It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Information Found After Drilling Earth's Crust. (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I found this Interesting,I find that For a much as we know about the rest of the universe we know VERY LITTLE about our own planet. Our own planet not Mars or Jupiter`s moons may end up being the most interesting subject of Scientific study.Like Ice core`s it seems that the drilling of what I call EARTH core`s is revealing quite allot of information itself

www.livescience.com
Scientist said this week they had drilled into the lower section of Earth's crust for the first time and were poised to break through to the mantle in coming years.

The Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP) seeks the elusive "Moho," a boundary formally known as the Mohorovicic discontinuity. It marks the division between Earth's brittle outer crust and the hotter, softer mantle.

The depth of the Moho varies. This latest effort, which drilled 4,644 feet (1,416 meters) below the ocean sea floor, appears to have been 1,000 feet off to the side of where it needed to be to pierce the Moho, according to one reading of seismic data used to map the crust's varying thickness.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I thought that this was a very interesting article in the fact that it shows that as a world we need to realize how amazing our world is.Once we fully explore our world I think that we will find that there is allot more to our world than most scientific minds had ever thought there were.Lets hope that exciting research like this continues to bring us new and awesome discoveries.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

edited for all caps in title

[edit on 4-8-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I am confused. Where does all this artwork relating to the thickness of the earth's crust and such come from if no one has ever pierced the mantle before?

(pbs)

All speculation and guesswork?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
We know about the structure of the Earth through analyzing earthquake recordings and the way their vibrations move through the Earth's different layers.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Seems that if we dig too deep and into certain layers of the earth's crust we could trigger a massive volcanic type eruption. Is this wise to dig this deep into the Earth?

Hey! Let's see how many ways we can destroy the planet. We don't have enough yet!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
Seems that if we dig too deep and into certain layers of the earth's crust we could trigger a massive volcanic type eruption. Is this wise to dig this deep into the Earth?

I was just thinking the same thing! Also..couldn't it cause earthquakes as well, or maybe tsunamis? You would think that the vibrations coming from drilling that deep in the earth would destabalize it wouldnt it?

Maybe a dumb thought but I dont know to much about this stuff.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Seems that if we dig too deep and into certain layers of the earth's crust we could trigger a massive volcanic type eruption.

Pretty unlikely.

For one thing, we're talking a probe with a diameter that's less than the circumference of a child's body. If you did manage (somehow) to get a drill down far enough to touch magma (without melting the drill), the lava would plug the hole when it got to cooler regions.

We see this many times here on the surface of the earth, when underground lava flows come close to the surface (they're called "dykes" if the caves and layers of rock that they flow through are "up and down" (vertical) and "sills" if the flow is horizontal (sideways.) None of those has ever triggered yet another volcano.

We also get intrusions and lenticulates and ... there's all sorts of fascinating things that happen, but magma from a tube that tiny isn't going to "weaken" anything or do any major amounts of disruption (or minor ones, for that matter.)

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Termite197
I was just thinking the same thing! Also..couldn't it cause earthquakes as well, or maybe tsunamis? You would think that the vibrations coming from drilling that deep in the earth would destabalize it wouldnt it?

The size of the drill compared to the size of the Earth is about the same as... say.. the size of a needle for giving shots is to an elephant.

A medical needle inserted into a vein and then withdrawn isn't going to cause the elephant to drop dead or bleed to death. Nor will the elephant notice something like that any more than it notices the biting flies and mosquitoes.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Seems that if we dig too deep and into certain layers of the earth's crust we could trigger a massive volcanic type eruption.

Pretty unlikely.

For one thing, we're talking a probe with a diameter that's less than the circumference of a child's body. If you did manage (somehow) to get a drill down far enough to touch magma (without melting the drill), the lava would plug the hole when it got to cooler regions.

We see this many times here on the surface of the earth, when underground lava flows come close to the surface (they're called "dykes" if the caves and layers of rock that they flow through are "up and down" (vertical) and "sills" if the flow is horizontal (sideways.) None of those has ever triggered yet another volcano.

We also get intrusions and lenticulates and ... there's all sorts of fascinating things that happen, but magma from a tube that tiny isn't going to "weaken" anything or do any major amounts of disruption (or minor ones, for that matter.)

Good point, thanks!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
True.. but if you had a ballon the size of an elephant.. Pop!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
But the Earth isn't a ballon...

[edit on 8/4/05 by cmdrpaddy]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Interesting info.

But I wonder whats really under our earth?

I bet its another world, different from ours

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There is pressure under the earth right?
If so....then wouldnt it be possible that drilling into the earth would cause release in this pressure sometimes somehow? And if that happens how do we know it wont start a chain reaction? I think we know a lot less about the planet earth then we think.

top topics

join