It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I work with a top ten most wanted..What should I do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I was looking at the sherriffs office website today, and I saw a picture of a guy I work with on their "Top Ten Most Wanted". He is wanted for drug dealing and resisting arrest. It doesnt mention a reward, but I did send them an email that asked " Is there a reward if I turn someone in on your top ten list?"

Normally, I wouldnt hesitate to turn him in, especially if he is a rapist or armed robber. But, I hate to admit it, this is a nice guy. He's a dishwasher here. He's quiet but friendly. He goes mostly ignored and I am one of the few that even say "Hi" to him. But him and I talk alot. When we are outside smoking, he'll come out to empty the trash cans. They are pretty heavy, but noone helps him. I always give him a hand. Something about the guy..I've always felt sorry for him a little.

Now I'm stuck. If theres no reward at all, I'm inclined to give him a heads up, and let him know that he's "famous". If its a huge reward, I might sell him out. If its only a hundred bucks, same thing..give him a heads up. My hesitation comes from A) I like the guy B)Its just dealin and resisting...hes a black guy and this is a real segregated area. C) Ive been "let-off" many times, could this be some bad karma for me? D) its really none of my business.

What would you do? Tell him, sell him out or act like you never saw it? I'm torn on this pretty good.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Spliff, my advice to you, very strongly, is do the right thing and call the number to report his whereabouts.

Neither you nor I are a judge or a jury and it is not up to us to decide whether he is innocent or guilty of whatever he was charged with.

For some reason he is charged with serious crimes. He must stand trial for those crimes and justice will be served.

If he's nice, and maybe he didn't do anything, great, the truth will come out.

But it's not up to you to make that decision.

My personal opinion is that the right thing to do is turn him in, hard as it may seem.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ya, thats what one thought in my head is. The other says if I turn him in, am I begging fate to turn on me? My drivers license is suspended for a few mroe months, but I still drive (ilegaly) to work. I work nights and its a bit of a ride. I just had an incident with a cop 2 weekends ago. I told him I was suspended and he let me go. Now, Im thinkin, if I turn on this guy its some bad karma comin my way. This is hard to do.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I don't know if my advice would be any good but here goes.

Only you know what you really want to do deep down, and how you would feel with whatever choice you make. If you turn hm in, you are probably going to feel bad whether there is a reward or not, money won't make you feel better about it, it's just an incentive for you to do it. If you don't turn him in, you may feel bad for that, and wonder if that was a wrong decision to have made, as you sound like you have a softheart and genuine concerns over this question.
No matter what he has done, money should never play a factor when deciding what to do about someone who is wanted, it's about doing what is right, and doing whatever the choice you make you know you'll be able to live with, with a clear conscious.
I can't tell you what to do, just like the next person can't. The only thing you can do is to do what YOU know is right, and how you will feel with that choice after you make it.
Think about the pros and cons, of how you would feel, not the money, then do something.
Take Care.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by angeleyes101]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Your advice is sound, angel. Thnks for takin the time. I do feel for this guy. Im stuck in that place and here he is, a year older than me, and he's trapped. In a way he is in jail right now. But then again, I do have a family to feed and some extra $$ would really help out now.

Maybe I should just stick my head back in the sand for now. Man, having a conscience sucks. DAMN IT !!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
do what your conscience tells you. the only law you should listen to is what is in your heart, what feels right. If you dont turn him in, someone else probably will sooner or later i'm guessing so just let time take its course and you will feel guilt free. i dont know the level of friendship between you two, but dont put the state before friendship.

you shouldnt aid him however by telling him, maybe he will tell you oneday, as if you give him this revelation and the fact that you know may complicate your relationship greatly.

do you think its the right thing to do to bring harm and misfortune to someone you have positive thoughts about?

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Is he accused of violent crimes or crimes that don't hurt anyone? I think I'd have to base my decision on that, were I in your shoes.

Yeah, got to watch that karma kickback.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Is he accused of violent crimes or crimes that don't hurt anyone? I think I'd have to base my decision on that, were I in your shoes.

Yeah, got to watch that karma kickback.

The wanted ad said "drug dealing and resisting arrest. Now look at my name...Im not admitting anything here, but you can figure it out... I'm inclined to give him a heads up and leave it at that

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Do what feels right, man. He hasn't hurt anyone, from what you've stated here, so why bothe rturning him in?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Wow, that's a tough spot. Especially if you've already got karma worries. With good reason. Like you said he's not violent, but still. You e-mailed already. That would bug me. Knowing they know you know.
Something like that.

In college, I framed houses with a guy featured on America's Most Wanted for killing a family during a robbery in the midwest. He just didn't show up to work on Monday. But they got him. His weekly hotel turned him in. Still it was a freaky feeling. Having "known" him. Seemingly nice guy.

They're all nice guys. They are we. Big difference in murder and dealing though. Eh, kinda sorta.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
What kind of drugs was he dealing?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
What kind of drugs was he dealing?

Well, I'm not sure. Site doesnt say. I would imagine alot worse than a little bit of weed. This is Gary, Indiana. Pretty large community 20 minutes outside of Chicago. Its no Mayberry.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Well, I'm not sure. Site doesnt say. I would imagine alot worse than a little bit of weed. This is Gary, Indiana. Pretty large community 20 minutes outside of Chicago. Its no Mayberry.

Well try to find out. If its something major like coc aine or heroin then I say turn him in.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Turn him in. Drug dealing is a serious offense. We don't know the impact this guy has had on society. How many of his "clients" have committed serious crimes to help pay for his product? How many people have harmed someone else while under the influence from his product?

You may have worse karma by not turning him in.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
He's on their Most Wanted for dealing drugs and resisting arrest? They either have really convincing evidence that he's guilty, or they are guilty of manufacturing really convincing evidence. I wouldn't turn him in unless he hurt me or I was completely certain that he was a dangerous man who has hurt others. Sound like he doesn't fit either of those bills for you, so I would just let things go... While you can never be completely sure, it's not good to assume that the Law is the only entity that can give people a break in life or teach them a lesson. I don't feel for a second our justice system is all pure and good, and for that reason I always give people the benefit of doubt. That being said, at the very least you shouldn't turn the dude in for selfish reasons (money). I mean, come on... how crappy would you feel after doing that? Pretty crappy, I'd hope.

Green

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Couple things to consider.

This guys a dishwasher and has access to the silverware so the cops come popping in to grab him and he grabs a knife and holds it to your throat as he takes you hostage.:shk:

Then there is also the case of mistaken identity. No offense intended but sometimes I can't tell which takeout my family ordered from because the drivers all look the same to me.

By the way here's a link to a pretty funny chinese take out story.
media.ebaumsworld.com...

Also since you said that your area was very segregated maybe they exaggerate the crimes commited by minorities.

This guy might also have a family that he's trying to feed and since he's working he seems to be doing the right thing. So maybe he made a mistake in the past and he has learned his lesson, let destiny take it's course.

If it said wanted for rape, murder or something in the big boys game then I'd say turn him in. But since he's out and about and working in public I say leave him alone because if he were one of the big boy's he'd be had already.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
***UPDATE*****

Well, my conscience can rest now. I talked to my boss and he told me that this guy wears an ankle braclet and is on work release. They have to call in his schedule weekly and and at the end of every shift, my boss has to call his probation officer and let him know what time he left.

So either this is just a case of the police updating their website often enough, or our judicial system is totally screwed up. I think its the first one though. Either way, I've washed my hands of it. I've decided not to say anything to him at all. We'll just carry on as normal.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

***UPDATE*****

Well, my conscience can rest now. I talked to my boss and he told me that this guy wears an ankle braclet and is on work release. They have to call in his schedule weekly and and at the end of every shift, my boss has to call his probation officer and let him know what time he left.

So either this is just a case of the police updating their website often enough, or our judicial system is totally screwed up. I think its the first one though. Either way, I've washed my hands of it. I've decided not to say anything to him at all. We'll just carry on as normal.

Well i think you did the right thing by talking to your boss about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Ya, I've got a really cool boss, who is a good guy. He wanted to see it on the site. After he saw it, then he told me about the guys situation, so we think its just left over on there. Still though. I wonder how many people that happens to. That would suck. You get sentenced, but your still on their top ten list. I hope that warrant is gone.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Ya, I've got a really cool boss, who is a good guy. He wanted to see it on the site. After he saw it, then he told me about the guys situation, so we think its just left over on there. Still though. I wonder how many people that happens to. That would suck. You get sentenced, but your still on their top ten list. I hope that warrant is gone.

Yeah that does suck i hope the bug is just on the website and not in any actual systems they check , i could imagine something like that could totally mess up someones weekend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join