It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we need God anymore?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
AF1

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Do we need God?

I just want some thoughts and opinons on this before I post my feelings.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
He is the reason y we r hear he/she just wants us to develop in the way we live, finding answers for questions that can never be answered. Are existence is clear, we live, breath, feel the presence the man upstairs. Those faithful ones will be rewarded when the death comes and takes'em away.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well, to be perfectly honest, one can deny God; one can say He doesn't exist; one can say that one doesn't need God.......it's obviously a matter of choice.

The problem is that God will continue to be. Some of us have known this; some of us know it now; some of us will come to know it in the future......God is All, Everything, and Everywhere. God cannot be bound by a book, nor a religion, nor anything else......God works on a personal level.

Be assurd, you might not want to know Him, you can deny Him, you can claim He doesn't exist, but God has a way of making His Presence and knowledge of Him known......its really not a matter of "if," its a matter of "when."

"Seek no the unattainable, but the unavoidable."

"If believing in God is irrational, not believing in God is absurd......."

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 21-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If God so much looks away from the earth, in a blink of an eye this earth will be completely destroyed.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As far as I can tell we need him more now than ever before in the history of mankind. If the S.O.B.' is com'in he better make by Ten!'

tut tut

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
First of all, I'd love to know why you are asking the question..Do you feel you need Him? I would agree with all replies here that yes we do need Him..He needs us to need Him...

Illmatic~I never really thought about it like that...but I'd say as a whole maybe He is here..(though I really think He's on a coffee break) But He can leave individuals..And you are right, your life becomes chaos and can be destroyed if we don't make the right calls and find our way back to Him again..or call out to Him...I've been very angry with God before, but realized how selfish I was being and I apoligized and felt immediate relief/peace..

You know though, I couldn't really imagine the feeling of not needing Him..even if I feel He's busy with someone who needs Him more..
Magestica

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 03:33 AM
link   
No!!!!!!

If god is still alive we must kill him because he in slaves us. we can be superior to god but to do that we must kill god.

Kill god.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcana imperii
No!!!!!!

If god is still alive we must kill him because he in slaves us. we can be superior to god but to do that we must kill god.

Kill god.
If u wanna kill god now start by killing ur self!
Only then u will go to heaven then straight to hell
he he i hope u have sun tan lotion with 500,000 spf!

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by hellfireburns]

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
If God so much looks away from the earth, in a blink of an eye this earth will be completely destroyed.

Completely true.
maybe dissolved is a better word, but its a detail

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
....500,000 SPF....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
arcana sounds like a smaller version of lucifer.

You know, Satanic cults are bad for your mind.
Why give up eternal life for supernatural (demonic) powers on the material Earth?

If it wasn't for God, I wouldn't have typed this and you wouldn't be reading this.

Tassadar

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus....eventually, we'll outgrow God as well....just might take longer...*sigh*

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   

the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus....eventually, we'll outgrow God as well....just might take longer...*sigh*

Heh, I actually stoped beliving in all that nonsense I was being fed in Catholic school years before I stopped believing in Santa. Maybe it's because I actually saw "evidence" of Santa.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by arcana imperii
No!!!!!!

Kill god.

=========================================

Good luck there buddy. Once you locate the Big Head and slay him and take over the Universe and seize the reigns and are in absolute control of the Harmonic expansion of the Universe, I look forward to reading your book

Tut

AF1

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here are my thoughts:

Last weekend my parents asked me to go to church with them, and I declined. I haven't been to church since about Christmas. I got to thinking, and wondered why some people need this belief in a higher power.

Why do some people have such a belief? Is it because they are weak-minded, or is there truly something there? I've never experienced 'God', even though for the last 4 years I have searched and searched. I have gotten to the point where I just gave up. Does it mean I'm right? Not neccesarily, but throughout those 4 years I have been through a lot, and have matured and grew up without this belief that so many others have. Does that mean I'm going to hell because of this. I believe I am a good person, but just because I have no faith means I go to hell?

Throughout time, Humans have always used the idea of God to explain why things happen. Everything that happened was because of God to them. Now we have gotten to the point where we have such a better grasp for reality, that we can explain these things.

Everyday is the same, the sun rises because the earth rotates, my jeep starts cuz i turn the key, I make it to work because I have enough gas etc etc etc. No miracles there.

Everyday science saves thousands of lives, and everday thousands more die because of our faults. No divine intervention there either.

What I'm trying to get at is that slowly through our human evolution, less and less will we have to rely on some belief and more on our own abilities as humans to get through life. If you feel the need for a god, then so be it, as for me I don't know yet.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx

Heh, I actually stoped beliving in all that nonsense I was being fed in Catholic school years before I stopped believing in Santa. Maybe it's because I actually saw "evidence" of Santa.

========================================

I also Flinx,

First grade I went home and told my Mama, " If those mean stupid penguins who beat me every day work for God, I don't need him" proceeded to public school as an athiest.
Then one day after suffering extreme personal trauma I stumbled thru the streets pondering suicide and questiong mans inhumanity to man, exhausted I fell asleep. About an hour later I awoke in a overly exhilirated state of incomprehisible awarenss, with pyschic, mental, and control over the physical, capabilities that nearly drove me insane as well as those around me.
It was alltogether too much at the time. I eventually returned to normalacy, for lack of a better term. At least I am slightly more socially acceptable.
What I came away with was a knowledge of GOD and his point of view, so to speak. He is there, he touched me!

Silently I might add, TUT

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AF1
Here are my thoughts:

What I'm trying to get at is that slowly through our human evolution, less and less will we have to rely on some belief and more on our own abilities as humans to get through life. If you feel the need for a god, then so be it, as for me I don't know yet.
========================================

And here are mine,

The evolution of man and science has been incredible, and expotetial in the last 50 or so years. However our humanity has spiraled at the same rate in a opposite direction. I belive we need the presence and actions of God now more than ever in our brilliant history if we are to surrvive and prosper. I must also add you will not find him in a church, you may attempt to petition the Lord with prayer there.
However, you can not petition the Lord with prayer

Good Luck Son

Tut

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If you think it was God that helped you Tut, then good. I have had no such revelation and until I do I'll have to settle for not knowing. I really don't spend much time worrying about it.

I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic. I also think there's most likely something after death. But I don't think that the human mind could even start to understand the true nature of the universe. I don't think the universe is as simplistic as many religions would have us believe. How do they know? How does anyone know? A person or religion can claim God spoke to them and gave them the answers, but why should you believe that guy and not the other million claiming the same thing but preaching a million different doctrines?

I don't there's just some anthropromorphic deity watching us waiting to send us to hell or heaven. From what I've seen with my own eyes I can tell that the universe can't be that simplist. That...boring.

AF1, as for humans evolving past the need for religion, I'm not sure it's going to happen. Look at us now, technology that lets us talk to people on the other side of the world, that lets us fly to the moon, etc. But still people have primitive, oppressive religious structures that they impose on others. If nothing else, it's just getting worse...

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The reason the world is in such a mess is because we do not care much about what God wants us to be .......though we do know of Him we do not do enough to change our lives to become better people and be happy with what we have......Yes some have more or less then others .....

It's not a matter of just saying'''Do we need God anymore''?
God always will be around and if we truly seek Him we can find Him ......not only in times of strife but when things go well for us.....we ask for help when we feel depressed,sick or when things are not going too good or when in need of something.....then we just go living back to our old ways,we forget God because we feel that we do not need Him anymore.........but God will always be here for us.......God has not changed .......It is people that have changed and think that God is not needed ....We forget God when our lives go according to how we want them but when things go bad we seem to blame God for the things we create ......It just proves that God is needed all the time in the times of good and the times of bad......and today God is needed more because people live lives to please themselves and find pleasure in doing what makes them happy for this world .........not looking at what will befall mankind in the resurrection because all will be judged and all will not escape the death bed.......whether one is rich or poor it wont matter in the next life.....all mankind will meet their creator and answer to Him........
I know there are some people that do not believe in God....yes it may be true but deep down inside the soul thirsts for God and God cannot reside in a body of someone who wishes to push God away......
You cannot plant a seed in soil that is bad .....it will not survive........First you make sure the soil is right and is capable of having the proper nourishment for the seed to grow........the the seed will grow to it's kind......It's the same with a human body......God will only reside if one looks after the body with care......
hmmmm does that make sense?
helen.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I pose a new question. Does GOD need us anymore?
Don't turn around, wouldn't want to see any of ya turned to salt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join