It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Yushchenko Confirms - Nuclear Capable Missiles Smuggled to Iran and China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has confirmed Ukrainian government official's report that as many as twenty X-55 (Kh-55s or AS-15s) cruise missiles were smuggled to Iran and China under the administration of former President Leonid Kuchma. Russian, Ukrainian and Australian citizens have been implicated in the investigation, which is reported to be actively hindered by former officials of the Kuchma administration.

www.wpherald.com
"These cruise missiles were hidden on military depots of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry under the control of [the Defense Ministry] and under documentation signed by senior officials of the ministry, saying they were in fact designated as destroyed," stated the letter, which was first reported on by the Associated Press in February.

According to the letter, the Kh-55 missile deal began in 2000, when the two Russians connected to a foreign trade company known as Progress provided a false contract for the Russian state arms-export company Rosvoorouzhenie to buy 20 cruise missiles.

Six missiles were sent by aircraft to China in April 2000 with the help of the two Russians and a reserve officer of the Ukrainian intelligence service who headed the Ukrazviazakaz company in Kiev.

The Russians were paid $600,000 to transport the missiles through several front companies, including firms in the United States, Cyprus and Hungary.

The Iranian side of the missile deal took place from May to June 2001, when six Kh-55 missiles were sent by aircraft to Iran.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

President Viktor Yushchenko confirmed the incident in an interview with NBC news on Thursday. The missiles themselves are not a great threat. What is a threat is the ability of Iran to reverse-engineer the missiles and discover the ability to integrate the warhead with the missile, effectively doubling the range of its Shahad-3 rocket. The X-55s have a range of 2000 miles and could be used to target Israel and US bases in the Middle-East.

The investigation is ongoing and arrests have been made. Two of those implicated in the smuggling of the missiles died in car accidents in 2002 and 2004 respectively.

Related News Links:
www.washtimes.com
www.unian.net
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 2005/4/7 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is great. The rest of the world wants us to wait untill they lob one of these things at us to hit them. What a load of BS. The second we find out if they have it or not, we need to hit them, and hit them hard.

Or better yet..wait. Let em lob one. Then we can hit them like they never seen.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

Yeah, that will make it all better

You cant seriously be suggesting that the USA Nuke another country?........

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
they donnot want to hit the US first cause if they do, they will get hit back ten times as hard lol. maybe not hitting back in nuclear, but they will feel the pain.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hold on, why is it ok for the us to have them and not Iran or China? if it was up to me neither would have them, but to be realistic thats not going to happen, so we should level the playing field somehow

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The second we find out if they have it or not, we need to hit them, and hit them hard.

I don't mean to be naive, but just out of curiousity, if the states did NUKE the middle east, won't the radiation fallout slowly make its way around the globe through the jetstreams, etc. until that radiation is falling out on top of North America? So if we use nukes, won't we eventually just kill ourselves off as well?

With that kind of attitude there spliff, I hope you live on the west coast, so you can be first to get your just deserves...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So nice to have new friends...
the Ukraine will enlighten us to many previous crappy dealings and I assume that many more people will be arrested.

the joy is that now...
Iran cannot say they don't have nukes...

the best thing they could do is voluntarily give them up... it would make a grand gesture towards peace. Otherwise they will be harrased by the US until someone pisses off someone and WHOA... WW3...
for Iran to avoid a very embarrasing situation, they need to "find" these and turn them over...
otherwise...
they are aiding terrorists by supplying them with nukes...
and i think we can all agree as a species, that Iran having nukes while in this gungho period of the war on terror... would be a bad deal indeed.

TPL

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
the joy is that now...
Iran cannot say they don't have nukes...

Yes they still can, all they can't say now is that don't have nuclear CAPABLE missiles. Having nuclear capable missile does not mean they have nukes.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well, the US is getting what they have been asking for. Their threatening rhetoric against other nations have made it clear that the ONLY way to protect yourself from the US is by having nukes.

Talk about digging your own grave. Both sides seems to be digging as hard as they can. Lets just hope that the graves aren't big enough for all of us.

[edit on 7/4/05 by gekko]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Before we get carried away here, just a clarification: The missiles were not sold with nuclear warheads. They are nuclear capable, meaning that nuclear warheads could be integrated with the missiles if you had such warheads in the first place.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The missiles were sold without nuclear warheads. They were manufactured in 1987 and poorly maintained, if at all, according to a Ukrainian source familiar with the investigation.

Reverse engineering possible
Still, the U.S. intelligence officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the rockets could propel Iran's quest for nuclear weapons several steps forward.

Tehran could reverse engineer the missiles, and double the range of its most powerful rocket, the Shahab-3. The X-55s have a range of roughly 2,000 miles. If the Iranians were successful in duplicating the technology, they could target U.S. military bases and assets in the Middle East — and Iran’s archenemy Israel.

And while the missiles were sold without nuclear warheads, they provide Iran with a model for designing its own.

"It's not the physical item itself that is valuable to the Iranians," one official said. "It's the updated technology they were after."

The "integration of the warhead with the missile" is the key "learning exercise" that the Iranians could gain from the acquisition, the same official said.

There is also a case of 8 missiles unaccounted for. Six each were sold to China and Iran, making 12 out of 20.

www.washtimes.com
Six missiles were sent by aircraft to China in April 2000 with the help of the two Russians and a reserve officer of the Ukrainian intelligence service who headed the Ukrazviazakaz company in Kiev.

The Iranian side of the missile deal took place from May to June 2001, when six Kh-55 missiles were sent by aircraft to Iran.

Mr. Omelchenko did not say in the letter where the remaining eight missiles were sent.

Also of note:

Three persons involved in the missile deal died in automobile accidents, according to the letter.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
There are many european country's sealing arm's to the islamic empire and mongols. Even france the european traitor is one of these. Illumanti thug's must be behind this.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sorry... misread the title...
NON nuke equiped but capable missles...
got it... thanks.

I also noticed the deal about the car wrecks...
I wonder if these were the "drive off a cliff" type of wrecks or the "didn't stop on red" type?

or perhaps they really are not dead, just didn't want a declaration like this to chase them forever...

Hummm (gets out of box to think)

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We dont need to "nuke" them per say, just bomb the hell out of them. The nations which currently posses nuclear weapons are the only ones whoshould have them. No other country now needs nuclear capabilities. If they are worried about invasion from an enemy, then allign with a country that allready has them. No new nukes. We cant get rid of the current ones, but the missles that were smuggled are capable of being fitted with nuke war heads.

If this is true, its Iran thumbing its nose at us. I swear, I am so sick of these mid east nations pullin this garbage. We still owe them for the hostage situation in the late 70s. Its time to teach the middle east a serious lesson in life.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

We dont need to "nuke" them per say, just bomb the hell out of them. The nations which currently posses nuclear weapons are the only ones whoshould have them. No other country now needs nuclear capabilities.

Israel got the nukes before anyone else did in the Middle East, do you suggest they should give them up as well?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nope. Israel can keep em. Like I said, NO NEW NUKES. Israel is surrounded by countries that want to kill them. Theyve yet to use them. They retaliate, not instigate. Tell me, that if Iran had them, they wouldnt lob one at them? Why do we have to wait? These countries offer nothing to modern society. Its only a matter of time before that whole region is under control.

Its just that after years of the US doing little or nothing about them, we are finally fighting back, and now they are all screaming like little babies about it. To bad. You want to play, be ready to pay...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Why do we have to wait? These countries offer nothing to modern society. Its only a matter of time before that whole region is under control.

I have to say this sounds like something straight from Hitler's mouth. According to that gentleman, the subhumans of East European descent had nothing to offer to the modern society and should be done away with, or enslaved.

I may not like the regime in Tehran at all, but basing the question of nuclear weapons on the amount of contribution to the society is so assinine it's quite funny. We had one fine Jewish gentlement on this board who based the Israel's right to posess the nukes on the Israeli literacy rate (which I don't doubt is very high).

This amount to saying: I have the right to bear firearms in my small town, because I'm in Law School and am a citizen in good standing. My neighbor Mike, on the other hand, is a failed auto mechanic and was seen drunk two weeks ago at a local bar. Also, I go to church and Mike doesn't. He should therefore be denied same right. I keep my gun, but Mike should go to jail if he buys one. He's worthless. Hell, how about I just shoot him right away. Here, boom.

Ahh, why am I writing all this.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Aelita-- your pretty close there. I feel that any country who wants a "holy war" with the US is worthless. They dont offer anything to modern day society. Alls they want is war with us. On their terms, of course...oh well..

As far as the drunken failed car mechanic..Would you want him and his arsenal next door to YOU? I wouldnt. I dont believe that everyone should have guns. There should be a test or something.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

As far as the drunken failed car mechanic..Would you want him and his arsenal next door to YOU? I wouldnt.

I wouldn't either. But I won't have the right, and neither I should, to cross into his backyard, beat the hell out of him with my bat, and leave him there bleeding while I rummage through his house and take away his 22 caliber. It just doesn' work this way, and neither it should. It doesn't matter that we had a dispute of who's going to remove the tree growing on the boundary between the two properties.

If I start breaking the law and being a vigilante, the whole place will go to hell.

Ans by the way, you obviosuly agreed with Hitler (in my previous post).

[edit on 7-4-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Your right, it will go to hell. However, if your crack pot neighbor now decides that we wants some nukes to "protect" himself from you, and you see him starting to assemble one, wouldnt ya want to do something? Or should you wait untill you come home and find your family smoldering?

I say, burn his house and run himout of town.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hold the phone a minute. Yuschenko has recently visited the USA and enjoyed considerable support for his Presidency bid by the USA. Now all of a sudden he provides damning evidence to lend credence to US claims that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons.

Lets just look at the USA's last claim of a country having weapons of mass destruction. They invaded based on the evidence they had. Where were the weapons? Oh yeah, sorry, we got that wrong. They werent there after all *whoops*

Now we see the EXACT same propaganda being leveled at Iran and its all being presented to us with a nice red bow around it by Ukraines newly elected President who was supported by the USA.

Where are the alarm bells people?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join