It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best bass player of all time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'd definitely agree with some of the previous choices. Less Claypool and Flee are definitely good. Less because he's got his own style, and Flee, well because he's just good

Another lesser known bassist who is darn good: Matt Freeman from the punk rock band Rancid. It's not everyone's type of music, but this guy is truely amazing and makes this band shine from most others in it's category. If you get a chance, check out the solo he does on Maxwell Murder from the "And out come the wolves" album. One of the best damn solo's I've ever heard.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
less claypool is awesome but i prefer victor wooten

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Claypool and Lee man that's tough.....both are (imho) awesome in their own right, however two totally different styles.....hard to compare...

Gene Simmons...what can I say...you don't stay around sell that many albums and have that huge of following if you're not doing something right..

One of my personal favs is Nikki Sixx (yeah I know cheesey) but you gotta admit the guy has talent past plucking the strings....

And altho I'm not a Beatles fan per say, you've gotta give credit where credit is due...McCartney

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree with whaaa. Like him, I played standup bass (in a folk group in high school in the early sixties and in an 18 piece standards band doing ellington and basie arrangements) and electric bass (years of country bands in Maryland and Arizona) both. In my never-humble opinion, Mingus was the best standup guy and Pretorious the best electric bassist around.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
although i don't think there is a one general 'best' anything player, tony levin is easily my favourite bassist.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I put forward Peter Hook.

He turned bass playing on it's head, I can't think of anyone else who can play like that. So inotive.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _Uforia_

There's a new guy from philadelphia named Garret Fox who's taking people by storm

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't think I could tell a great bassist from an average one. The instrument itself is the most underrated in the context of the "whole band". Personally, I always notice the bassline and appreciate it, but I don't think I'd be able to say what is great and what is not.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Maybe not the best, but Tal Wilkenfeld certainly puts a new face on bass playing.

I can't get it to load. Check her out on utube for a real treat.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Having been a semipro rock musician...I"m now a math major in college..go figure! The most important member of the rock band is actually the bass player. You can have a decent drummer and a decent guitarist and still make it because the bass player is phenomenal. Most people do not understand how important a great bassplayer is. I've seen many of the other nominations on this thread, but the one thing that really srikes me is how much of a band's sound is due to the bassplayer.

In this case, having seen him live solo, my vote has to go to John Entwhistle. The man was just absolutely amazing. I tried to cop riffs off him that I'd later bastardize on the guitar, but I could not see his fingers move. There has never been a bass player of this magnitude before or since.

Second would have to go to Jack Cassidy. Another amazing player!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
john paul jones is a master musician. playing bass is only one thing he is amazing at. a very melodic bass player.
marcus miller is wicked and versatile.
bootsy collins funks it hard.

the drummer is more important than the bass player, IMO. if the tempo goes, everything goes.
mind you, bass players have less freedom to fork up than guitar, keyboards or other melody or rhythm players.

the best drummer of all time?

buck nelson, hands down!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Who can choose?
.. can't find Pino Pallidino to add his video though

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Cliff Burton is (was) the best best bass player in thrash metal. Pulling Teeth great stuff

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Any true musician would pick the Ox as the greatest bassplayer of all time. The man was a monster and could run a band on his own. 80% of the Who's sound was because of the Ox.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... to this. now here's why the Ox is the greatest

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't put him in the same category as the heavyweights mentioned previously but I like to listen to Chris Squire's older stuff with Yes.

Sir Paul deserves the title

Flea's a kick in the ***

The Who flat rocks the house (hate to single anyone out)

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer

Another lesser known bassist who is darn good: Matt Freeman from the punk rock band Rancid. It's not everyone's type of music, but this guy is truely amazing and makes this band shine from most others in it's category. If you get a chance, check out the solo he does on Maxwell Murder from the "And out come the wolves" album. One of the best damn solo's I've ever heard.

For sure. Best punk bassist imo. Pretty good 20 years back in Operation Ivy too. Energy is one of my favourite punk albums ever.

Sick bass solo from Maxwell Murder-

Shame Rancid went a bit crap after Life Won't Wait.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
one of the greatest unsung bassists is definately james jamerson of the funk bros. he created such melodic motown basslines that he must be considered one of the best

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Jaco Pastorius was THE greatest bass player of all time.
I am amazed and saddened that nobody has even mentioned him. Amazed.
My Dad used to have a saying: "Sure, you say he's a good carpenter but to a good carpenter is he a good carpenter?"
I can guarantee if the bass players mentioned were polled, Jaco would come out on top. And not even a mention here.
If you had a poll on the greatest female voices ever I'm certain that this group would gush over Mariah Carey and ignore Leontyne Price.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen was a great bass player. Here playing "Donna Lee" with Joe Pass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join