It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Form of Big Brother ? You Decide - State requiring ignition locks for DWI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
SANTA FE, New Mexico (AP) -- Chris Romero hops into his blue-and-white Ford pickup, clicks the ignition on and then off again, and reaches for what looks like a black cell phone hanging from his dashboard.

"Ready for test. Please blow," reads the display screen on the device.

Romero blows for about four seconds into a short plastic tube that sticks out of the top, then hears a beep. He has passed the test -- the screen says, "Drive safely."

The twice-convicted drunken driver is, indeed, driving safely these days -- thanks to his determination and the help of an ignition interlock, which would prevent him from starting the truck if he had been drinking.

www.cnn.com...

With about 2,600 offenders a year ordered by courts to get interlocks, New Mexico has more of them currently installed per capita than any other state.

And that number could skyrocket. All convicted drunken drivers -- nearly 13,000 annually -- will be required to get interlocks under a new law Gov. Bill Richardson planned to sign on Wednesday.

While interlocks are employed to varying degrees in more than 40 states, New Mexico will be the first to require such broad use.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
How do you factor "Big Brother" into this? This is a fantastic use of technology and should be mandatory everywhere.

Not only should a device like this be mandatory, it should be built into all automobiles, wether you have a prior record or not. Period.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
How do you factor "Bog Brother" into this? This is a fantastic use of technology and should be mandatory everywhere.

Not only should a device like this be mandatory, it should be built into all automobiles, wether you have a prior record or not. Period.

I never said I didn't like it and don't agree with it.. .I too think its a good idea,

Big Brother gets involved in this, it's someone else telling you when you're "ok" to drive your car....

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It seems like a good idea and I am in favor for it, if it save lifes.

Now what will happen if they do that to every single driver in the state because it seems like a good idea.

That means that everybody will have to be bother by a device like that.

I know I am taking it to the extreme but you never know.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a friend of mine had that device installed by the court , he had to blow into it and test every 15 minutes of drive time. He said the biggest problem was he was blowing into the thing so often he got light headed alot. Personally i think they should have just taken his licence away given he previous 2 DUI's. Anyway once a month he had to drive to a sherrifs department two hours away and they would download the recorded breatherlizer results for the month. If he had 3 attempts at trying to drive while intoxicated he faced one year in prison, i dont see why they would give him any given his past.............

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't think this is a case of big brother, if it is implemented you will have alot of drunk people fighting with their cars

It's a good idea, but I wonder if the car won't start after 1 glass of wine or a beer? I mean how drunk would you have to be, for the car not to start?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
It's a good idea, but I wonder if the car won't start after 1 glass of wine or a beer? I mean how drunk would you have to be, for the car not to start?

How about some cough medicine, or certain types of mouth wash, they have given false test before.

Also people that are under low carb diets also can give false tests on their breath.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I only think it should be given to people who have had DUI or other alcohol related offenses. The ignition lock should stay on there until the offense clears off your record. It'll make people think twice about drinking and driving.

Besides, I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before people figured out a way to bypass it.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
good point marg
false results could really screw things up. Imagine being late for work after downing some Nyquil

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
good point marg
false results could really screw things up. Imagine being late for work after downing some Nyquil

That is a good one, been stuck and not able to turn you car on.

I guess is a price to pay for been a felon on drinking charges.

But I also have seen, on GNC this liquid stuff that you can drink that will clear you for a drug test.

I wonder if they will have a version for alcohol.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But I also have seen, on GNC this liquid stuff that you can drink that will clear you for a drug test.

I wonder if they will have a version for alcohol.

Is it called water? Drinking lots of water clears out just about everything, I think.

But yeah, if you have an alcohol related offense, paying the price of setting off the detector when you've drank nyquil or something similar should be the least of your worries. Besides, they do make alcohol free cough and cold syrups.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
My father had his license revoked in the state of Florida because of DUI's. He has been unable to drive for years now. I was unaware of this ignition lock on cars until now. I will have to discuss with my father and his lawyer the possibility of him going in front of the judge and seeing if he would be able to have his license reissued, after retaking the course of course, maybe even after having a permit for a year, if he were to get this lock on his car. I dont think he would have a problem with blowing into this thing to get his license back. I would personally feel very good if the car refused him to drive after a couple of drinks to teach him a lesson. Maybe it would help him quit drinking like I have.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I used to install the Interlock. They are a great idea and do decrease the rate of repeat offenders. Any way that you can think of to bypass it, will be detected. Well thought out device with serialized shrink wrap for the connections.

In many cases, the offender is agreeing to use the device for a set amount of time to get his license back early. The offender also has to pay for the installation and monthly monitoring fees.

Getting one installed a year after a DUI conviction is a little humility refresher for the offender.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by B. Goode
I used to install the Interlock.

Cool
I use to be an electronics repair tech for ignition interlock during it's primitive days. I remember the devices had 'good' security measures to detect program offenders like hum recognization. When you blow into the device's sample head you must hum at two different pitches to 'unlock', this security measure is considered 85% effective because we all hum at different pitches. Ultimately this is to prevent your sober friend, wife etc from having the ability to start your vehicle. If you attempt this and fail, the memory logs everything and will flag you as someone who's attempting to violate your agreement etc.

The only fault i could remember about these BAC devices are they're vulnerable to moisture or high humidity. The cold weather in Minnesota during the month of February will cause you some headaches trying to get your car started and already late 15 minutes for work. Smokers who take a drag and blow into the sample head will also cause issues. Chewing certain kinds of gum release minisecule amounts of BAC's that caused issues at the time, which was roughly 5 years ago when i last worked for this company

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Illinois already has this system in effect. It is for repeat offenders, where they can't start their car unless they pass a breathalyzer test. There's no cell connection or anything, it's a closed system. If they miss the mark and are drunk, all that happens is that their car doesn't start.

Invasion of privacy? Slightly, yes. However, these are people who have no problem getting completely tanked and plowing down the road trying to find home. It is established through precident that they do this; a single offense does not warrent this kind of reaction. However, when you have people getting trashed and driving on a nightly basis, getting pulled over occasionally, I say get them off the road. Which would be preferable to you; sweeping mandate that they can no longer drive, or that they have to, in private, prove to their car that they are capable of driving?

Most fatalities that happen on the highway are a result of one party drinking, if not both. Usually those who were drinking when they kill someone (or a whole family) are repeat DUI/DWI offenders. Get them off the road when they're drunk, but let them get to work, or even the bars when they're sober.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I thought this was SOP in all states..but I guess not. That shows how much I know about drunk driving. My friend had one of these devices in his automobile and I thought it was a great idea. He had a severe problem with alcohol. It beeped every 15-20 minutes while the car was moving so you must submit another breath sample. I can see how that could be distracting and lead to other problems though.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think all cars should have them. So innocent people will no longer be accused of DWI wrongly. DUI'S have become a giant industry here in my state of Florida.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by christconserv
I think all cars should have them. So innocent people will no longer be accused of DWI wrongly. DUI'S have become a giant industry here in my state of Florida.

Thats because half the people in Florida are drunks!!

I love the fact that the DUI offender has to pay for them as well. Finally a well thought out government program...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by christconserv

Thats because half the people in Florida are drunks!!

I love the fact that the DUI offender has to pay for them as well. Finally a well thought out government program...

That is the truth. Florida is a party state.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If it saves lives.....its a good thing. If these drunks would clean up their act, the state would not have to trample on their rights.

Its not big brother, its common sense. These repeat offenders need to be put on the bus bench until they get sober.

Maximu§

top topics

<<   2 >>

join