It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 lost tribes of israel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
300 BCE the assyrians captured ten northern tribes of israel, and according to the bible they never returned to their homeland. Where did they go? According to some archaeolgist believe the 10 tribes went north to europe. this is based on records of the assyrians expelling the tribes. some claim that the british are one of the lost tribes. since their name in hebrew is "people of the covenant". according to some genetists the ability to metablize lactic acid comes from a man living in the middle east long ago. if you look at percentages of lactose intolerant people you get thes numbers. Caucasian 2-19% Africans 70-80% Asians 95-100%. so you see the majority who have this trait are Caucasians. Looks like they might have found where SOME of the lost tribes went. some apparently went to africa and asia.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hi ,
Remember reading about the tribes of Israel.....

From what I can remember(not certain though) the tribes of Israel are to go back to Israel....
This actually relates to the Jewish people (Orthodox Jews...again, not certain 100%)about building the Solomons Temple and to do this, they must have the true lineage(According to Ultra Orthodox Jews)of all the tribes of Israel....
Sorry, I cannot remember exactly what was written.....but it has to do with the Jews preparing for the Mashiach.....which is prayers done at the Passover (Old Testament)
If Iam wrong ..please anyone correct me....
thanks....
helen....

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have seen a few tribes in Africa on TV with garb that resembles ancient Jewish garb and traditions that are similar as well.

Having them be one of the ten lost tribes is sadly unable to be proven for obvious reasons, but definitely a fascinating theory to consider.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here is another thread that might help you find the answer you are looking for
It could be that one of the tribes are the Jews of India and another the Jews of Ethiopia. 8 more still unaccounted for me

Where are the 12 tribes of ancient Israel today?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Jews in india ??
I think these jewish tribes were Caucasian and the jews who are in india are mainly people converted to Judism not the true jews of Isreal. IMHo I think these tribes are distributed over Europe and the middle east. Some of these tribes could have died out or converted into islam during the muslim occupations of Isreal.
I've heard of Jews from Iran though maybe they are true Isrealites!! . Also many could have secretly changed faith and practising judism so that they are not persecuted.

Looking for the Lost tribes

[edit on 8-4-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I have seen a few tribes in Africa on TV with garb that resembles ancient Jewish garb and traditions that are similar as well.

Having them be one of the ten lost tribes is sadly unable to be proven for obvious reasons, but definitely a fascinating theory to consider.

I also saw that on the History Channel, Digging for the Truth episode "The Lost Tribe of Israel", and they were able to find remnants of Jewish artifacts along the migration. I also read in Discovery magazine (I think), where they ran DNA tests, and found the people there have the same Y chromosome as other Jewish priests in Isreal. Sorry, not very medically literate.

[edit on 8/4/05 by Hal9000]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The Assyrians had a programme of invading an area, taking up the inhabitants, and spreading them throughout their large empire to make it difficult for them to organize any resistance.
external image

Its difficult to organize a resistance when you are a minority and foreigners in a 'strange land' with a brutal society.

external image
"assyrian prisoners"

There are muslim tribes in afghanistan that claim descendancy from jews. There are groups in kashmir and the like that similarly claim such decendancy.

I rounded up a couple of other threads on this.
Lost Tribe of Isreal
Where are the 12 tribes of ancient Israel today?
India's 'lost Jews'

The indian-jewish thing isn't so far fetched. The Assyrians made sure that the jews got dispersed all over. Also, there are some indications that the dravidians, an ancient peoples inhabiting the indus river valley, might have spoken a language that was part of the Elamo-Dravidian family. However there is nothing approaching consensus on this.

Also, here is a pdf on Y-chromosome genetics of india, I don't think it goes very far in supporting the specific idea that there is a 'jewish' component, since its been a while since I read that paper, and also because the science isn't necessarily addressed at that question. But its interesting information nonentheless.

On the lost tribes specifically tho, well, the assyrian domination period is whats called the 'Babylonian Captivity'in jewish history, and the Iraqi Jews are, as far as I know, supposed to be descendants of the captured jews. The period of the Captivity, I think, is also when the Talmud is largely composed. I'm unclear tho if they make a claim at being the lost tribe, because apparently there was communication between them and the israeli jews thru history. However, they never 'returned' to 'zion', so perhaps they infact are what ancient writters mean when talking about the lost tribes.

The Assyrians, if anyone has ever noticed in their artwork, were weirdly obsessed with making everything over muscularized and what not. They were a ver militarisitic society. I recall being in london and seeing a wall carving that depicted them putting down a rebellion. By the end the river is filled with corpses and broken chariots, the king is surrounded and beheaded, and the village elders are next shown having dug up their ancestors and grinding in mortars their bones into dust.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have heard of 10 lost tribes, i did not know there were 12, but regardless if the india and ethiopian jews are parts of a lost tribe that still leaves several unaccounted for.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
There were twelve tribes, one was split, making 13. Don’t confuse “Israelites” with Jews. Jews are decendents of only one tribe. The tribe of Judah. That is why they are called “Jews”. When the tribes were released from captivity by the Assyrians only the tribe of Judah (and a portion of the tribe of Benjamin) returned to Israel. By that time the tribes had grown so huge there was not enough land in Israel to support them. The other tribes wandered up into Europe and England and settled and intermarried.

The tribes might be “lost” to us but they are obviously not lost to God. In Revelations he tells us he will choose 12,000 from “each” tribe. The tribe of Dan is conspicuously absent. Funny - the British royals have claimed for centuries to be descended from the tribe of Dan. Guess they’ll be left out of the fun.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually, the 12 tribes of Israel are sort of like distant relatives of the Islams. They are all decendents of Abraham.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Perhaps they died out. Been a long time since they were last seen

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They could have died out but i would imagine they were just absorbed into another society.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Perhaps a search for vaguely Jewish traditions amoung cultures with little contact with Jews could show where some were absorbed?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They have done that to some degree but i think if the tribes really wanted to hide they would have been almost absorbed completly.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I've been interested in this buject for quite a while and this is whatI was able to come up with:

Some of the lost tribes are none other than the some of the Afghan Pashtun tribes (the Taliban)
www.totallyjewish.com...

Now they hate Jews and Israel even though they are from the tribes of Israel (Islamic brainwashing).

There is the Lemba tribe of Africa which claims Jewish ancestry. There is some genetic and historic evidence to this.
www.pbs.org...

There is the Bnei Menashe Indians in India who have been accepted as one of the lost tribes.
jewishtucson.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
You have to be careful when trying to describe the Ancient Tribe of Israel. You see, people automatically think Jew...and think of Western Jews. Which is incorrect. Actually recent studies have shown that western jews are actually the descendents of converts. And not the actual descendents of the Tribe of Israel. You guys should really read a book called The 13th Tribe. It's written by a Jewish man himself (just so you don't think it's some anti-semetic thing).

13th Tribe

I do think more research needs to be looked into about that though. I have to go now...I'll post tomarrow.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koola
You have to be careful when trying to describe the Ancient Tribe of Israel. You see, people automatically think Jew...and think of Western Jews. Which is incorrect. Actually recent studies have shown that western jews are actually the descendents of converts. And not the actual descendents of the Tribe of Israel. You guys should really read a book called The 13th Tribe. It's written by a Jewish man himself (just so you don't think it's some anti-semetic thing).

13th Tribe

I do think more research needs to be looked into about that though. I have to go now...I'll post tomarrow.

In actuality your claims are totally false.
It has been proven that there is a genetic link between the Jews from N. Africa, Iraq, Jewish Kurds, Yemenites and European Jews.
www.freerepublic.com...

In addition:

These results are grossly inconsistent with the notion that the Ashkenazim are descended, to any significant degree, from the Khazars or some Slavic group. Such claims have often rested on the large numbers of Ashkenazim, relative to the small numbers of German Jews a thousand years ago. However, the genetic evidence supports the notion that the Ashkenazim are descended from a small ancestral population.

From tarkus.pha.jhu.edu...

Threre are additional sites that discuss this.

[edit on 15/4/05 by JudahMaccabbi]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The Original Israelites

You should really read the Bible and how it describes the Ancient Israelites. Though, I think that now...yes their descendents are pretty much mixed and all over the world. Plus, if you believe in the Bible, you'd know that the people in Israel now is not the Biblical Nation of Israel. It's believed that when the jews reclaimed Israel in 1948, Biblical prophecy was fulfilled when it said they would do that.

www.eschatology.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I still believe that the Native Americans consist of...(if I remember right) 3 of the lost tribes. There is nothing written to back this up though. All their history is oral. Mayans as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
For some reason this topic seems to really grab some people. However alot of fancy seems to go into the topic. How much is wishful thinking verses fact escapes me.

To my knowlege most of what today are called European Jews are from a stock called Ashkenazi...people who adopted Judiasm centurys ago. They are not biological Jews ..or Shephardic. As I understand it the Ethiopian Jews are Shephardic verses much of what is in Israel today.

I think some of you miss something that is obvious to me if you read certain historys. My first hint of this history was some points made in a book titled "Food In History". Ironic of all things. What was described in this book of all things was the ancient trade routes where spices and richs were transported in the Olde Days...the caravan routes. Some of these routes go back thousands of years.
My point is that a conquered people ,as some have posted in this board...are assimilated into a society often as slaves. They often accompany the trade routes by the daily buisness of commerce. Some are sold etc etc etc. Hence the trade routes are often the manner in which they are spread throughout various empires....Through commerce.
This is sometimes an arena overlooked when searching a subject like this. Yes the wars and conflicts are important benchmarks of empires..etc...but when the dust settles it is buisness as usual...commerce continues.
Commerce is how captured peoples are spread through out the world...during wars and in between wars. Find the commerce routes in different times in History. Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join