It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Pope, What will the name be? Does it matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
So today's is Pope John Paul II's funeral and the conclave to choose the new pope will soon begin, does anyone have any ideas as to the name of the new pope? Here is a link to the names of ALL pope's so far starting from Peter, all the way to John Paul II.

www.newadvent.org...

The choice of a new popes name may seem trivial, but should it be an apostles name, or something perhaps more modern to suit the times. I am quite sure it won't be Zephyrinus II but you never can tell. My vote is for Pope Ringo, they have had pretty much all the Beatles names, the last pope had two!

[edit on 8-4-2005 by jawapunk]

[edit on 8-4-2005 by jawapunk]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The name a pope picks if very significant and clues everyone in on
just how he will be running this papacy.

If Arinze is picked, I betchya' he goes with Pope Paul VII. Arinze is
like Paul .... he reaches out to the other faiths and gets everyone
to understand and get along. (Arinze is my #1 hope for Pope)

If Ratzinger is picked I betchya' he goes with Pope John Paul III.
Ratzinger is the smartest Cardinal and he has been side by side
with PJPII for a very long time. In fact, he has been running things
a lot since PJPII got sick. If he got picked, his papacy would just
be a natural continuation of what we have had. (Ratzinger is my
#2 hope for Pope)

If Humme gets picked I would think he might go with Pope John 24th.
He's into all that economic justice stuff.... (ugh)

God only knows what Ruini would pick. He's been campagning for
pope for decades and has made his political ambitions for the
position very well known. This usually kills a cardinals chances
for being pope ... being so obnoxiously obvious ... but you never
know. (He'd be a very bad choice)

The name will clue you in as to how that Pope thinks ... pay close
attention to the name.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
There are several existing threads speculating about the next Pope, his name, what it means, etc, so I'm closing this thread, please feel free to continue your thoughts in any one of these:

Lustiger ,the next pope?
The next Pontiff/Pope
When the pope dies, what changes will occur?
John Paul 2, Saint Malachi, & the Mayan Calendar

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I cannot agree that the name the new pope will pick will, necessarily, give us any insight on the man's reign as pope. Oh, certainly, we might be able to discern some of the new pope's personal "likes" or "dislikes". That is to say that if he had admired Pope John Paul II, he might pick John Paul III, but he is just as likely to pick a name like Innocent or Leo. If anything, to be elected pope must be such an overwhelming experience for a man who might, for all intents and purposes, be a very religious individual that he might pick a name that has some deep personal and religious meaning for him.
I am a Roman Catholic myself. When I was confirmed, I had to pick a confirmation name....I picked St. Francis......because I liked little animals. What I am trying to say is that this is probably the case with the new pope. He could very well pick ANY name. If there were any significance to the name picked, we would probably not even know it for some time to come -- if ever. Instead of asking what the popes' new name should be, we should be asking ourselves what sort of reign the new pope will have; what are the problems facing the church? What sort of goals should the new pope work towards? How will the new pope be like the late Pope John Paul II and how will he be different? These are the questions that we should be asking. Of course, if you asked me, I think the new pope should be named Pope Bob I

new topics

top topics

join