It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just saw a UAV !!!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My sons and I were just out flying a kite in the Texas wind. JUST NOW we saw a tiny speck, white, but with long wings and a short fuselage. We had been out for 30 min or so, and I only noticed it when the kite drew my line of sight near it.

The wind here is dying down at sunset. But still gusting to 30 mph or so, and probably twice that and steady aloft.

If the fuselage was 6 - 8 ft long, then the thing must have been about 2000 ft away. It was due south of us, and about 40 degrees above the horizon.

There was a helicopter that flew directly over us twice. A civilian model, not a cobra or apache or anything. I would have taken for the local air rescue service, but the logo was missing and it flew over us twice, without landing to pick up an injury. No sirens in the area on the ground, so no local emergency.

Anyway, the spec hovered perfectly still with respect to altitude and location in the sky, but pitching slightly slightly because it was caught in the light from the sun. If we hadn't been in the shade I am sure it would have been impossible to see it. It was stealthy in that every time I looked down to talk with the boys, I had to scan the sky to find it again. I got out my cellphone and called a friend to describe it; i looked up and it was gone. It happened ~7:30-7:35 pm local time.

It must have been very light, since it could hover, and yet was obviously a plane. the front of the fuselage got bigger toward the nose, like it had a bulb at the front of the fuselage. kids called it a Q-tip with wings. It was totally unobtrusive. The older one said he thought it was hiding from us, and the chopper was trying to distract us.

Just thought you'd like to know.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It was hovering? If it was hovering I am not sure what kind of Uav you would have seen.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hovering huh..

Well it could have been a Vigilante Unmanned Air Vehicle Called A "Rotorcraft" made by ATI (Advanced Technologies Incorporated)
this would explain it hovering and possibly the helicopter that flew by you with no markings.

"ATI has developed the Vigilante Unmanned Helicopter based on a version of our lightweight helicopter. The Vigilante can carry a 300-pound payload for 3 hours, takeoff and land with the push of a button, navigate by pointing and clicking on a digital map, fly by vector commands from a joystick, and auto-rotate to the ground with a 4:1 glide ratio. Customized fuselages accommodate payloads ranging from gimbaled FLIR turrets, radars, to communications relay antennas. A turbocharged 4-stroke engine provides consistent power under hot and high conditions. Customers include NASA, US Navy, and US Air Force."

Their Site

Or.. It could have been a predator but i think you would know a predator when you saw one...

"The Air Force today announced it's placing a squadron of Predator unmanned aerial vehicles with the Texas Air National Guard. Putting the drones in Texas is an effort by the Air Force to modernize active duty forces, while winnowing the size of the military.

Where the squadron can be located has not been announced, but the Texas Air National Guard has units in San Antonio, Fort Worth and Houston.

The Air Force is testing whether to move some activities now performed by active duty personnel to the Guard and Reserve."

[edit on 6-4-2005 by ShadowMan]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
A good reason to carry a camera no!?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It was probably the Pedator. Its unmanned, looks Q-tip-ish, and is unmanned, but cant hover, however at a couple thousand feet up, looks can be decieving. it cruises at 84 mph, but can go slower.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Agree on the predator, because it's probably the most "common" (as far as UAV's are common, lol) unmanned aircraft vehicle now... I'm not very aware of what kind of UAV's are currently being tested in the USA, but read somewhere that rotorcraft drones like Dragon Warrior were currently being tested.

Dragon warrior

www.globalsecurity.org...

Dragonfly

www.globalsecurity.org...

These have hovering capability. The USCG were interested in the dragonfly for their UAV program, but think it has lost the competition against the Global Hawk. Anyone got something like this?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
that predator machine fits the description pretty well, but seeing as you mentioned kites and hovering... maybe its some simple mis-identification?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
God damn you Murcielago, you beat me to it lol...yeah definitly the RQ-1 Predator, possibly testing the new Predator-B model? MQ-9?

The MQ-9 is a very sexy incarnation of the Predator, take a look:

If you ever seen Discovery's Myth Busters, they drew attention of a Predator UAV just be testing a car with rocket engines...so, they often inspect what's going on if they suspect a threat...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ground Zero,

I think the pic you just posted is it. Your pic looks like a type of very mild camoflage, which is sort of what I remember the next day. I was thinking that although white, it looked kinda "stealthy."

I think winds about 1000 ft were above 50 mph yesterday, which would give any small aircraft "near hover status."

I have heard small-plane pilots here joke about wanting to try and fly into a barn to land in order to "get out of the wind."

My older boy ran up to a gatepost, and used it to sight along, to see if the object was truly hovering. He says yes, but I think he was so excited and bopping that his witness it not totally reliable.

He thinks it is the pic you posted btw.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
heh...glad I could help!

other candidates could be Global Hawk btw, look it up
that might have been it too, however it's jet-proppeled so it probably didn't have the minimum speed of the Predator...but I dunno though.

top topics

join