It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camp Century, Tuto, and the other Greenland Bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
WOW!

I just spent about an hour reading first hand reports about Camp Century, Tuto, and the other Greenland bases. If you are interested in military bases, you have got to read some of this stuff. I feel like I’ve walked back in time 30 years.

ThuleForum

Once you get to the site, click on the box to the left of the serviceman's name. It will bring up his story about his life at these arctic camps. One talks of a portable nuke plant for power, digging miles of tunnels into the permanent ice cap, and the conditions they lived in.

This is extremely interesting stuff!

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hey NoPhobos.

Yes the history of Thule is full of interesting stuff indeed.

Heres a few other links on the subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yep, I was kinda surprised that nobody even commented on the testimonies from the link I provided. I thought the 35 and 40 year old stuff was amazing.

Go to the link! It is a good read!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Here are YouTube videos of this base:

Project Iceworm.

This was 1958?! It's like an atomic powered shopping mall.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Camp Century was shut down in 1967, and the site was abandoned as Project Iceworm wound down. Back then, military planners assumed the hazardous stuff buried at Camp Century—including diesel fuel, PCBs, and some radioactive coolant—would stay locked up in the Greenland ice sheet, essentially forever. But now Greenland is warming because of climate change. Dangerous contaminants threaten to re-emerge from the ice, potentially putting people in Greenland and maybe as far away as Arctic Canada (400 km offshore) at risk.

Politicians, meanwhile, have yet to sort out exactly what to do about the threat posed by climate change to military installations abroad, each one governed by what Colgan calls “ad hoc” arrangements. Colgan noted that the US Pentagon, at least, does seem to appreciate the dangers of climate change. Of the hundreds of US bases overseas, “it’s unclear how many of them are at the frontlines of climate change, like Greenland,” he said, adding that other sites, like low-lying Pacific islands, are also certain to be impacted.

motherboard.vice.com - A Top-Secret US Military Base Will Melt Out of the Greenland Ice Sheet.

I was reading this story (also at motherboard), It's the Middle of Winter and the Temperature at the North Pole Is Above Freezing, where it mentioned the "secret military base melting out of the ice". when I asked myself what base?

I have never heard of Camp Century or Project Iceworm. Of course ATS has a thread up...

Anyway, as the Arctic temperatures rise, there are unintended side effect (called, "knock on" in the first article), where what was thought to be buried forever under ice is slowly melting out. The clean up has not been addressed and the residents of Greenland are getting PO'd that their environment could be contaminated.
edit on 27-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: spelling

top topics

join