It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prairie dogs, and their complex language.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I was browsing my usual sites, and found an article about prairie dogs, and their language.

Most people listening to prairie dog chatter describes it as a series of yips, high-pitched barks or eeks. However, according to Dr. Slobodchikoff, Professor of Biology at Northern Arizona University, prairie dogs are capable of referential communication. They have:

-different alarm calls for different species of predators

-different escape behaviors for different species of predators

-transmission of semantic information, in that playbacks of alarm calls in the absence of predators lead to escape behaviors that are appropriate to the kind of predator who elicited the alarm calls.

-alarm calls containing descriptive information about the general size, color, and speed of travel of the predator.

Prairie dogs are able to use adjectives to differentiate objects, including human beings. For example, they can describe the color of clothes on a human and whether he is tall or short. They can also describe how fast a man is moving or whether he is carrying a gun. And there’s evidence that the animals can remember that specific person for up to two months.

I myself was pleasantly surprised to find this out.
Imagine if its found that prairie dogs are as intelligent as us, now that would be amazing.

[edit on 4/7/2005 by iori_komei]

[edit on 4/7/2005 by iori_komei]

pao

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
thats why they live underground, cuz people messed up the top, so they live underground and drive mini-porsches

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There are many animals with larger brains then us, and we have many many things in common with apes and other animals in the way our brain is set up. But why do we have this freedom of thought and they do not? Perhaps it is some divine spark... or a freak of evolution.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Saw a bull snake the oter day that was smarter than a p- dog. Burp!

Roper

new topics

top topics

join