It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokey Mountain Volcano?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
While looking at the USGS recenteq site I noticed some EQs in eastern TN in the Smokey Mountain area and was wondering if anyone knew if there has ever been any volcanic activity in that area or there was a remote possiblity that one of the peaks there could be dormant volcanos. I'm no expert on historic geology so I don't know if it's even a possiblity I just think it's a strange spot to be seeing EQ activity.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've never heard of onebeing there.....but all volcanos start on a faultline, right? And mountains occour where there is a fault line....

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This is very interesting. Could you supply us with a link to the site where you seen the EQ activities?

I know the Appalachians are far from being a high moutain range, but from visiting Mount Mitchell and other areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway, they were as high as the Himalayas at one time in history.

I've never seen any mention or paid any attention to a dormant volcanoe though.

Hey, I'll go look for some info.

EDIT: added a link.

Here's something: vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Not much out there on east coast volcanoes though.

[edit on 6/4/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I would doubt the appearance of a volcano in that mountain range (maybe thousands of years from now)
The midwest and east coast do have many seismic hiccups due to shallow faults that cross all of america, but these faults don't have areas that go deep into the crust.
The most immediate threat of volcano comes from areas that have a heat and pressure buildup from being close to deep magma pockets.
these areas are Yellowstone, the pacific northwest, pacific coast and areas of arizona and new mexico. The most unusual location of a volcano would in fact be the smokey mountains or greatlakes regions...
then again...
I am not a volcanologist, but i can say that any volcano that has occured in the last 50 years has been predicted by at least a few scientists...
and none of them was "surprising" for the locale.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It is a pretty sure bet that the Appalachian mountains pose no volcano threat. You see the chain was formed by the collisios of two plates of equal density, leading to massive uplift a la the Himalayas. Now this really doesn' lead to much in the way of volcanism. For volcanoes you need either subduction, like in the Ring of Fire, or a Hot Spot, like Hawaii. Now add to this the fact that the collision which created the Smoky Mountains and the Appalachians is over and done with, and the chain is slowly being eroded to nothing, and your threat drops virtually to zero.

top topics

join