It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about FSME

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Butting in...funny you should use that particular choice of words. Face it: you really DO want the Hoff!

Hoff Hoff Hoff Hoff!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
i think more forums need a house expert, Secret Societies really needs one too
so does the UFO section aswell

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm not so sure on multiples per forum, but there are many that could benefit from an FSME...:

I feel that multiple (max of 3 would be good no) FSME's would serve a community or forum better and also can provide differing opinions and views than other FSME's in the search of the truth.

Is there really any sort of good argument for not having more than one FSME?

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You dont need multi FSME, you need a forum Skeptic aswell, for example Nygdan who studies the NWO but believes its a myth would be excellent as the NWO house hold skeptic.

A forum Skeptic would prove much better

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
You dont need multi FSME, you need a forum Skeptic aswell, for example Nygdan who studies the NWO but believes its a myth would be excellent as the NWO house hold skeptic.

A forum Skeptic would prove much better

maybe for crackpot forums such as NWO but in scientific based forums such as peak oil, weapons, aircraft and sci tech multiple FSME's would be a good benefit. A skeptic can be a FSME as well, because they must be knowledgeable enough of that subject to be a skeptic for instance there are many prominent UFO skeptics who are well read in UFOlogy.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I like the idea of each forum having a 'believer' and 'skeptic'

The only problem I can see is in the Weapons forum (and similar) how would we have a skeptic?

Great idea though

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It is not the position of an FSME to push their opinion on people anyway, just to be knowledgeable about the topic and able to assist others in learning more.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
It is not the position of an FSME to push their opinion on people anyway, just to be knowledgeable about the topic and able to assist others in learning more.

But wouldn't the FSME provide supporting information and sources and the skeptic provide sources of information that oppose the information of the FSME

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I like the idea of each forum having a 'believer' and 'skeptic'

The only problem I can see is in the Weapons forum (and similar) how would we have a skeptic?

Great idea though

Ermmm......
Could have someone against weapons, sort of world peace believer

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Ermmm......
Could have someone against weapons, sort of world peace believer

Couldn't see that really working, what about someone who has knowledge of weapons but is skeptical about the 'black ops' and really wacky uber weapons

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Couldn't see that really working, what about someone who has knowledge of weapons but is skeptical about the 'black ops' and really wacky uber weapons

i cant either to be honest,
i dont know how it would work to be honest.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
lol for weaponry multiple FSME's would be good because there are members who are very knowledgeable in certain areas, some in arms, some in armour, some in US equipment and some in Soviet equipment.

A skeptic is just someone for a crackpot forums like UFO's or NWO. And that is fine, because there are skeptics that are very well read. You don't need skeptics in weaponry and aircraft forums.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The thing is that before you can add FSMEs you need people who are experts. Where exactly should we set the standard you know?

Should somebody have to have or be pursuing a degree in the relevant field, like Byrd with ancient civs, or have a career in a relevant industry, Like Intelgurl in Aircraft (I think)?
Or should just anybody who has done a lot of reading be declared an expert? At a certain point you have to start wondering if the "experts" will be experts on things which are true.
If we had a bomb technician here, they'd be a great candidate for Weapons FSME because we'd know for a fact that they have experience with things which are REAL.
On the other hand if I read all of the books there are about Atlantis and knew ALL of the stories, would that really make me a good FSME for lost civs? I don't think it would, because how would we know if the stuff I read is true unless I had hands on experience at least to some extent?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Good point on the scientific subjects, but on subjects like Atlantis, Crypto, UFOs, etc. I don't think a degree, etc. is necessary. As long as many of the senior members and membership at large approve (and in many cases this is easy to determine), I'd trust the membership to approve of credentials.

quote: Originally posted by Kano

But wouldn't the FSME provide supporting information and sources and the skeptic provide sources of information that oppose the information of the FSME

A skeptic on some forums would be pretty helpful. Some believers are both though. For example, while I fully believe we're being visited by aliens, I also think most of what's out there is a bunch of snake oil salesmanship. As Kano mentioned though, an FSME isn't there to push an agenda or viewpoint, they are there for the members to tap and recognize as an accepted (by the membership) expert in their particular field, and so serve as a pretty reliable source for where to find more, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join