It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Computers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
1) Computers will still be using digitally based processors in 10 years.

Agree

2) We will have 10+ GHz processors in 10 years.

Agree

3) Computers, in 10 years, will be small enough to put in the pocket (minus the moniter), yet powerful enough to handle a very graphics-intensive game.
Agree

4) In 10 years, computers will no longer have less than 2 GB of RAM.
Disagree, many computers will, but I suspect there will still be 512 and 1 gig systems around and active.

5) 10 years from now computers will use brain cells to compute data at unheard of speeds.

Thats still a ways off, I think at least 40 years. And it brings up a lot of moral issues.

6) In 10 years, computer keyboards will be projected onto the typing surface by a small projector, and can detect keystrokes.
Already is out there.

7) Computer moniters will have "Billions" and "Trillions" of colors as an option, in 10 years.
I agree, but dont know why they would want so many colors.

8) 10 years from now, computer moniters will have resolutions near 5120 x 3840.
I agree, if people will want it, they will be able to have it

Thanks everybody!

You're welcome

I forgot to mention that you need to state your age with your answers

I am 34

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Somewhat agree. Reason see answer for # 5

3) Computers, in 10 years, will be small enough to put in the pocket (minus the moniter), yet powerful enough to handle a very graphics-intensive game.
There is already a system called CUBE that is presently running full version of Windows XP (Home). This is slated to hit the markets for the Christmas season. Size, just over the size of a cigarette pack. Weight, 1,1 LBs.

5) 10 years from now computers will use brain cells to compute data at unheard of speeds.
This has been in the works since 1999. See story below
Computing Device To Serve As Basis For Biological Computer

6) In 10 years, computer keyboards will be projected onto the typing surface by a small projector, and can detect keystrokes.
Agreed as was posted earlier by iceofspades This is already available.

7) Computer moniters will have "Billions" and "Trillions" of colors as an option, in 10 years.
Not needed nor necesssary in other than scientific research. If developed

Agree, we are already nearing this with the work being done in Japan

As to some of what others have contributed, 10 years ago, many of us would have never expected to need anything bigger than a 40 meg hard drive. Many thought that it was a waste of money. As we all know today, a 40 meg hard drive (not to mention RAM!) would not run anything in today's society.
Really, think about waht we had 10 years ago. would many of the things that we take for granted in regards to the computer world would not have been believed. 15 / 20 years ago the internet was just a pipe dream.

Age 43 in the tech sector

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Agree

Disagree, In ten years it could be more than that.

Disagree, computers will probably be the size of an xbox console.

Agree

Disagree

Agree

Agree

Agree

apc

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   

As to some of what others have contributed, 10 years ago, many of us would have never expected to need anything bigger than a 40 meg hard drive.

Hehehe add 10 more years to that
In '95 I had my 256meg drive filled and was drooling over the cavernous 1giggers. Gotta hate all this 21st century time year relative date adjustment stuffs

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
By UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
Published April 12, 2005

CHICAGO -- An electrical engineer at the University of Illinois is testing a superfast computer chip that cycles 600 billion times a second and could get a lot faster.

The new chip developed by researchers led by Milton Feng eclipsed the previous record of 560 billion cycles set by Japanese engineers. Feng told the journal applied Physics Letters the chip may reach speeds of 1 trillion cycles a second, the Chicago Sun-Times said.

The chip promises to make applications like Internet connections 100 times faster than current broadband.

The indium phosphide and indium gallium arsenide semiconductor is super efficient. It runs cooler than current silicon chips and would greatly extend battery life of portable electronic equipment like cellular telephones and laptop computers.

The new chips initially would cost 100 times more to manufacture, but those costs would drop quickly making the chip more affordable, Feng said.

www.wpherald.com...

Wow, silicon/germanium move over, with potential expected speeds of 1 trillion cycles a second & internet connections 100 X faster than current broadband, these indium phosphide/indium gallium arsenide combo semiconductors seem to be the deal. Warp drive won't just be for sci-fi starships anymore.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ok, I'm finally closing this survey so any more people who reply aren't going to be added to the results, because the assignment is due tomorrow. But if you still want to add your 2 cents go ahead!

So here are the totals for people surveyed on ATS alone:
SA - strongly agree, A - agree, NS - not sure, and so on...

Computers will still be using digitally based processors in 10 years.
1) SA: 3 A: 12 NS: 0 D: 0 SD: 0

We will have 10+ GHz processors in 10 years.
2) SA: 4 A: 6 NS: 1 D: 4 SD: 0

Computers, in 10 years, will be small enough to put in the pocket (minus the moniter), yet powerful enough to handle a very graphics-intensive game.
3) SA: 4 A: 8 NS: 2 D: 1 SD: 0

In 10 years, computers will no longer have less than 2 GB of RAM.
4) SA: 4 A: 8 NS: 1 D: 1 SD: 0

10 years from now computers will use brain cells to compute data at unheard of speeds.
5) SA: 0 A: 1 NS: 0 D: 10 SD: 4

In 10 years, computer keyboards will be projected onto the typing surface by a small projector, and can detect keystrokes.
6) SA: 3 A: 4 NS: 3 D: 5 SD: 0

Computer moniters will have "Billions" and "Trillions" of colors as an option, in 10 years.
7) SA: 1 A: 4 NS: 2 D: 5 SD: 3

10 years from now, computer moniters will have resolutions near 5120 x 3840.
8) SA: 6 A: 8 NS: 0 D: 0 SD: 1

And I still need ColonelForbin and iceofspades age for the survey.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join