It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin B-17

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
ive heard alot of stuff about vitamin b-17 and how its cures cancer, or prevents it from even happening. there are groups in asia in a region called Hunza that used to eat so much of it, and they lived to be 100-140 years old. so does anything no anymore, and if the FDA says its posionius becuase it actually can cure cancer?

Mod Edit: to remove ALL-CAPS Title.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm skeptical about that. Sounds like another one of those too good to be true drugs. What proof do you have regarding people living to 100+ because of it?

-----------------------
Two perspectives I've found with a brief overview.

================
"Cyberspace vendors beware: sell illicit drugs online and be prepared to be shut down. And shut down he was, when drug supplier Jason Vale used the Internet to promote the sale of a false cancer cure.

President of Christian Brothers Contracting Corporation based in Queens, N.Y., Vale signed a consent decree of permanent injunction on Nov. 16, 2000, agreeing to stop making and selling amygdalin products, better known as laetrile, vitamin B-17, and apricot kernels. Despite warnings from the Food and Drug Administration, Vale, who operated several Web sites out of the basement of his home, promoted and dispensed these products with false promises that they could prevent, and even cure, cancer. The consent decree, which resulted from inspections of Vale's home office and several undercover purchases, ensures that the drug supplier keeps his commitment to FDA and never sells laetrile again."

www.quackwatch.org...

-----------
"Laetrile (B-17) is a natural chemotherapeutic agent found in over 1,200 plants, particularly in the seeds of common fruits such as apricots, peaches, plums, and apples.

It is a diglucocide with a cyanide radical that is highly"bio-accessible". This means that it penetrates through the cellular membrane reaching high intracellular concentrations easily. The cyanide radical is what preoccupies most scientists, but it has been proved that Laetrile (B-17) is completely nontoxic. Our own experience with hundreds of patients give us complete confidence that there is no danger. The normal cells in our organism contain an enzyme called Rodhenase which "neutralizes" the laetrile.

This enzyme does not allow the laetrile to release the cyanide. In this way, laetrile only serves as a glucose to healthy cells providing energy. Malignant cells do not contain this enzyme. In the absence of Rodhenase, the laetrile is activated liberating the cyanide radical inside the malignant cell causing its destruction. This is the way God creates things:
only cancerous cells are destroyed but normal ones are not affected."

www.1cure4cancer.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I haven't really heard hardly anything about vitamin B-17 but I did a search and found a bit. It looks interesting. From the first link I read it appears to me that the FDA considers the substance to be similiar or treated as an unapproved drug. Since the big drug companies can't make a big profit from a natural substance, they won't spend the money (several millions I believe I read) to have the FDA conduct studies. Therefore since the status of the substance is treated like a drug, it may be getting blocked by the FDA.
Here's the link where I read this info or subsequently found another link near the top of the article.
www.cancure.org...

I also found a very interesting statement within the following link.
curezone.com...
The statement goes that within the tribes of the Navajo Indians, the Hunzas the Abkhasians and many others, there has never been any cases of cancer ever reported. These tribes have I believe it says as a main course of food the seed of the peach. The article also states that scientists and doctors are studying this phenomena. (See link above for more info.) This would be very interesting news if true and not the case where these people had cases of cancer but just never reported it. This could be the case where our lack of knowledge is letting us suffer when we don't need to similiar to when people didn't know that vitamin C was important to prevent certain diseases long ago.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hunza people

theres a couple websites, including groups of people and how much b-17 they have a day( some 8,000 mg)

How b-17 works

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Quackwatch is totally discredited.
The main proponent of the site does not have his credentials in order, as he has been sued.

"THE LAST DAYS OF THE QUACKBUSTERS"...

CRACKPOTS?

Yes. When the self-named "Quackbusters" stumbled around to find a derisive name to call their victims, they picked the word "Quack," without ever bothering to discover it's origins. Its original meaning, from Europe, comes from the term "quacksalver" which was used to describe Dentists who were dumb enough to use mercury (a poison) as fillings for teeth. Look at propagandist, and "Quackbuster" king-pin, Stephen Barrett's website (quackwatch.com), and you'll find that HE IS IN FAVOR of mercury (amalgam) tooth fillings.

Barrett, his cronies, and minions, are not known to do intelligent research.

Comment: Among many things that modern propaganda, and "go to sleep journalism," do is continue poisoning people with mercury. It is going to take thousands of dollars to get rid of current dental fillings and many dollars of chelation treatment to jettison mercury. Think about it, people such as "quackbuster," do not care that modern vaccines are causing autism, and Fox news cares even less that we are poisoning our troops with mercury and contaminated vaccines as well as depleted uranium.

Quackbusters are simply crackpots. Vitamin B-17 is totally harmless, and it is outlawed because it has some amount of cyanide, all of which focuses on cancer cells only. Since the cancer industry is worth hundreds of billions, you get invective from people such as "quackbusters." Expect more propaganda from your government, which is totally a slave to big pharma, so imagine how much worse off you are. Big pharma is so cheap they hire total frauds like quackwatch to do their dirty work.

[edit on 7-4-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
hmm i never heard of vit b17 before... i only studied some vit but never seen b17 before... from what i know...it is best to take all vitamins in moderation...example recently news report indicated that excess vit E can cause heart disease....

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hrtw
hmm i never heard of vit b17 before... i only studied some vit but never seen b17 before... from what i know...it is best to take all vitamins in moderation...example recently news report indicated that excess vit E can cause heart disease....

That is another flawed study, something that big pharma releases to the public with an authoritative air periodically.

False and Misleading he Media's Unfounded Attack on Vitamin E

Why Test Vitamin E in Sick People?

You may be wondering why millions of dollars were spent evaluating the effects of alpha tocopherol on people in serious disease states. Since vitamin E is not patentable, a scientific basis must exist for a grant to be awarded to fund these kinds of studies.

The reasons why so many dollars have been spent to see whether individual supplements could save the lives of sick people are:

* Laboratory studies conducted in cell cultures and animals indicate that the antioxidant properties of certain nutrients might be effective in advanced disease states;
* Numerous studies on relatively healthy people show that consuming nutrients like vitamin E is associated with a reduction in the development of degenerative diseases.

Based on studies showing beneficial effects in people who supplement with vitamin E, doctors wanted to know whether this same effect occurs in people who have already entered a state of deteriorating health.

The regrettable fact is that once serious disease manifests, it takes a lot more than an alpha tocopherol supplement to give people a chance of regaining their health. Alpha tocopherol has been shown to help prevent a number of common disorders, but it is not a miracle cure, especially when taken by itself or in the form of low-potency multi-vitamins.29,30

What has been happening over the past several years is that an increasing number of studies shows that single nutrients do not provide a significant beneficial impact on existing disease. A few exceptions are studies showing that high-dose coenzyme Q10 dramatically slows the deterioration and even induces some functional improvement in those afflicted with Parkinson’s disease.31,32

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Actually, if you look at the history of bread you will find that bread used to have vitamin E in it, and a couple of other nutritional stuff. the makers of bread took this stuff out to make the bread last longer, if you notice, bread lasts for a while. bread used to last for about 2 to 3 days. after they invented white bread people started having heart problems and circulation problems. so I dont think Vit E will cause heart problems. I think that the FDA is becoming more and more eager to state that Vitamins are no longer a necessity and are actually the cause to all our problems. I mean they already started with vitamin B17. they say that is contains cyanide and can kill you. they dont tell you that vit B12 contains even more cyanide then b17. but cyanide has to be by itself. if its bonded to b17 or b12 it becomes non-toxic until broken off. the same thing with sodium and chlorine. they both are poisonous until you put them togehter.

thats all I have to say about that.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

here is a thread that explains how B17 works and how it kills cancer cells.

EC

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The statement goes that within the tribes of the Navajo Indians, the Hunzas the Abkhasians and many others, there has never been any cases of cancer ever reported.

Well, that's certainly one of the more interesting (if completely fallacious) statements so far!

About B-17.

Here's the problem:

The believers accuse Big Pharma, etc etc, of hiding cures; masking results; faking studies and the like.

The detractors accuse the believers of conducting shoddy research; of preying on the sick and dying; of blatant fraudhood.

So who to believe?

Let's consider that B-17 is not a newly discovered substance; in fact since the 1970s it's been studied quite extensively.

No one has found it to be more efficacious than radiation or chemo from the articles that I've read - however are we to believe that every study since 1971 has been part of a growing conspiracy to keep B-17 off of the shelves?

If that's the case, are we then to believe that this conspiracy reaches every pharmaceutical community around the world? "Big Pharma" isn't one company, or one nation; indeed many countries have regulations in place which actually cap the public cost of certain drugs, thereby controlling (to an extent) the profit margin available. There are also hundreds of pharmaceutical companies, spread around the world - a conspiracy of this nature would have to involve most, if not all, at some level.

Is that likely? I really don't think so.

What I think is more likely is that if B-17 is effective at all (which is dubious at best), then it would probably be a great treatment to use in conjunction with other therapies; unless someone can show me cases of proven B-17 cures? Sorry, I have tried searching, but I keep hitting anecdotal evidence and nothing concrete.

List of study sources:

Gostomski FE: The effects of amygdalin on the Krebs-2 carcinoma and adult and fetal DUB(ICR) mice. [Abstract] Diss Abstr Int B 39 (5): 2075-B, 1978.

Wodinsky I, Swiniarski JK: Antitumor activity of amygdalin MF (NSC-15780) as a single agent and with beta-glucosidase (NSC-128056) on a spectrum of transplantable rodent tumors. Cancer Chemother Rep 59 (5): 939-50, 1975 Sep-Oct. [PUBMED Abstract]

Laster WR Jr, Schabel FM Jr: Experimental studies of the antitumor activity of amygdalin MF (NSC-15780) alone and in combination with beta-glucosidase (NSC-128056). Cancer Chemother Rep 59 (5): 951-65, 1975 Sep-Oct. [PUBMED Abstract]

Stock CC, Tarnowski GS, Schmid FA, et al.: Antitumor tests of amygdalin in transplantable animal tumor systems. J Surg Oncol 10 (2): 81-8, 1978. [PUBMED Abstract]

Newton GW, Schmidt ES, Lewis JP, et al.: Amygdalin toxicity studies in rats predict chronic cyanide poisoning in humans. West J Med 134 (2): 97-103, 1981. [PUBMED Abstract]

Hill GJ 2nd, Shine TE, Hill HZ, et al.: Failure of amygdalin to arrest B16 melanoma and BW5147 AKR leukemia. Cancer Res 36 (6): 2102-7, 1976. [PUBMED Abstract]

Lea MA, Koch MR: Effects of cyanate, thiocyanate, and amygdalin on metabolite uptake in normal and neoplastic tissues of the rat. J Natl Cancer Inst 63 (5): 1279-83, 1979. [PUBMED Abstract]

Carter JH, McLafferty MA, Goldman P: Role of the gastrointestinal microflora in amygdalin (laetrile)-induced cyanide toxicity. Biochem Pharmacol 29 (3): 301-4, 1980. [PUBMED Abstract]

Khandekar JD, Edelman H: Studies of amygdalin (laetrile) toxicity in rodents. JAMA 242 (2): 169-71, 1979. [PUBMED Abstract]

Ovejera AA, Houchens DP, Barker AD, et al.: Inactivity of DL-amygdalin against human breast and colon tumor xenografts in athymic (nude) mice. Cancer Treat Rep 62 (4): 576-8, 1978. [PUBMED Abstract]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What I think is more likely is that if B-17 is effective at all (which is dubious at best), then it would probably be a great treatment to use in conjunction with other therapies; unless someone can show me cases of proven B-17 cures?

well it would be helpful if it was used, but if the source was known to everyone, (since the source is natural [fruit seeds]) the cancer inductries would lose money, because if less people get cancer, less people are going to need treatements. visit the link I posted a few posts up. and see how B17 works.

EC

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
More cancer = more deaths.

More deaths = less people to buy drugs in the longterm. Defeats the object of Big Pharma, surely?

Sorry, but we can go back and forth with the same logic, you know?

I've read how B-17 is meant to work; I'm just yet to see anything that actually confirms either the conspiracy theory, or is able to prove that the substance can actually cure by itself.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

More cancer = more deaths.

More deaths = less people to buy drugs in the longterm. Defeats the object of Big Pharma, surely?

yes the first part is true. more cancer more deaths. thats exactly what the world wants. people with a lot of power and a lot of money want to limit the world population.

maybe I can better explain it this way.

the cure is natural. you can pick it from a tree everyday and eat it for free.
the treatments they have now, are not 100% and are not guaranteed to always work on everyone. half of the time it doesnt work. but its expensive. so they charge people a buttload of money for something that might not even work. making money and keeping humanity down and at the same time pretending like they are trying to help.

now lets just say the started making laetrile in caplet form. now the treatments are no longer needed and people can just take pills to prevent cancer. ok. money it still being made, lets just say the same amount it being made.

now what happens if people find out that the cure come form fruit seeds? what now? is the cancer industry going to own every fruit plant on the planet? are they going to start charging a fortune for fruit? no they arent, people will start growing fruit trees in their own backyard and eating fruits and seeds to prevent and kill cancer.

and after a whlie, all that money that the cancer industry has is now gone. they cant get anymore. they are out of business and no longer needed. thats why the cancer industry keeps the cure hidden. and all those tests you have looked up are probably just to make it look like they tried to make it work.

EC

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
My question is really...

Where is it shown that this cures every cancer?

That might be the first place to start.

Then...

Cancer treatments are not expensive to everyone; indeed, the US is really one of the few places where the patient bears the burden of cost. In the UK, you'll get exactly the same treatment, without paying a penny (in most cases).

With that in mind, would it not make more sense - from a purely pragmatic point - to find the cheapest treatment possible, if you (as the hospital or provider of the treatment) are actually absorbing most of the costs yourself?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
every type of cancer cell has a protein coating called beta-glucosidase. every type of cancer cell. that how it works.

EC

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolution Cruncher
every type of cancer cell has a protein coating called beta-glucosidase. every type of cancer cell. that how it works.
EC

"Claims for amygdalin's activity rely on the theory, now proven false, that cancer cells contain elevated amounts of beta-glucosidase and reduced levels of rhodanese compared to normal cells...."

(This from several other threads here recently, source material from SK)

Again though, nothing is showing the outright cure of all cancers. Theories are great starting points...but we need more than theories.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here's a site w/ a list of some foods containing this vitamin, the U.S. 'bans' anything that'll lead to a healthy populace -- it could be wonderful to have a FDA that isn't corrupt:

www.vitaminb17.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I know this is a little bit outdated but i thought id put my 2 cents in anyway.
I have done abit of research ion this subject and even tho i cannot say for 100% that it prevents and cures cancer (as i do not know anybody that has used the treatment tho there are people in fuorms that claim that it has worked) i would say that it is more probably than not that it works.

And even if for some reason that B17 does not prevent cancer, there is no harm done in taking it as it just may work.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You guys are retarded. You babble and babble about crap you don't know....
First of all, you are more likely to get mercury poisoning from a salmon than from the amalgam.

Second of all, amygdalin is a quack-drug. Research has shown over and over again that it does more harm than good. But there will always be scientologists, idiots, and quacks out there.

By the way, I just joined the Church of the Spaghetti Monster, cuz Im retarded, and believe that megadoses of vitamin C cure Anal Cancer.

top topics

join