It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best bass player of all time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
i've not seen one thing ever on the net any where about the best bass players, so i was wondering what any one here thinks? im going to nominate micheal balzary, aka flea of red hot chilli peppers as the best

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'll nominate John Entwistle of The Who. Probably a fairly hackneyed opinion, but so what? the man was a legend!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Geddy Lee from Rush would get my vote, though there's plenty of
others.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I'll nominate John Entwistle of The Who. Probably a fairly hackneyed opinion, but so what? the man was a legend!

Yes, I agree. John Entwistle.

I like Flee from the chillis too.

JAK

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There are too many excellent one to choose from, Les Claypool from Primus has to be one of my faves though, but then there's Louis Johnson... then again though, Mark King can be obscenely impressive when he wishes.

But really, when it comes down to the wire, it's... well.. it's me isn't it?

Jack

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Victor Wooten of The Flecktones....also Stefan Lessard of Dave Matthews Band.....and we cannot leave out jpj from Zep!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by shorty

Originally posted by Paul

Yes, I agree. John Entwistle.

I like Flee from the chillis too.

Flea, not doubt about that

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
tis' a hard question and it really depends on what music style you like. As being a bass player myself and a member of a jazz band, i also like to listen to many styles and many excellent players in their respective fields.

The greatest bass player of the mid to late 20th century has to be Jaco Pastorius. He changed everything, the electric bass was such a different instrument after him. He inspired a generation and many bass players have copied his sound.

here's some information on the man, quite a sad end to a great life :

www.jacopastorius.com...

Flea's good, he's a solid bass player and very energetic but i wouldnt count him as the greatest or in the league of the best.

Victor Wooten is interesting to watch but he totally loves himself and his style c an get boring after a while.

For my favourites of slap, i would elect Level 42's Mark King and Marcus Miller. Marcus Miller was playing on SNL at around 17 and has played with many of the jazz greats, plus no one can lay down a slap groove like he can, he brings a lot of soul to the bass.

Les Claypool is the most original popular bass player of the 90s IMO, he's good (not in the league of the best) but what makes him stand out is his riffs and licks give a totally sound, making a good use of slap n pop, tap and slide techniques.

Other notables are michael manring, jeff berlin, john pattitucci, steve hunter, stanley clarke and stewart hamm.

Larry Graham also deserves a kudos for inventing the modern slap style, as well does Louis Johnson of the brothers johnson and billie jean fame.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I reckon John Deacon.

His first instrument was the rhythm guitar, he then learned bass and joined his first band, Opposition. His first gig was at Enderby Youth Club in Leicester. John left school in 1969 with eight O levels and three A levels to attend Chelsea College in London to study Electronics. He eventually achieved 2 "S" levels in Physics & Maths and a First Class Honours degree in electronics. John is 5ft 11" tall with brown hair and greeny/grey eyes. He's married to Veronica and they have six children.

His favourite actress is Jean Alexander and he likes to drink tea. He says he has no particular favourite singer or band, but likes a bit of everything.

Source

Sanc'.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Some names to consider, but may not be the best ever-

Sting

Cliff Burton, Metallica's original bassist. Incredible musician.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
thats easy the best bass player of all time is paul mccartney before mccartney the bass was used as a conventional intrument to back up the guitar at all times when mccartney took hold of the bass he proved the bass could lead a song just as well as a guitar, buddy holly in the crickets is an example of what the beatles were inflouenced by they took that style that idea and made it faster and more melodic and gave it a catchy bass and walah u have the mersey beat sound of the british invasion! mccartneys groundwork of playing diffrent notes is really what made bass playing what it is! john lennon said in the playboy interviews ''evrything done today on the bass is a direct rip-off of paul in his beatle days'' i totally agree and my studies have proven this theory right!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I personally like paul mccartney, geddy lee, john paul jones.

each brought something different.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I would say Mark King of Level 42 is the best ( IMO ).

He could also belt out a good song with his incredible vocals !!

[edit on 17-11-2005 by Mindwalker]

[edit on 17-11-2005 by Mindwalker]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
john paul jones rarely ventured out into playing diffrent notes like on communication break down and rock n roll u rarely feel the bass cause its behind the guitar the whole time besides the lemon song is prolly my fav out of jonesy's bass work i really dont feel the bass on zeppelin, bob bogle of the ventures is a way better bass player than john paul jones who was a better keyboard player than bass player actually if memory serves me correctly that was the condition of jones joining zeppelin that he play bass cause paige had known jones for years before as a studio musician, no doubt about it mccartney is the best bass player of all time

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Im also a bass player of both upright and electric and the two styles are so completely different there needs to be two catagories.

Upright: Mingus

Electric: Jaco

Maybe 3 catagories;

Rock: Entwistle

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Been said before, this is a tough question. I wish I could put Deacon out there sanctum, Queen's my favorite band but he isn't. McCartney can play the bass, excellent at it. Best musician in the Beetles imo. Geddy Lee? Um, no. I like Flea, best, no. JPJ, hard to say, he was the black hole in a galaxy of talent.

Black sheep time. Here's a guy that can play his bass but would never be considered the best, Gene Simmons. I know, it's Kiss, but listen to his bass, the guy can play.

I guess bottom line? Sir Paul.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerry_soh_619
thats easy the best bass player of all time is paul mccartney

I am with you on that one. I have felt for years that Paul is one of the most underrated bass players of all times. When I tell this to my friends I usualy get funny looks and comments like---"Ya he could sing and was a great songwriter, but a great bass player?"

I love his playing style and he is one of the best.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
A few thoughts:

The "best" bass player ever is, undoubtedly, some person that none of us has ever heard of who, in frustration, drank himself to death in his 20s. Maybe, if s/he recorded something, later generations might discover it and venerate him/her.

My own favorite is, absolutely, Les Claypool. It's hard to measure his skill against others since much of his skill is displayed by the fact that there's nobody else who plays quite like he does. He's unique and original.

Geddy Lee is tremendously talented, as is Flea.

McCartney truly was a groundbreaking bass player, and is also extremely talented. It's odd that he doesn't generally receive the acclaim he deserves, but I've noticed that with the Beatles. It's as if the standards set by the band are so high that the individual musicians are seen as only competent. As a bit of a side issue to illustrate that point-- Ringo is one of the most underrated drummers ever-- not much flash, but absolutely dead on all the time, in every song.

The same could be said for John Entwistle, who, as a member of the Who, was sort of secondary to the image of the entire band.

I love the mention of Gene Simmons. Kiss is another of those bands that has such a strong group identity that people often forget how skilled the individual members are.

In that regard too, I would mention Cliff Williams of AC/DC. He's not a standout on his own, but is a part of one of the most solid rhythm sections ever in rock music. The same could be said of Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith-- another musician who's underrated simply because his band lives up to higher standards.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I would have to agree and say that I'm a big fan of Flea from RHCP. He can play some of the greatest strings I've ever heard.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
There are many good bass players mentioned here.

Don´t forget Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, etc....)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join