It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How was the moon formed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
How do you think the moon became Earth's moon?

Please vote and explain.

Tassadar

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by Tassadar]

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
4 and 5 are probably the most feasible, i really cant be bothered looking up the 100,000 word scienfific explanations to find out.

Pretty sure it was cause by offshoots of the earth during formation which settled into an orbit because of the gravimetric pull.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The latest theory I've heard was actually from the Discovery Channel, narrrated by Patrick Stewart for all you Trekkies out there. I think this is the latest accpeted scientific theory but I'm not sure. here goes.

The Earth was in collision with a smaller planet some 4 million or billion(I can't recall) years ago. The collision wasn't head-on but a glancing blow which ripped Earth down into its molten core and spewed debris out into space which became trapped in Earth's gravity and formed a ring of dust much like the Saturn which slowly formed into a sphere (reason was given but I don't recall it enough to explain). Evidence was taken from moon rocks returned to Earth by astronauts which matched with the composition of the earth's mantle.

Other theories about the moon and its roll in keeping our rotation somewhat balanced as well as discussion on its eventual escape form earth's gravity and the ramifications of that.(not good ones either) I've tried to find a link to the special and will look again when I get time.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
The latest theory I've heard was actually from the Discovery Channel, narrrated by Patrick Stewart for all you Trekkies out there. I think this is the latest accpeted scientific theory but I'm not sure. here goes.

The Earth was in collision with a smaller planet some 4 million or billion(I can't recall) years ago. The collision wasn't head-on but a glancing blow which ripped Earth down into its molten core and spewed debris out into space which became trapped in Earth's gravity and formed a ring of dust much like the Saturn which slowly formed into a sphere (reason was given but I don't recall it enough to explain). Evidence was taken from moon rocks returned to Earth by astronauts which matched with the composition of the earth's mantle.

Other theories about the moon and its roll in keeping our rotation somewhat balanced as well as discussion on its eventual escape form earth's gravity and the ramifications of that.(not good ones either) I've tried to find a link to the special and will look again when I get time.

I saw this show as well, pretty good viewing. I'm not sure if I agree that there was a smaller Earth-type planet that crashed into Earth. I tend to think it was a large asteroid or a dead iron planet, maybe even a gigantic comet.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
*15,15*
bump

After hearing several recent ideas, I believe this topic should be readdressed...
My persoanl belief is number 5, The moon was most of the landmass in the Pacific Ocean.
Anyone else?
- Tass *40*

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   
IMO, its a giant hollow "duck blind" for extraterrestrials. Either taken from another planet or completely artificially constructed.

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Astrocreep hit the nail on the head.

Geological analysis of the moon indicate very similar geology to the earth, although a predominance of "lighter" elements, mainly silicon. Most likely, a glancing impact during early formation of the planet ripped off a sizeable chunk of the planet which reformed into the moon.

There is speculation that the impactor in this scenario may be the former planet that now forms the asteroid belt, although that is just conjecture in some circles.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think the newest theory makes sense. It says that there was an impact with a large asteroid, comet, or planetoid early in the earth's formation. The result was that a large chunk of molten earth broke off, consumed all other small moons that were there, and became earth's moon.

The moon we have today is too large to be a captured asteroid. It would have either impacted, or bounced off, but not have been captured in an orbital way. It is also too perfectly round to be a non planetary body. If it were a captured object, it would be more chuncky like mars' moons. In addition to all this, it was formed from molten metals, not icy gasses like a comet.

It dates to about the same age as earth rock, and is composed of the same basic elements. there is no other possible explaination, it has to have come from earth.

top topics

join