It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New kind of hard drive coming soon!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is what I find remarkable. The technology that Hitachi uses was pioneered in the 19th Century.

Perpendicular recording was pioneered by the late 19th century work of Danish scientist Valdemar Poulsen, who demonstrated magnetic recording with his telegraphone.

He is widely thought to have been the first to experiment with magnetically recorded sound using perpendicular methods.

The technology industry wants smaller hard drives that hold more information to go into all kinds of digital devices like portable music players.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 05/4/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Mega-large capacity hard-drives is intriguing to say the least but we need larger and faster CPU's to keep up with all this storage space.

I'd like to see at least a 1K-bit processor operating at 1 terahertz to go along with these T HDD's.

it's not the speed of the cpu. what we need is the speed of the busses and memory to match the speed of the cpu, then you'll start having faster computers. also is cpu's were like atmel microcontrollers then that would be fast as then execute i instruction per clock cycle not like most cpu's which take several cycles to exectue an instruction

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
jumpspace, what I wrote about may be a little down the road, but I strongly believe that the things Motile mentioned about quantum computing will indeed become a reality. IMHO, quantum computing will be the next big revolution in the industry. It will instantly make classical computing methods obsolete, as there is simply no comparison between the two.

I think when quantum computers become available on a mass scale, that's when the magic begins. It will change humanity on an unprecedented scale. Be it for the good or the bad, I can't say; all I know is it will be HUGE. And it will make possible many things that we can only dream of now.

I wish I could come back in 500 years just to see what has transpired. Assuming mankind hasn't annihilated itself, I imagine it would be like magic.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by netbound
jumpspace, what I wrote about may be a little down the road, but I strongly believe that the things Motile mentioned about quantum computing will indeed become a reality. IMHO, quantum computing will be the next big revolution in the industry. It will instantly make classical computing methods obsolete, as there is simply no comparison between the two.

I think when quantum computers become available on a mass scale, that's when the magic begins. It will change humanity on an unprecedented scale. Be it for the good or the bad, I can't say; all I know is it will be HUGE. And it will make possible many things that we can only dream of now.

I wish I could come back in 500 years just to see what has transpired. Assuming mankind hasn't annihilated itself, I imagine it would be like magic.

Thats exactly right!

In medical science there has been a few revolutions, 1 was anasthetic, 2 was antibiotics and so on, the next big revolution will be genetic engineering and gene therapy.

In computers its the same, the next revolution will be quantum computers with unimaginable computing power (its highly probable we are talking A.I), computers double their power every 18 months this means that in the not to distant future we will reach the limits of the physical matter we make comuters from, quantum computers take it to the next level. It also opens up a whole new world of quantum technology the likes of which the human race has never dreamed.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Starting in May 2005 Yahoo is going to give all it's free users 1GB of mail storage.

whatsnew.mail.yahoo.com...

"Coming soon! 1GB of storage, free to all users
There's more in store with Yahoo! Mail. By early May, all free Yahoo! Mail users will receive an email storage increase to a whopping 1GB."

I assume they will be using the HD's in subject.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
Starting in May 2005 Yahoo is going to give all it's free users 1GB of mail storage.

There's more in store with Yahoo! Mail. By early May, all free Yahoo! Mail users will receive an email storage increase to a whopping 1GB."

Gmail have had 1 gig email storage for ages now, they use big servers not HD's.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I look forward to the larger storage capacity for one reason and one reason alone, My movies. I want to be able to take all the DVD's I have piled up all over the place and simply place them on one drive. Then, when i'm in the mood to watch a movie I can simply grab my remote, hit the playlist button, choose a movie and enjoy my popcorn and beer. (and rolaids)

With the mountain of DVD's I have right now, that isn't possible.

I'm ready for technology to take the next leap. I've had a 2.4 gig authentic Pentium with 1024 megs of DDRam for two years now and i'm in the mood for an upgrade. I'm just holding out because the moment I commit, lay down the cash and get my new system home, They will come out with virtual computers that you wear as eye glasses and are twice as powerful as whatever the hell it is I just bought.

I love computers with all my heart, but they are the most annoying invention since the advent of children.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I would love to have a 3.5 hard drive that could hold 1tb, i currently have a 80 and a 160, and soon will buy a 250. The main reason people want massive storage is not because of there downloaded songs, some people have shows and movies on there computers, i do, and they can take up a lot of space. and in a couple years all tv will be High Def., and if you want to record or download tv shows in High def quality that will require HUGE amounts of space. and lastly, its not one thing, its everything...Games that requires several gigs os space, music, music videos, tv shows, movies, business software, pictures from the net and personal ones, there are just so many uses for the home PC, and thats why we need bigger hard drives.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Motile

Originally posted by Lanotom

Gmail have had 1 gig email storage for ages now, they use big servers not HD's.

I have a g-mail account, and it was recently bumped up past 2 gigs. However its still in its "Beta- Invitation only" phase.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Motile
computers double their power every 18 months

thats not true.

Its stupid to predict the future by the past.

If I grew 1 ft in the last 5 years...you would predict that I would grow 4 more feet in 20 years...see what I mean.

Same goes for whoever said we will be at 16.4 gb of RAM in 10 years,
, it doesn't work like that.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I read an article a few years ago that talked about holographic storage. Basically, using lasers/optics to record data in 3 dimensions. I don't remember capacity, but I recall that a cubic centemeter of space could hold the entire library of congress.

Couple this with quantum computing and nano technology and whammy!, you've got some serious mail.

Now, if we can just make this zero-point energy thing a reality then really watch out.

I look forward to the day that nano-bots can be injected into the human body with instructions to diagnose or perform micro-surgery without cutting into someone.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Mega-large capacity hard-drives is intriguing to say the least but we need larger and faster CPU's to keep up with all this storage space.

I'd like to see at least a 1K-bit processor operating at 1 terahertz to go along with these T HDD's.

I think the cell chip will would be qualify as a fast CPU:
check link:

The technology inside the Cell is being heralded as revolutionary, from a technical standpoint.

Traditional computers - whether they are household PCs or PlayStation 2s - use a single processor to carry out the calculations that run the computer.

The Cell technology, on the other hand, uses multiple Cell processors linked together to run lots of calculations simultaneously.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Motile
computers double their power every 18 months

thats not true.

Its stupid to predict the future by the past.

If I grew 1 ft in the last 5 years...you would predict that I would grow 4 more feet in 20 years...see what I mean.

Same goes for whoever said we will be at 16.4 gb of RAM in 10 years,
, it doesn't work like that.

Yes it is.Computer power doubles roughly every 18 months, it will until it reaches the physical limits of the matter its made of.

Look it up, your logic is flawed. its not natural growth its engineered growth due to economics, to compare the finite growth of a living organism is misguided.

Its called Moores law.

www.builderau.com.au...

[edit on 11-4-2005 by Motile]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join