It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hole Drilled to Bottom of Earth's Crust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Scientist said this week they had drilled into the lower section of Earth's crust for the first time and were poised to break through to the mantle in coming years.

This Article Explains it all. Apparently, they are poised to reach the mantle.

The Project's Website is pretty interesting as well. Perhaps if they keep digging they'll find T-Rex Soft Tissue or the secret underground lair of Reptillians.

[edit on 4/7/2005 by darwinman1]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thanks, I wonder what will happen when they break through. I assume it will harden immediately like a volcano would. I look forward to the science regarding the formation of earth that can be had by the material that is being captured.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Could be like popping a zit. Not sure if its a good idea. Ever poked a hole in a water balloon? Its hard to do without the whole thing exploding all over you. Perhaps the scientists did not read the label clearly posted on the earth's crust:

Warning: Do Not Puncture
Contents Under Extreme Pressure

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by darwinman1
Could be like popping a zit. Not sure if its a good idea. Ever poked a hole in a water balloon? Its hard to do without the whole thing exploding all over you. Perhaps the scientists did not read the label clearly posted on the earth's crust:

*chokes and sprays water everywhere*

I recon it wouldn't be very safe to puncture
the drill would melt
the magma would splurt up and you would get a coloured old faithful (that would and lots of crispy things

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by darwinman1

Lol nice that made me giggle a bit. But im sure the people doing this are a bit more well informed than we are. I wonder when the Reptiles will launch there super secret surprise attack?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
as part of the design process in a lot of physics experiments, yoiu have to consider the danger to the planet or even the universe (just incase you do something silly like create a black hole under switzaland)

If it work for physics why not Geology too?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
if you go to the usgs web site and check out the info on california's long valley uplift, you'll find out that they are thinking about drilling a hole to the magma chamber under it. now i'm not to sure that doing so would be a good idea but thats one of the idea's being bounced around

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
those scientists are in for a huge surprise. don't they know that beneath the crust is middle earth, which is inahbited by al kinds of creatures? someone send them the hollow earth primer.

Imagine spending your whole life truly believing the earth is hollow and then some scientist simply drills a hole down and down and down and finds nothing but more earth. I suspect a lot of very disappointed hollow earth suicides.

pao

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
thats gotta be some job. i hope nothing comes out. aliens or ufos or anything...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
im not familiair with the hollow earth theory at all so i just wonder if the earth is hollow what keeps it from collapsing?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The answer to what keeps the earth from collapsing is quite simple really, centrifugal force...duh!

LOL

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nice try, but if there were that much centrifugal (Enought to keep a hollow earth expanded) then we would have been thrown off to tht moon.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
dbates.....sorry, you missed my sarcasm. I was joking.

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
centrifugal force, that and the magma steam pressure keep hollow earth chamber from collapsing, the dragons that live down there can spit fire, so breathing hot steam should not be a problem.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I bet its filled with jello.

Thats the only explination for jello volcanoes.

Or maybe just a bunch of magma...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
AAAAAAAAAAARG

theres no such thing as centrifugal force

its centripetal force and its the acceleration to the centre.

new topics

top topics

join