It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful =big paychecks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Do good looks equal higher pay and statice? I was just watching the local news channel 4 Buffalo New York and heard a story about good looking people making an average of 30 to 70% higher than the "average" person. Is this an indication of how shallow our society is or does it go deeper than than that?

Take a look at most CEO's and what do they have in common? The are on average 3 inches taller then most of us,and aside from Donald Trump very good looking,

Most sport figures are also good looking, in fact I can't think of a single "superstar" who is not very attractive, is this coincidence or do we choose every aspect of our role models on what they look like?

Our politicians, our famous lawyers, our sport figures, our entertainment figures, is this all based what they look like. Are we that pathetic?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
George W Bush, of average height with all the physical appeal of a chimpanzee-babboon cross, and no track record of success in life, runs counter to your trend, representing a nadir in homo sapiens breeding and the importance of other aspects of 'family ties'.

But he is a role model for all unthinking apathists and apologists. Praise be.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes, but the alternative was even worse! The lesser of two evils!

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
John Kerry is taller....

But we neglected to consider that Dubya is a poorly paid POTUS relative to some ... he must put food on the table through other ventures.

Short people got no reason to live...?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It is not my choice it is just the way it is.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There's a lot of research that supports the point that people will look at you and pay attention to you if you're both tall and extremely good-looking. Age isn't a factor if you are unusually good-looking.

You can overcome this somewhat by vivacity and intelligence and an excellent sense of humor... but first you have to get them to listen to you.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
There's a lot of research that supports the point that people will look at you and pay attention to you if you're both tall and extremely good-looking. Age isn't a factor if you are unusually good-looking.

You can overcome this somewhat by vivacity and intelligence and an excellent sense of humor... but first you have to get them to listen to you.

Interestingly (to me), the first article I googled looking for the net worth of that oh so handsome man Michael Moore was an angry diatribe on the rich "leftists" that rule the world.

George Soros, Bill Gates, Mike Moore, Fidel Castro, Kim Jong Il, and Jay Leno.
Whatever.

Some real lookers aren't they? And let's throw in Al Franken, John Scary and everyone that's ever been on PBS or the BBC just for good measure.

Comparitively we have...

The Bush's as cowboys, Coulter's in miniskits, O'Reilly's in snazzy suits, manly Mannity's and all the FOXNEWS Channel Stewardesses.

Lack of vivacity, intelligence and an excellent sense of humor overcome by good looks?

So no jeeze louise. We are not all that pathetic. Just some of us.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Well try this experiment yourself, find the ugliest person you can, set up a yard sale, have the ugly person sell your stuff.
The next weekend, find the foxiest person you can, have them sell your stuff.

Now see who sells more.

Ok for another experiment, find a bunch of ugly obese short people, fill an office with them.
See how fast you stop like going to work.
For a change of scenery, fill the place with really good looking people...see how much you pay attention to your own looks before going in with the idea of seducing one of your co-workers.

Lets look at the animal kingdom, even birds will pick the most colorful, fancy male bird to mate with.

You know tall good looking men are more likely to breed than short ugly men, why?
Because women choose who to bare children with.

Mammals tend use sniffing, that really won't go over well in the workplace :"Your resume is impressive, but let me sniff your ass".
Although pheromes do play a role in the "chemistry" between humans, its just not something you notice.

Spiders on the other hand sample the potency of the suitors sperm..this won't work for humans, especially in the workplace: "Well your resume looks impressive, but let me taste your sperm before I hire you."

Did the story study a single company of 100 or more employees, or just a random sampling.
Question 1. are you ugly?
Question 2 how much money do you make?

"Superstars" looking good, well, lets see, how much money would Madonna have made if she was a 400 pound 3 foot tall toad woman? lets see...uh...none

Barba Streisand...or Cher.or that scrawny Canadian chick whatsername..they made mounds of money and I would jump out of bed screaming like a little girl if I found either one of them laying next to me.
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder there.

Cops make alot of money, but hey, some of them are ugly lard asses. My old neighbor is a cop, makes great cash, just bought a house, he's been bald since he was 20 something. Hardly Mr. sexy.

I on the other hand am good looking and tall, and I'm unemployed, whats up with that?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by Byrd

Interestingly (to me), the first article I googled looking for the net worth of that oh so handsome man Michael Moore was an angry diatribe on the rich "leftists" that rule the world.

George Soros, Bill Gates, Mike Moore, Fidel Castro, Kim Jong Il, and Jay Leno.
Whatever.

Some real lookers aren't they? And let's throw in Al Franken, John Scary and everyone that's ever been on PBS or the BBC just for good measure.

Comparitively we have...

The Bush's as cowboys, Coulter's in miniskits, O'Reilly's in snazzy suits, manly Mannity's and all the FOXNEWS Channel Stewardesses.

Lack of vivacity, intelligence and an excellent sense of humor overcome by good looks?

So no jeeze louise. We are not all that pathetic. Just some of us.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by RANT]

He's right. There is a direct correlation of money to good looks and being tall. I have noticed that most of your higher class or white collar jobs go to persons who are more than average in the looks dept. It could be fair to say that brains do not always follow suit. I have seen beautiful ladies who held management positions who could not add 2+2 and I was convinced at the time they got the job either on their looks or on their knees. Not only does this apply to the females but it could be true of some men.
Have you ever seen a lady in a high paying/exposure job that was ugly? Not me. I know it is not fair to promote or be elevated just on ones looks but it happens every day in every business or market there is.
This would be a good thread to do some research on and look forward to seeing someone taking off with it.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is a well-known phenomenom. Take a look at papers by Daniel Hamermesh (dating back to at least 1994) if you want the full story. PDF files are available on his website, which should be turned up quickly on google.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think the looks apply to politicians and secretaries. I don't think looks matter over qualification. Although it wouldn't hurt to have an attractive salesman.

Maybe that is me.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
As Byrd said, a less attractive person can close the gap by being energetic and intelligent- especially if that intelligence shows in the form of wit and good conversational skills.
The inverse is true as well- a perfect ten can ruin it by being an introvert.

People who have to deal with customers in larger transactions are expected to be charismatic. Looks alone aren't what does it. Go to Denny's then go to Outback Steakhouse. Not only are the people at Outback more fun to look at, but they talk to you more, they seem happier, and they are funnier.

Every once in a while you meet somebody who you just know is good at everything. They almost invariably are good looking. You can't see anything they would be self conscious about. They stand, walk, and talk like they know what they are doing, because they aren't overly self conscious (and looking good is just part of the reason they don't have to be).

Find an attractive person who's a little on the dumb side and talk to them. If you actually engage them they take on a somewhat uneasy tone- they pause awkwardly before speaking then answer faster. Then you'll notice that at least part of the initial effect of their physical bearing is gone.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yes looks and money have a lot in common, my grandmother told me, when I was a skinny bony 14 years old that "when you are not born beautiful you make yourself beautiful, it will save you many bad days ahead"

My mother used to fuss about my clothes and shoes (she is a shoe fanatic) she said to me "the way you present yourself will help open many doors" when I asked her what she mean by that she said " People treat you different depending how you look and how you dress"

Well I learn from the experts and I found out that they were right.

Occurs mother nature was a big help too.

And the words of wisdom I passed them to my daughter she is lucky because what I lacked in height my daughter made for it at 5'9"

I never leave home without my lipstick and make up...............and the right color shoes.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
For some jobs you need a special tecnical trick, a bussiness or political skill, that just doesn't come standard with the beauty package and only allows capable people to fill up that niche, (Bill gates, Janet Reno for example, the more specific/difficult/unique the skill, the less beauty is a requirement.

I think beauty does however do a lot for the average/below average intelligent people, getting granted a few free steps up rthe social ladder, also jobs that revolve about public image, like tv-presenters, singers, dancers etc make the plastic surgeons rich.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
As a good-looking tall man, I support this endeavor.

We've known it for ages. People like to be happy, and people are happy when they look at nice things. That includes shiny objects, big objects, and pretty objects. It's only natural. All other things being equal (and they're not) everyone would rather have something pleasing to look at than not.

It's when looks get mixed up for skill that problems arise (See Numerous Actors, Failed Career). It's obviously not uncommon, but people are often blind and shallow.

Most presidents and succesfull people have been above average height. I tell this to my 5'1" friends a lot.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I think being homely and matronly, wearing thick heels and having a nasty i will chew you up and spit you out look on your face gets you the money too. LOL...of course, i wouldnt know.

I check for wrinkles every night.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Im pretty hot. Ive been told Steven Baldwin-ish. My looks have definitly helped in my career. Sad but true. Kerry is a far more handsome man than W. so he should have won. Theres true talent but W really doesnt have any. If Kerry were prez wed have better world relations just cause hes good looking. Rediculous I know. Look at JFK though. The biggest reason he won was because he was so good looking. He wasnt a very good president.

Text

Am now waiting for the scathing responses to me saying Im hot...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think studies like these are BS

how can "good lookingness" even be measured in a regression analysis? And there are just soo many more confounding variables. There are soo many possible biases and your null hypothesis totally determines what comes out of the study. Of course, the study is not even close to experimental.

therefore, study is BS

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It is true. Those with stunning good looks, fit, muscular bodies and amazing physical charisma are destined to be rich and better than the rest of us. Don't believe me? Well just check out this guy:

external image

This is Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft and 7th richest man in the world. What a stunner!! Look into those beady, little piggy eyes, and the way he pokes his tongue out so subtly, yet soooo suggestively. Control yourself ladies, coz this guy is SEEEEEEEEXXY!!

The sweaty, intense look. Oooooohhh~~ HOT!!

The boy next door look. Couldn't you just hug him!!

The coy look. You want him...and you know it.

The intellectual look. Brains are sexy too!

"Grrrrrrrhh!~ I'm the LUUUUURVVE Frankenstein."

But Steve's talents don't just stop at dashing good looks. He's a sizzling-hot, funky, dancin' man! Check out his lates music videos!! Somebody STOP ME!!
www.tarmo.fi...
www.tarmo.fi...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Fantastic post wecomeinpeace.

But, you know, microsoft is in an arena where looks are hidden because you're not selling yourself, you're selling a product. They can hide behind the (blue) screen (of death) as opposed to people in an office (no pun intended!) environment who are in the proximity of others.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join