It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adams urges IRA to embrace peace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has appealed to the IRA to help rebuild the Northern Ireland political process.

In a direct call to members of the terror group, he asked them to "fully embrace and accept" democratic means.

He said the text of his statement had been given to the leadership of the IRA.

Mr Adams said he wanted to speak directly to members of the IRA, describing them as "courageous" and praising its ceasefire.

It had "kept every commitment made by its leadership", he said.

The struggle had reached a defining moment and he appealed to members of the IRA to move forward.

"For over 30 years, the IRA showed that the British government could not rule Ireland on its own terms. You asserted the legitimacy of the right of the people of this island to freedom and independence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It seems Gerry Adams is forcing the IRA to turn away from arms and help build peace in Northern Ireland. I feel this is excellent news for the area. Hopefully, peace can come to Northern Ireland.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Bit by bit, despite the occassional setbacks, it seems things get better over the years in NI.

Here's hoping the hopeful statement is matched by a positive and tangible response from the IRA soon.

With a little luck (once the general election is out of the way and Labour returned) there might well be some good progress in NI.

(in the unlikely event of a tory win I fear we would be quickly back to the tired old 'security solutions' - which aren't any actual real solution at all, as the last 30yrs showed only too well - and the chance of a generation to finally and equitably sort the horrible mess that is NI would be blown, probably for decades. To all our - great - cost.

Sorry to be so 'party political' about it but that's how I see the tories on this, they don't seem to have a clue as to how to move the process on they just keep parroting the old 'ideas'.)

[edit on 6-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yeah,
i totally understand what you mean about the tories. They dont have a plan on Northern Ireland to be honest, i think Howard was asked and he said "they would deal with it"...abit bare if you ask me.

new topics

join