It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FBI seeks to expand their powers with less oversight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
FBI Director Robert Mueller requested that congress expand the bureau's search power as well to grant them the ability to obtain records without approval of a judge or grand jury. Robert Mueller believes that portions of the Patriot Act must be preserved if they would like to properly combat terrorism as well as foreign intelligence activity.

www.msnbc.msn.com
WASHINGTON - FBI Director Robert Mueller on Tuesday asked lawmakers to expand the bureau’s ability to obtain records without first asking a judge, and he joined Attorney General Alberto Gonzales in seeking that every temporary provision of the anti-terrorism Patriot Act be renewed.

“Now is not the time for us to be engaging in unilateral disarmament” on the legal weapons now available for fighting terrorism, Gonzales, for his part, told senators.

He said that some of the most controversial provisions of the Patriot Act have proven invaluable in fighting terrorism and aiding other investigations. “It’s important that these authorities remain available,” Gonzales told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So the FBI wants to extend their search power with less oversight?

What I find alarming in this article is that Robert Mueller states that 'Experience has taught the FBI that there are no neat dividing lines that distinguish criminal, terrorist and foreign intelligence activity'

So Mueller is basically stating that there is absolutely no division between a car thief and a international terrorist. This is absurd and I can't believe he's trying to slide this right under congress. If Muellers FBI expansion passes, then all I can say is get ready for a Police State.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
In one hand they say they won't use parts of the Patriot Act without court approval and in the other hand, they say they don't want want any oversight
I know we will never be able to get rid of the Patriot Act but Congress really needs to think long and hard and carefully read the Act this time before renewing the "questionable" parts. The sneak and peek part is really the scariest to me. It allows the FBI to search your house and not even tell you that they were there.

[edit on 4-6-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, the legacy of the Patriot Act lives on. Not that anyone could not see it coming. But weren't we all blinded by the "Us or them" propoganda? BTW Has anyone noticed that following the basic rules of logic, Bush's foriegn policy of "Terrorist are our enemy, people who harbor Terrorists are our enemy, and Therefore all who Harbor terrorists are terrorists." doesn't work? Just a thought, using logic to solve the nations fallacies.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Worldwatcher, not only that but it also entitles the FBI to place cameras and audio listening devices in ones house if you are suspected of promoting, harbouring, and implementing terrorist activity. Although with this report, Robert states that 'their is no division between terrorist in criminals'. So what it is it FBI? If you don't pay a traffic ticket then are you automatically a terrorist suspect which would give them the right to place your home under surveillance?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I watched Judge Andrew Napolitano argue strongly against certain portions of the Patriot Act last night. One truly frightening aspect was something called "Sneak and Peek":

Legislators and law enforcement officials are now debating whether the Patriot Act should be renewed. Fox News contributor Judge Andrew Napolitano expressed strong objections to one part of the act known as "sneak and peak," which authorizes law enforcement agents to search a home without obtaining a search warrant from a judge. "Sneak and peek allows FBI agents to invade your house with a self-written warrant. It's directly contradicted by the Constitution, and the leading opponents are conservatives." Judge Napolitano described another aspect of the Patriot Act he deems offensive. "The provision says if you are the target of a search warrant, you can not tell anyone. You can not tell your spouse or your lawyer." However, Napolitano said the Patriot Act also has some good provisions and predicted it will be renewed.
O'Reilly Factor

I bolded the text that surprised me.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
jsobeky--Thanks for that. You can't tell your wife or lawyer, sneek and peak--what a bunch of bull ----. Come-on people we have to load-up on congress, not only our own state reps but those that bend over for the Republicans like Senator Lieberman and rep Ford from tennessee and many others. It's getting to be too much of a one party system.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Please remind me,

Isn't this the same FBI that fired Sible Edmonds, who pointed out they had translators cheering 911?

They fire patriots and hire traitors.

NO this FBI should be shutdown all together and an actual patriotic agency built to do the job.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The sneak & peak seems like an extension of *SAMS (Special Administrative Measures) now being applied to designated person(s) of interest. It has been applied to the current case of white supremacist Matthew Hale:

(U.S. District Judge James) Moody sided with prosecutors, who said the crime was akin to terrorism and thus merited 40 years.

Hale claims he never wanted her killed. Hale, acting as his own attorney, argued the law he was convicted of breaking does not mention terrorism and that eight years should have been his maximum sentence.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

So today it's alleged conspiring domestic US born supremacists now being brought under the terrorism blanket by the justice department, prosecutors & judges. I don't think it's a stretch to say this "trend" could eventually be applied down to those resisting arrest, civil disobedience, freedom of speech, right to protest,etc - solely at authoritative discretion & choosing without challenge by due process. The supreme court has shown a dereliction of duty to the American people by refusing to hear the Padilla case prior to these patriot act hearings. This Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act's intentionally ambiguous wording and lawmakers odvious reluctance to apply more stringent, descriptive language thoroughly defining "terrorist" makes this so-called act of patriotism resemble little more than an insidious gestapo manifesto with designs to intentionally undermine constitutional guaranteed rights to privacy, speech, and protest of US born citizens, circumventing checks & balances, granting absolute power to the executive branch on whoever they construe as a threat - conveniently obfuscating distinctions between national and personal, with present/future abuses being as absolute as the power granted.

More on SAMS:
Special Administrative Measures (SAMS)

Special administrative measures (SAMS) limits such privileges as correspondence, visiting, interviews with the news media and use of the telephone.

Federal regulations authorize the attorney general or the head of a law enforcement agency to order SAMs for a prisoner where "there is a substantial risk that a prisoner's communications or contacts with persons could result in death or serious bodily injury to persons, or substantial damage to property that would entail the risk of death or serious bodily injury to persons." SAMs can also be imposed to prevent disclosure of classified information.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Does this even surprise anyone anymore! Less Oversight & More Power - Surprise! This kind of reminds me how EVERYONE was complaining about the CIA & our GARBAGE Intelligence after 9/11 & Iraq War - then Bush Comes out & Signs a Law giving them CIA EVEN MORE POWER!!! He also gave Tenent a MEDAL! Are we starting to see a Pattern here folks? Our Government has a Biased & Dis-Honest Agenda - why else would they be so Secretive? They are trying to Consolidate their Power & SQUASH all Dissent! Sounds like something Putin would do to me - so what is Bush Complaining about? He is doing the same thing here in this Country as Putin is doing down there!

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
at least putin is open about it. he doesn't try to cover it up by naming his enabling law 'patriot'.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   

from Vajrayana:

So today it's alleged conspiring domestic US born supremacists now being brought under the terrorism blanket by the justice department, prosecutors & judges. I don't think it's a stretch to say this "trend" could eventually be applied down to those resisting arrest, civil disobedience, freedom of speech, right to protest,etc - solely at authoritative discretion & choosing without challenge by due process.

Very true. The law is too arbitrary, too open-ended. It could be used as you suggest with no recourse for the accused.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I ask if "partners country" know about famous "Intel graphic chip" put in all places (I have one into big hub).

The problem is trusting. US wish partners or US wish to be inquisitor ?

What is more important : American trea-sure (tree zero) or friend-chips ?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am Generally FAIRLY Conservative but I think giving Big Brother More power with LESS oversight is a HORRIBLY BAD idea...I think the Whole PATRIOT ACT ought to be Scraped And a More American National Friendly program be put in its place.........One That closes our borders Sructinizes American/Muslim population just lil bit more

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hunter_1976
I am Generally FAIRLY Conservative but I think giving Big Brother More power with LESS oversight is a HORRIBLY BAD idea...I think the Whole PATRIOT ACT ought to be Scraped And a More American National Friendly program be put in its place.........One That closes our borders Sructinizes American/Muslim population just lil bit more

I agree. It's true that not all muslims are terrorist but all terrorist that are a threat to america in recent times are muslims.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I normally don't do this but im going to have to bump this article due to the fact that there are lot of submissions that are floating around on ATSNN that deal with the same topic.

I caught this on April 6 2005. Not saying that the other submissions shouldn't be upgraded, I'm just saying that I caught on to this nearly 3 months ago.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I caught this on April 6 2005. Not saying that the other submissions shouldn't be upgraded, I'm just saying that I caught on to this nearly 3 months ago.

Wow, Sim, you're pounced on three threads proclaiming that you had reported this before. The developments that are happening now are new. The draft version of the PAII has been leaked and a copy is available to the public. The FBI is now before a Senate Comittee asking for expanded powers again. Your story reported Robert Mueller asking for the powers, now it has gone before a senate committee. But if you're going to start pointing the finger, this story on April 5 reported on the events a full day before you submitted yours: www.atsnn.com...

Don't worry, mate. No one's trying to steal your thunder.

top topics

join