It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unusual ground formation in the desert....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
did a google of gerlach,nv. Found unusual formation in the desert to the northwest. anybody know what this is. here is the url

click on satellite at the right and zoom in...

maps.google.com...,NV&ll=40.756531,-119.242
172&spn=0.152779,0.246506&t=k&hl=en

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I believe some Earth artist used that portion of the desert to display one of his exhibitions.

[edit on 4/8/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
yeah - cool find. those 'nazca' lines (sp?) come to mind. plus nevada is always a cause for alarm too. who knows. funny formation....

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
That's weird...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost
yeah - cool find. those 'nazca' lines (sp?) come to mind. plus nevada is always a cause for alarm too. who knows. funny formation....

Whatever it is, its clearly not any "nazca" style lines. The area has tons of buildings in it. The lines look like roads, but I dont know what its for...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I wonder what the scale of this would be? I did my home town on same google search and 30,000 people live in my town and this road complex(?) building complex(?) would be about the same as half my town. Whatever this is a photo of is a very large ...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I believe some Earth artist used that portion of the desert to display one of his exhibitions.

Do you have any more info on the artist? Very interesting find.

Kind of reminds me of maps of Atlantis. Apparently you can't save the image from this sight, otherwise I would post it.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
really interesting
could it be a mapping out of a new development?
there seems to be structures there...especially that hub off to the southwest. the building in the center is rounded as well. sort of like an airport.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If you look on MapQuest this looks likes it's on, or very near to Black Rock Desert - High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails. Why so many cars out there?

I believe Simulacra was just speculating that it was an earth artists work. Can you provide a link? Do you know that for a fact Simulacra? Have you read the rules about 1 line threads?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Looking at all the buildings inside the circles, I'd say more in the lines of research facility, test range, military base or something else in those lines.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

its clearly not any "nazca" style lines.

you're right. it was wasted breath really (or finger pressure?..lol) -i merely found the image to have a similar aesthetic texture as do the nazca and thought i would flaunt my excellent grasp upon unexplained and puzzling artwork that can only be seen from the air due to the remarkably large scale it was created on... kidding.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Do you have any more info on the artist? Very interesting find.

Well here is info on some Earth artist:

Robert Smithson and his infamous Spiral Jetty off the coast of Great Salt Lake, Utah.

Here is another one called Spiral Hill:

Broken Circle by the same artist@

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I was able to get a screen capture, for those who cannot see it.

The whole thing is surrounded by a pentagon.

abominog, how did you find this? Do you normally go looking at satellite imagry of the desert? Or did you hear about it from someone else?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
They are intersting looking, but what is the connection to aliens? Are you saying that aliens created them?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Don't worry guys. When looking at it...looks pretty darn weird, but its safe. Nothing alien (or even government) about it.

Its for Burning Man. And if you don't know what that is...Burning Man is an annual art festival and temporary community based on radical self expression and self-reliance in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.

Its called "Black Rock City". Their art theme for 2004 was "vault of heaven". Here is a website about it.

Black Rock City 2004
Burning Man Website

[edit on 8-4-2005 by andpau66]

[edit on 8-4-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up, andpau66.

It's a very impressive work of art. I wonder how long it took to make?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
yeah! you learn something new everyday.

i understood 'burning man' to be some annual -drug/art festival but did not know there was a bunch of desert designated just for it viewable via satalite. if i remember correctly - the drugfest reaches its climax when a towering 'man' made of varying fireworks is lit - offering all 'attendees' some happy visuals.

-some quick vids:

owmyeye.com...

-i wanna go...

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've been going to burning man for 6 years now. I can attest to the fact that those strange lines are in fact the groundword for the event's infrastructure. The event takes place the last weekend of August, and this particular photo was taken about 2 weeks prior to the event in 2003. In fact, if I go to max zoom and use a magnifyer, I can see the spot that is my tent (so cool).

(edit) OOh, forgot to mention that the founders of google are also Burners (which explains the inclusion)

[edit on 4/29/2005 by darwinman1]

top topics

join