It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman being Starved despite Living Will to the contrary...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well this is the Atlanta news

www.11alive.com...

And local news

www.walb.com...

Still can not find anything.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge
I know how most of us feel about Worldnetdaily, but if this is true, we have truly turned the path from mercy to euthanasia...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

God help us if it's true...

I don't know who wrote that or why. It makes no sense and it can not happen under any living will I have ever seen. And I have taken an interest in them many, many years before Terry S., and have lived in a lot of different states. So, I'm not an expert, but every living will or advance directive that I have ever come accross, has wording almost precisely the same. There is a very important paragraph which states almost word for word that: "I understand that the subject of the artificial administration of nutrition abd hydration (food and water) that will only prolong the process of my dying from an incurable and irreversibile condition is of particular importance. I understand that if I do not sign this paragraph, artificially administered nutrition and hydration will be administered to me. I further understand that if I sign this paragraph, I am authorizing the withholding or withdrawal of artificially administered nutrition (food) and hydration (water)."

So, you see, a person does not have to even have a living will in order to ensure that nutrition & hydration will be administered to them. They (the hospital, doctors, relatives, etc...) will assume that you want that artificial life support, unless you have specifically signed a document to the contrary.

[edit on 4/8/2005 by CyberKat]

[edit on 4/8/2005 by CyberKat]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Frayed 1 I am so sorry to hear about your family medical problems. Have you considered that for that amount of money your mother could be getting alot better care at home as well as help for your household?
My best friend went through this. The high cost of amedical facility and hardly any help. She brought her mom home and got a great nurse to come in and help do it all for less money. The nurse was retired, and every morning she came in and made breakfast for everyone, cleaned, took care of the mom and made dinner before leaving to go home. And on weekends did shopping and laundry.
My friends total cost for this was around $2600 a month. And she no longer had to travel across town to visit her mother.
May you and your family be blessed

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
krt1967, thanks for your kind words.....

We did consider bringing her home, but my father was still living when she first had the stroke, and the nursing home was closer for him...plus he would not hear of it.

After his death, we again considered it, but would have had to extensively remodel for a handicapped bath and a room for her plus the rest of the house was not wheelchair accessable. Neither my husband or myself would have been able to lift her, so we were looking at having someone in 24/7, that along with giving up the close proximity to medical personnel and the company of people her own age, led us to decide that the nursing home was the best choice.....but there are days I have my doubts.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I live in GA I have not heard anything about this case in the local news, I will keep looking for it.

It could be another case blown off proportion, in an effort to keep with the right to live agenda.

I will keep tuned to the local news.

I've tried searching a few of the online newspapers looking, can't find anything, although there is a judge by the name that was given in one of the stories, in LaGrange Ga. unfortunately, their newspaper requires subscription to get access to it. will keep looking!!

[edit on 8-4-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There's an article in the LaGrange Daily News. As in the Schiavo case, it sounds like the judge has been fair by appointing outside experts to evaluate the lady's medical prospects.

www.lagrangenews.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Her prospects are immaterial. She made her wishes clear prior to being in this condition (unlike Terri I might add, so we were forced to accept her husband's word on this, as well as the ruling of various courts). Unfortunately, the law has established the grand-daughter as guardian, so the only legal way to reverse it, is to file a motion for guardianship away from the grand-daughter. Should be easy enough to do since it isn't a spouse.

As Maria Korp clings to life in hospital with the help of machines, the man accused of trying to kill her has signalled he will take the battle to court if her family tries to remove her life supports.

The mother of two, 50, was strangled with a bag strap and left in a car boot for almost five days before she was rescued on February 13.

Her husband and his lover stand accused of her attempted murder.

This is an odd case. On one hand, the spouse legally gets the say on this. However, since he is charged (Michael Schiavo was never charged nor even formally accused by the way, so before anyone goes there) with the attack that led to the condition, this should negate this right. (Morally anyhow). Whether or not the law says this though, I couldn't say. I can imagine that there probably isn't a provision for this sort of thing, though after this there likely will be.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lchoro
There's an article in the LaGrange Daily News. As in the Schiavo case, it sounds like the judge has been fair by appointing outside experts to evaluate the lady's medical prospects.

www.lagrangenews.com...

Where did you see that? This is what I see

That same day Gaddy received emergency guardianship in Troup County Probate Court.

At a follow-up hearing Monday, the parties reached a settlement that awarded guardianship to Gaddy provided three cardiologists – James Brennan and Thomas Gore, both of LaGrange, and Raed Aquel of Birmingham – evaluate the patient, who would receive whatever treatment two of the three recommended. A final decision had not yet been reached.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
On the face of it, it looks like one side of the family (Ken Mullinax) wants to bring outside pressure on the judge and on the cardiologists he appointed. This could replay itself over and over until the pro-lifers are overextended.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok, now I understand, the dispute is because one side said that she is "not getting enough nourishment" and they want her to have a feeding tube.

While the one in charge of the lady said that she feeds her what she wants to eat.

So they are accusing the place were she is kept from denying food.

But in reality she can eat by herself but the other relatives said she can not.

So now they want attention from the same people that created the media circus in Florida so the court agree with the lady to have a feeding tube inserted.

Well, if the lady is awake and responsive she can tell what she wants. Right?

Maybe somebody needs to ask Grandma what she really wants.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Marg...

Grandma has already spoken in her living will...

What's really scary about this is, if this case is allowed to follow through, where will it end ?

The granddaughter states...

"Grandmama is old and I think it is time she went home to Jesus," Gaddy told Magouirk's brother and nephew, McLeod and Ken Mullinax. "She has glaucoma and now this heart problem, and who would want to live with disabilities like these?"

www.wnd.com...

So...her "quaility of life" isn't up to the granddaughter's standards, so if this were allowed to go through, where is it going to stop...

Are we to start starving people just because their "quaility of life" isn't up to par ?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Actually that is a quote from one of the opposing members made.

The person that is in charge of grandma said that she feeds grandma what she wants to eat.

The dispute is about if she is eating what she ones or not and if is enough.

And the living will can not be taken in consideration while Grandma is still awake and can tell what she wants, only if she goes into coma or vegetative state then the will be taken in consideration.

That is why I wonder why nobody is asking Grandma what she really wants.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Ahhh...I see where you are coming from Marg...

While listeningto Glenn Beck, it was stated that the granddaughter went to court for an emergency power of attorney, and told the judge that she is suffering from dementia, maybe that's why the're not asking grandma...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi_Master
Ahhh...I see where you are coming from Marg...

While listeningto Glenn Beck, it was stated that the granddaughter went to court for an emergency power of attorney, and told the judge that she is suffering from dementia, maybe that's why the're not asking grandma...

Well it could be...... I think is more about this issue that we need to find out. You are right it could be that when the dementia came into issue it can make a difference but that will not stop the place where she has been kept at to stop from giving her food.

Now the dispute is about placing a feeding tube on her nose to make sure she is getting enough.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It shouldn't stop them from giving her what she needs to live Marg, but from what I understand for what ever reason it has...

From what I can gather she has already been without food or water for a few days now...

[edit on 8-4-2005 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yeah that's what i've heard too. This woman has been without any food or water for a few days. With her being in her 80's she probably doesnt have much longer to live if this is true. i hope someone with authority intervenes soon before its too late.

Oh one more thing. Jedi_master are you a "sick freak" too? Or were you listening to the posted audio of Glenn Beck?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The mother of two, 50, was strangled with a bag strap and left in a car boot for almost five days before she was rescued on February 13.

Fresh charges if Korp dies

Sanc'.

i was going to mention this one, I heard it announced on the radio yesterday. The only reason why her husband wants her alive is so he doesn't get his charge upgraded to murder.

After Terry Shiavo, it seems a precedant has now been set...be warned do not fall ill, cos they don't care...you just cost money......

the case in question though with gaddy, id say gaddy stands to inherit the estate, thats why she wants her gran dead. If she lives from this point see gaddy will be cut out of the will most definately
the world is getting so sad.....

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Long before Terri's case my Dad who is getting older, told me about hearing of such things going on everywhere now, in hospitals and nursing homes.

He wanted to be sure I was clear, not about his intentions (since that would be a given in my family), but of his fear of being euthanized when he might not be in a position to defend himself. It seems his fears are not unfounded. He knows I would never allow him to be denied sustanance, but he feels too many caregivers these days take it upon themselves to decide a persons life is no longer worth living. He had to tell me, but he didn't have to ask. The sad fact is if family members value life so little, how can you feel safe placing your life in the hands of strangers, especially when so many agree that they see little value in a compromised quality of life.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRUTH Ambassador
Oh one more thing. Jedi_master are you a "sick freak" too? Or were you listening to the posted audio of Glenn Beck?

No...

I'm not a "sick freak" ( what ever that is ), just listening to Glenn Beck...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well according to this story they are now feeding her again...

www.al.com.../base/news/1113124997294560.xml

And to Jedi_Master: a "sick freak" is what Glenn Beck affectionatly calls his listeners.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join