in several ways. (no argument there) We have no need to borrow from other religions.

I apologize if I sound like I am attacking anybody here. That is not my intent. I am simply clearing up a few issues that many people who are not familiar with Mormons or religion in general often bring up. I have the utmost respect for the vast majority of religions other than my own. I have friends and family who are Catholic, and friends that are Muslim and other religions, and we have far more similarities than differences in our faiths and beliefs.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Dragon, Christ's last words, "It is done", says it all.

Any attempt to add is clear to His followers.

There is no congruent reason for there to be an addendum to the KJV1611; other than humanistic reasons. I read the "other book", and it is its own evidence against the notion as far as Christ goes.

As I've said many times before on this board; If you want your own ism, start from scratch rather then build upon and warp the concept of Christianity.

If my opinion sounds harsh, that is the way it is. Why am I supposed to take all offenses against my God quietly?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The Mormon church you are referring to has not practiced polygamy since the 1800s

Mormans in the us today still practise this belief of having multiple wives

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_

The Mormon church you are referring to has not practiced polygamy since the 1800s

Mormans in the us today still practise this belief of having multiple wives

No, they don't. The practice of polygamy was discontinued over 100 years ago in 1890 when the president of the mormon church Wilford Woodruff received a convenient revelation from god. I say convenient because the US government was going to come into Utah and "clean house." It came down pleasing their god or pleasing the feds - they chose to please the feds. Here are links to the Mormon's website and the actual declaration.

Link 1
Link 2

Like I noted above - this didn't go over well with some of the rank and file members. Those who continued the practice were excommunicated and started their own churches. To say that they are still mormons is equivalent to saying Lutherans are still Catholic. It just isn't so.

B.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Dragon, Christ's last words, "It is done", says it all.
Any attempt to add is clear to His followers.
There is no congruent reason for there to be an addendum to the KJV1611; other than humanistic reasons. I read the "other book", and it is its own evidence against the notion as far as Christ goes.
As I've said many times before on this board; If you want your own ism, start from scratch rather then build upon and warp the concept of Christianity.
If my opinion sounds harsh, that is the way it is. Why am I supposed to take all offenses against my God quietly?

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I'm not too clear how Mormons are 'warping' Christianity or what 'offenses' have been directed towards 'your God'. As for his 'last words', "It is done" (John 19:30; KJV says 'finished' instead of 'done', same thing) that is what Christ said right before dying on the cross. After his resurrection, well, he was around for 40 days more, (Acts 1:3), so I think he had more to say during that time.

We could probably debate this forever, neither side convincing the other, and both sides getting angry, so we won't do that. You are welcome to your own version of Christianity, and I am welcome to mine. I imagine that every Christian religion sees all the others as a 'warping' of the 'true faith.' I simply fail to see how two people of differing faiths worshipping the same God as best they know how can somehow 'cause offense'.

My reason for posting earlier was that I saw a few incorrect facts, so I felt the need to correct them. I'll do that in any forum. People are perfectly welcome to say they think Mormons are bizarre, silly, misguided, or whatever, but inaccuracies such as suggesting they aren't Christians isn't true, it's like suggesting the world is flat. I know that people can't be expected to know everything about everything, and people make mistakes due to ignorance, including me, from time to time. Remember, it's all about 'Deny Ignorance', right?
I'm just helping that goal along.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Something provocative:
Joseph Smith claims the angel Moroni led him to the gold plates that were published as the Book of Mormon. The angel Moroni is the figure which crown Mormon temples as well. The following passage is from The Doctrine and Covenants, a Mormon holy book:
"...In September, 1823, and at later times, Joseph Smith received visitations from Moroni, an angel of light, who revealed the resting place of the ancient record from which The Book of Mormon was afterward translated."
Now here's the cheese--In the glossary of Mormon Doctrine, by Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, the term Angel of Light is defined "see Devil"!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I can certainly agree that he had a great deal of good things to say. Absolutely! Unfortunately, a lot of his words have been mis-translated and twisted to satisfy the agendas of all religions since his death, including Christianity, whatever type. Jesus did not believe in religion and neither do I!!

What got changed? And to fit what agenda? I don't remember Jesus saying "Go to church and pay them". Interesting thing is, we read those verses of anti-establishmentarianism in church. Remember all that stuff about "my kingdom is not of this earth", the body being a temple, etc.? We go to church to talk about what the man had to say, bounce ideas, share experiences, hear someone talk about them and the many ways it can apply to our individual lives. Just a thought. If you don't want to go to church, then don't go. If you do, then do. The Church didn't write into the Book that you must go to be saved. Salvation is a 'you and God' thing, not a 'church, pastor, and a bunch of people' thing. I didn't go to church for 15 years. I missed a lot of opportunities to hear and connect with people, but it didn't make me a 'bad Christian' for not going.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join