It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Taiwan Successfully Test-Fires Supersonic Anti-Ship Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Taiwan has successfully test-fired its locally produced, supersonic, anti-ship missile, the Hsiung Feng III ("Ferocious Wind III"). The addition of the missile is expected to strengthen the island's defences against an increasingly probable attack by Mainland China, which currently targets Taiwan with over 600 ballistic missiles. The successful development of the missile will add to the Taiwanese military's catalogue of weaponry, which is set to increase sharply since the the Taiwanese cabinet's approval of a 15-year, US$18 billion weapons deal with Washington.

www.spacedaily.com
Hsiung Feng III is believed to outperform China's Russia-made SS-N-22 Sunburn supersonic anti-ship missile, the report said.

[The China Times] said the missile, with a range of 300 kilometers (186 miles), was likely to be deployed along Taiwan's eastern coast or offshore islands.

The supersonic vehicle can be fitted with a variety of guidance systems and function as an anti-ship, land-attack or anti-radar missile.

The [Washington] arms package, pending final approval by parliament, includes eight conventional submarines, a modified version of the Patriot anti-missile system and a fleet of anti-submarine aircraft.

The massive budget proposal has stirred heated debate on the island as critics said the spending could further provoke China and heighten cross-strait tensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While certainly not likely to tip the balance in favour of Taiwan in the event of aggression from the mainland, the development of the Hsiung Feng III is symbolic of the island's determination to not take an entirely passive role in the cross-strait dispute.

Taiwan, despite possessing the capability, has consistently agreed to refrain from developing nuclear weapons in return for assurances of protection from Washington.

ChiCom military specialization focused on retaking the island is daunting to say the least.

Taiwan Needs to Develop Pre-emptive Missile Attack Ability: DPP - 2003
...in addition to the development of its own J-10 second-generation fighter planes, Beijing has also purchased advanced fighters such as the Su-27 and the Su-30 from Russia, and is expected to deploy 130 and 150 of these fighters, respectively, by 2005.

It will only take 17 minutes for Beijing fighters to take off from coastal areas of Fujian and reach Taiwan, giving the country only five minutes to 15 minutes to respond.

...Beijing is building its own battleships and has also purchased four modern destroyers fitted with supersonic anti-ship missiles, C-802 anti-ship missiles, as well as Kilo-class submarines which posed a great threat to Taiwan's second-generation battleships.

...Beijing has learned from the U.S.-Iraq wars and has since 1994 gradually established a rapid deployment force that is expected to reach 500,000 strong, which together with its naval and air forces, could pose a major threat to Taiwan

...Beijing will launch a seven-minute blitz attack on Taiwan to paralyse its command and control system and obtain air supremacy in 17 minutes. As for how many hours it would take to parachute in military forces and how many days it would take to exclude the intervention of the United States, this would hinge on the military might of Taiwan and the response time of the United States, according to the report.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
Can China Invade Taiwan?
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hype, tension and exaggeration, typical weapons of the DPP (governing party of Taiwan) to attract internal votes. The arms package is deadlocked in the parlianment and looks unlikely to pass.

The attack is not "increasingly probable" and the missile (Hsieung feng) is not defensive. It's like saying a Tomahawk missile is defensive.

Taiwan, despite possessing the capability, has consistently agreed to refrain from developing nuclear weapons in return for assurances of protection from Washington.

Actually, that is because if Taiwan develops nukes then Washington has no moral authority to order Iran not to do so.

The seven-minute blitz is stupid, even the U.S can't disable Taiwan C&C in seven minutes. I will say it again, the DPP does not know how to govern, it is poor on the economy and it's only way out is to put out stupid information like the 7-minute blitz.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
rapier--I agree with you, [7 minute blitz,]. But China will continue to pursue it's chest pounding for another three years and then it should be ready to deal with taiwan in such a speed as to keep the US out of the mix. If I were Taiwan I'd either start an expediated nuclear weapons program or get it's self ready to become the next China dominated Hong Kong.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
kazi, i simply do not believe that China will ever take Taiwan by force without provocation. The current status-quo arrangement is pretty good for China.

And the current Chinese leadership has not shown it's real colours, it cannot, since it's power is not consolidated.

eg.

Deng Xiaoping - favoured non-military threats
Jiang Zemin - favoured military threats.

The anti-secession law was not a product of Hu Jintao, it was a product of Jiang Zemin.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28The attack is not "increasingly probable" and the missile (Hsieung feng) is not defensive. It's like saying a Tomahawk missile is defensive.

tomohawks arent anti-ship missiles and anti-ship missiles are defensive...hence its 'anti' designation, their main use would be defending from sea invasion.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Here's the part that caught my interest the most:

Hsiung Feng III is believed to outperform China's Russia-made SS-N-22 Sunburn supersonic anti-ship missile, the report said.

Sunburn was supposed to be the ulitmate in anti-ship missiles, so it was alleged. With this development, the US will udoubtedly get the designs or a few from the Taiwan military, if they don't have them already.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

Originally posted by rapier28The attack is not "increasingly probable" and the missile (Hsieung feng) is not defensive. It's like saying a Tomahawk missile is defensive.

tomohawks arent anti-ship missiles and anti-ship missiles are defensive...hence its 'anti' designation, their main use would be defending from sea invasion.

I know i can't swear but ......

LMAO, ROFL!!!!

That's the biggest load of * i've ever seen. So by your logic, the anti-Christ defends us from a Christian invasion?

Seekerof
Sunburn was supposed to be the ulitmate in anti-ship missiles, so it was alleged. With this development, the US will udoubtedly get the designs or a few from the Taiwan military, if they don't have them already.

Sunburns were never the ultimate anti-ship missiles. The new Russian missiles are better, i forget the name.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm no weapons expert so I can't comment on which missile is "the best".

Here's some info on the Sunburn.

www.fas.org
Moskit is the aircraft variant of the naval missile 3M80 (SS-N-22 Sunburn, the designation 3M80 apparently referring to the Mach 3 speed of 1980 weapons) used on "Sovremennyy" destroyers (eight missiles on each) and on "Tarantul [Tarantula] III patrol ships (four missiles on each).

The 3M82 "Mosquito" missiles have the fastest flying speed among all antiship missiles in today's world. It reaches Mach 3 at a high altitude and its maximum low-altitude speed is M2.2, triple the speed of the American Harpoon.

When slower missiles, like the French Exocet are used, the maximum theoretical response time for the defending ship is 150-120 seconds. This provides time to launch countermeasures and employ jamming before deploying "hard" defense tactics such as launching missiles and using quick-firing artillery. But the 3M82 "Mosquito" missiles are extremely fast and give the defending side a maximum theoretical response time of merely 25-30 seconds, rendering it extremely difficult employ jamming and countermeasures, let alone fire missiles and quick-firing artillery.

I could find few details regarding the Hsiung Feng III, apart from it's range, listed as 300Km.

[edit on 2005/4/8 by wecomeinpeace]

new topics

top topics

join