It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman being Starved despite Living Will to the contrary...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know how most of us feel about Worldnetdaily, but if this is true, we have truly turned the path from mercy to euthanasia...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

God help us if it's true...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yeah i just heard about this on the Glenn Beck radio program. It sounds like it's true. She even has a living will that says that unless she is in a coma or vegitative state she wants to be kept alive.

The scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg with medicare and social securtiy going down the tubes. When we can no longer afford to take care of the elderly or those deemed to no longer contribute to society we're just goign to yank their tube. This is extremely disturbing and i'm afraid it is the way of the future.

It's going to take people standing up for this woman and others in this situation to prevent this trend form continuing. Gosh this is too much like the Nazi regieme.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Nice thing to see another sick freak here...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
"Aw yeah!" Right back at ya brother!

I wonder if anyone else feels that this is an important issue to address? Because it will be coming soon to a nursing home near you.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Another Sick Freak right here baby!

You know this is just another example of the United States turning into a Father Know's Best State. In the Terri Schiavo Case the Judge ordered the feeding tube removed. It wasn't Michael Schiavo it was the judge. In this case the lady had a living will and the judge decided that the living will didn't matter and gave rights to the grand-daughter to do as she saw fit. BTW here is a link to the audio of the nephew of this lady.

www.glennbeck.com...

Also upon Gaddy's request and without prior legal authority, since March 28 Hospice-LaGrange has denied Magouirk normal nourishment or fluids via a feeding tube through her nose or fluids via an IV. She has been kept sedated with morphine and ativan, a powerful tranquillizer......

The dehydration is being done in defiance of Magouirk's specific wishes, which she set down in a "living will," and without agreement of her closest living next-of-kin, two siblings and a nephew: A. Byron McLeod, 64, of Anniston, Ga.; Ruth Mullinax, 74, of Birmingham, Ala.; and Ruth Mullinax's son, Ken Mullinax.

Yeah and the judicial isn't running wild in this country

[edit on 8-4-2005 by BlackJackal]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
what gets to me is where is the outrage? No one seems to care (Except my sick freak brethren). Are we as a society really this clueless to not notice the path we are going down?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I find it odd that no one from the left cares to chime in on this subject as well. More than likely it's because they know that this cannot be justified but their silence only justifies this heinous act of government.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well like Glenn was saying today the conservatives are the ones painted as heartless and the libs are supposed to be the compationate ones. Wait hold on.. i'm doing what i didnt want to do by making this issue into a left vs. right issue when it needs to be right vs. wrong issue. The terri Shiavo case became all politics and you saw how that worked out
America needs to wake up and decide if this is something we are going to stand aside and allow to happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I live in GA I have not heard anything about this case in the local news, I will keep looking for it.

It could be another case blown off proportion, in an effort to keep with the right to live agenda.

I will keep tuned to the local news.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I work for a former Pastor who said he visited many people in the past that were in the same boat, had living will saying they wanted to live and the familiy wanted to let them go. He says in his 20 years of pastoring a living will never kept anyone alive.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have only found this story in various blogs on the web, not any reputable media source, not that I don't believe it, I just think that we are only hearing one side of the story.

If this is indeed 100% factual, then the grand-daughter is wrong and the judge made an error in judgement. Judges are human too.

I just don't see why this has to become a left vs. right issue when it is not.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hmm...that's incouraging. Makes me want to waste the time to go get one. So what is this saying? Someone who is frail, sick, and wants to be kept alive can be put to death if no one else agrees with them? That is so sick and twisted. If that isnt murder i don't know what is.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thank you WorldWatcher that is exactly what i'm saying. This is not a right vs. left issue it is a right vs. wrong issue and everyone's input is needed.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If this is indeed 100% factual, then the grand-daughter is wrong and the judge made an error in judgement. Judges are human too.

I just don't see why this has to become a left vs. right issue when it is not.

True.

My view on the Schiavo case (for the removal of her feeding tube) was based on a question of law. My basis for my view on this case is no different.

Magouirk's husband and only child, a son, are both deceased.

This left no provision for one to make decisions for her if incapacitated.

Claiming that she held Magouirk's power of attorney, Gaddy had her transferred to Hospice-LaGrange, a 16-bed unit owned by the same family that owns the hospital. Once at the hospice, Gaddy stated that she did not want her grandmother fed or given water.

This is the Hospice's fault for not verifying this power of attorney. I can certainly see how Gaddy believed she had that power though (as she had financial power of attorney already).

On March 31, Todd told Ruth and Ken Mullinax during a phone conversation Georgia law stipulated that Ruth Mullinax and her brother, A.B. McLeod, were entitled to make any and all decisions for Magouirk. Ruth Mullinax immediately told Todd to begin administering food and fluids through an IV and a nasal feeding tube.

At this point, Ruth and A.B. should have filed for custody, this is where they screwed up.

Todd explained that Gaddy had only a financial power of attorney, not a medical power of attorney, and Magouirk's living will carefully provided that a feeding tube and fluids should only be discontinued if she was comatose or in a "vegetative state" – and she was neither

A valid argument, and by law, I'd agree with Todd here...

Under the terms of his ruling, Gaddy was granted full and absolute authority over Magouirk, at least for the weekend. She took advantage of her judge-granted power by ordering her grandmother's feeding tube pulled out, just hours after it had been inserted.

This is when Todd really needed to change that custody. Right now, since Gaddy is her legal guardian, it is perfectly legal for her to make such decisions. However, UNLIKE the Schiavo case, the patient's wishes are VERY clear in this matter, and while legally correct, in THIS case it's morally wrong, and I believe the law has made an incorrect ruling here. This is EXACTLY why I stressed that a Living Will is not a cure all (in the Schiavo threads), you NEED to have someone designated as your power of attorney in the event you are incapacitated.y law in most states, this goes to your spouse, and if no spouse, to your children. Since neither applied, the law was left with going with whomever stepped up to the plate first, in this case it was unfortunately Gaddy...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Perhaps a little 'off topic', but this guy and his lover are a nice piece of work.

JOE Korp faces a murder charge if his wife dies - and he will fight to keep her alive.

As Maria Korp clings to life in hospital with the help of machines, the man accused of trying to kill her has signalled he will take the battle to court if her family tries to remove her life supports.

The mother of two, 50, was strangled with a bag strap and left in a car boot for almost five days before she was rescued on February 13.

Her husband and his lover stand accused of her attempted murder.

Don't let my wife die, husband says
Fresh charges if Korp dies

Sanc'.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Oh, lord Santum that is morbid, I guess it can go both way, terrible and tragic story.

But obviously the GA grandma case has a will involve, so its something that can become another big issue.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Add me to that sick freak list....what is this country comming to? Sombody has got to do something.
More and more of this is being heard of. So I have just one question???How the hell do we go about taking back OUR country and getting all the stupid people out of office?
We need an underground group to handle such pathetic people
Just take 'em on out. They are no good to society, just to those heartless "family members"
I read this crap everyday and everyday I find myself needing some sort of pill to counter effect the extreme pissed off side effect this causes. Otherwise I would become that underground group of relief workers.
Ima start a list of these zombies, and God knows..hope my medication never runs out!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Some more Stories coming out

www.nationalledger.com...
lonestartimes.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
BlackJackal,

I notice that both links refer to the same source, I am still looking for the news in the local news, but no luck yet, I am going to search the local news channel and see what I come out with.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ha! This type of thing goes on in nursing homes all the time....living will or not, power of attorney or not....family's wisher or not!!!

My mother is paralyzed on her right side from a stroke in 2000.....before that she already had "essential, non-specific, " hand tremors that were so bad she could not hold a glass of water without spilling most of it. ( they are hereditary, I have them too - though not yet as bad ) Needless to say, expecting her to feed herself with any degree of success is unrealistic.

When I asked that she be classified as needing help .... I was told by one of the administrators that, she could "steady" her violently shaking hand "with her other hand".......that's with the paralyzed hand she CANNOT move at all!!!! When I pointed out the impossibility of that ingenious idea, the Director of nursing said, ( in a whiny tone ) " Well, if you can't be here to feed her, I guess we can get some one to help her with breakfast."

So, in spite of paying them over $3000 each month, they expected me to come in and feed her every meal, every day???

I did feed her two of her meals for a long time, and was there for lunch every day for over three years......now, after years of fighting with them over this, I have made only some progress.

They still come up with lame reasons for not feeding her, ( "It's good therapy for her to try.", or "She won't let us. " ) but she has gotten accustomed to using her fingers rather than utensils, and her room mate's family helps her when they are there ( and she has no problem letting any of them feed her !!). I still go almost every day at lunch time.....but my husband is partially disabled, and some days I HAVE to be with him.

And don't even get me started on how well they keep her changed and dry!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join