It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Just Exposed Opus Dai:Catholic S.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Quote: "Many members are also *Required to Perform Mortification of the Flesh*."

SICK, TWISTED FREAKS!!!!

Ah yes it's always Jesus' Suffering or Fairy Tales of a Virgin Birth & Resurrection - NEVER his Teachings or Message! Isn't it obvious by now that this is nothing but Corruption & Caricature of TRUE Christianity?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The same arguments are being raised agaisnt the Opus Dei here are often raised against Freemasons, Templars and the mysterious Illuminati (no matter if it exists or not). Seems like there are two sides in the New World Order conspiracy theory...

But the question I think we should ask are: is the Opus Dei controlling the mainstream media? Would'nt be Why was Dan Brown's book so much a commercial success, considering much better books have been written on the same subjects in the past? Are we pointing the fingers at the right directions?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Quote: "Many members are also *Required to Perform
Mortification of the Flesh*."

SICK, TWISTED FREAKS!!!!

Ah yes it's always Jesus' Suffering or Fairy Tales of a Virgin Birth & Resurrection - NEVER his Teachings or Message! Isn't it obvious by now that this is nothing but Corruption & Caricature of TRUE Christianity?

You people are so silly. Obviously you didn't bother to read my post on
page one of this thread. My best friends are Opus Dei and I know many
Opus Dei people. NONE of them perform 'mortifications of the flesh'. That
is absurd. Their way of life is one of daily prayer, daily scripture reading
and if possible daily Mass. That's it. Oh .. and my best friend and her
family, all of them Opus Dei, were POOR and escaped from Bolivia when
the communists came and they came here with NOTHING. So much for
trying to take over the world.

I think you guys just WANT to hate and not understand Catholics.
What else could be your excuse?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

You people are so silly. .... My best friends are Opus Dei and I know many
Opus Dei people. NONE of them perform 'mortifications of the flesh'. ....

The Numeraries are the only ones that are required to perform self mortification. All 'Numeraries' are celibate males and consist of less than the twenty per cent of the membership of Opus Dei. Whilst there are other divisions most members are 'Supernumeraries'. These are the rank and file of the orders membership. 'Supernumeraries' are not celibate and, as far as I know, do nor mortify themselves. In fact Supernumeraries would probably pass as ordinary Catholics (which they in fact are). I suspect that you know a lot of the Supernumeraries and vary few 'Numeraries' - is this so?

...Their way of life is one of daily prayer, daily scripture reading
and if possible daily Mass. That's it. ...

I don't doubt it, the overwhelming majority of members are probably uninvolved in and quite unaware of any alleged corruption.

... Oh and my best friend and her family, all of them Opus Dei... they came here with NOTHING. So much for trying to take over the world...

Not all of the orders teachings and publications are in the public domaine. Some of the teachings are restricted to paticular divisions so what is reveald to 'Numeraries' nede not be given to 'Associates' nor to 'Supernumeraries'. We just dont know what the inner circles get up to.

Also most of the hard core members, (the Numeraries) are usualy very well educated and have profesonal jobs so it is posable that some degree of cherry picking is going on here, even if this is not reflected in the other divisions of the order.

[ I think you guys just WANT to hate and not understand Catholics.
What else could be your excuse?

I cannot speak for other members of the group but I do not hate Catholics but I am suspicious of Opus Dei.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Quote: "What else could be your excuse?"

Hmm... Lets Try the Inquisition (Murder), Suppression (of Science, Reason & other Religious Beliefs beside their own) & Fascism & Imperialism Disguised as Religion!

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Information concerning the corporal mortification practices of Opus Dei may be found at the Opus Dei Awareness Network . While admittedly an anti-Opus site, ODAN seems to rely on first-person accounts and published information of reliable quality.

Their Testimonies page offers ample accounts of the sort of thing most Catholics would consider odd.

The Religion Report , a transcript of an Australian radio program (programme?) on Opus Dei makes an informative first read.

Mortification of the flesh was a common practice in many Catholic Religious Orders once upon a time -- pre-Vatican II, which is where Opus seems to want to take the Roman Catholic Church. Back to Latin Masses, etc. It makes sense that they would want their best and closest to practice these "traditional" methods of piety.

Please, don't mistake my belief that Opus Dei represents a bad influence in the Church for anti-Catholic feeling. I admire many Catholics -- but suspect Opus Dei is driving its own agenda and is perfectly willing to wait out or circumvent any ecclessiastical authority that disagrees with it.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They just want to hate us FlyersFan and theyll make up whatever they want to, and believe it just so they can hate us.
sad really.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes we just "made up" the Fact that a LOT of Roman Catholic Priests were Guilty of RAPING & Molesting little Boys over the Years! That the Vatican had to have a meeting about it - in which they could not make up their Mind about what to do about it. Finally they decided that maybe it wasn't such a big deal after all & that they could just simply move these Sicko Priests around & no one would notice! What Great "Moral Superiority"!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
They just want to hate us FlyersFan and theyll make up whatever they want to, and believe it just so they can hate us.

Please don't try that. Just as you may dislike having baseless and fantastic accusations leveled against your faith, I dislike having people claim that things that I write are made up and motivated by hate.

I have cited specific sources for my conclusions regarding Opus Dei and its practices. I even mentioned the bias of one of my sources, but felt it was important because it is one of the few places that the accounts of former members are available. I have done extensive reading regarding Opus Dei, including the biography of one of the women who joined early in Opus's formation.

My research has convinced me that Opus Dei's founder was pro-Fascist, had totalitarian tendencies, was a misogynist, and an ego-maniac. I think Opus Dei itself has contracted its founder's flaws.

I also think a great many conservative Catholics are attracted to Opus's rockbed certainty in these days of relativism and uncertainty. These are good people who desire to live a meaningful and holy life and for them, perhaps, Opus might even serve a need. But that doesn't change the fact that Opus Dei, at its core, is not an admirable organization and, overall, detracts from the religious life of the Church.

Now, does that seem like hate-speech to you?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
April 6, 2005 CBS news

Anyone who is familiar with Catholic traditions of penance would not at all be surprised by members of Opus Dei using what are known as the cilice and the discipline, a spiked chain and a small whip," says Father John Wauck of Opus Dei...

What word except "hidden" could describe the ornate chapel, built like a vault deep inside.

Asked if the building is the holiest place to Opus Dei, says Opus Dei member Peter Bancroft says: "Oh, no, but this place is certainly special for us because here we have St. Jose Maria under the alter."
www.cbsnews.com...

April 17, The Toronto star. this is a membership site, so I will give the gist of some points. Peter Bancroft an Opus Dei member admitted to whipping his back and backside, and wears the celice. JPII advanced this institution to a personal prelature, answering only to the Pope. They have many elite members from all walks of life, including Cardinals Heranz of Spain; Cipriani of Peru, 41 bishops, and the ear of Ratzinger; Navarro-Valls; Scola; Sodano and Tettamanzi.

Most disturbing though is that their numerary members live in Opus Dei housing and fork over their salaries less whatever they need for living and retirement.

The article can be accessed at www.thestar.com.../Render&inifile=futuretense.ini&c=Page&cid=968332188492&pubid=968163964505 as written by Sandro Contenta, entitled: Could Opus Dei lose its clout with new pope?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Opus dei is an orginization with very conservative or reactionary Roman Catholic opinions. This is not a problem if you agree with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join