It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americas Brutal Prisons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

Originally posted by shots

Are you allegeing you guard 50 plus using only two men??? Something smells rotten in Denmark.

I allege nothing. This is a fact. Our general population (GP) units have a ratio of 80:2. Our medium/minimum-security barracks has a ratio of 140:3 as of 0600 this morning. It's common knowledge that American prisons are understaffed yet bulging at the seams.

I can vouch for that...The prison my brother is a CO at is badly understaffed.I don't know what the ratio is but I do know that the two CO's that were attacked by the 26 inmates were the only two in that area.Two men armed with nothing but radios and "pepperspray" were suppose to hold off an attack on them by that many men??Men with absolutely nothing to lose.These men will never be released and will die in prison..do you honestly think they have any second thoughts about killing a CO?

Although I do have to say that spray is pretty mean stuff.My brother showed me what it'll do to a Styrofoam plate.Melted a hole right thru it.We were outside in the open air and just the smell had my eyes,nose,and mouth burning.I couldn't imagine getting a direct shot to the face.You can always tell when my brother had a use of force on an inmate when he got home from the way he smelled.

And what was said about the complaints by inmates being taken seriously is true.I don't know if I was suppose to see the papers or not but I've seen some of the reports my brother has brought home and know he's had to go to court to testify both for and against inmates several times in the time he's been there.There was one case were an inmate kept being denied showers by two CO's.My brother ended up working that area and after being told this by the inmate and after a little investigating my brother and another CO took him to shower and then had him(the inmate)fill out a complaint on the two CO's that kept denying him the showers.

I don't and won't do what you,gallopinghordes,Whitewave,and my brother do but you do have my respect for the job you do.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It's simple, don't be a criminal or a terrorist and you won't be crawling around the floor like these worthless maggots. I have no pity for them. They actually have it quite well compared to other foreign prisons. In Iran they would be hanging by the neck from a crane for stealing a loaf of bread.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Amnesty International, ....but can't credibly be considered a “pro-U.S.” organization.

You are right, they definately can't be.
They are absolutely ANTI-AMERICAN and biased.

We used to donate to Amnesty International. A lot.
No more. They have become just another anti-American organization
that turns a blind eye to real problems, all the while crying about America.

Hey .. it's PRISON ... not the country club. It's supposed to be rough and tough so that you won't want to do crimes and get stuck going there. AND I agree with the previous poster. These folks haven't got it bad compared to other countries - like Cuba or Russia. Send them there for an exchange program for a few months. They'll be glad to be back here.

[edit on 4/10/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That abuse of convicts occurs is undeniable. That it is rare in this day and age of instant communication is also true. Being Galloping Hordes brother I will admit to being somewhat, ok alot, biased. So sue me

I am also aquainted with numerous correction officers some of whom are...well losers isn't to strong a term...but for everyone of them, there are many more who are not. As my sister said, they are volunteers, infact the rate of volunteerism is probably higher than amongst the general public per capita.

I've lost count of the number of times I've sat and listened to my sister speak of her work. Both the rewards and the failures...the youngsters and not so youngsters who finally figured it out. Or the ones who didn't and paid a price that could have been avoided if someone had given a damn. Not just the convicts, but her colleagues as well. How she's avoided a total breakdown is a constant source of awe to me. Single mother, corrections officer, volunteer, and more...no she's not a saint, I know her far too well to ever think that...but a good person? She's all that and more.

My sister and all of you who do that sort of work without becoming jaded or totally untrusting have my undying respect.

To say that they are all corrupt, or to even imply that they are, is doing them a disservice that I can not and will not allow to stand. Some are good, some are bad, most are a mix of the two. Everyone can have a bad day. A bad day doesn't equate to corrupt or evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join