It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was really, really shocked when I saw this !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The US has an advanced technology product (ATP) deficit since 2002 !!!
www.cardin.house.gov...

In 2004 the US had a total ATP deficit of 37 billion. The trade of advanced technology with China is a deficit of 36.3 billion.
www.uscc.gov...

So, the US is importing more advanced technology than she is exporting, and that is already from 2002.

The category of products of the ATP

*Biotechnology (i.e. New hormones, vaccines, etc)
*Life Science (i.e. MRI machines, ophthalmic instruments, microscope equipment, etc )
*Opto-Electronics (i.e. Optical scanners, photosensitive semiconductor devices, solar cells, etc)
*Information & Communications (i.e. Disk drives, radio transmitters, telephonic apparatuses, etc)
*Electronics (i.e. Transistors, semiconductor diodes, silicon chips, etc)
*Flexible Manufacturing (i.e. Industrial robots, milling machines, hydraulic presses, etc)
*Advanced Materials (i.e. Optical fibers, parts for cameras, etc)
*Aerospace (i.e. Jet engines, spacecraft, helicopters, etc)
*Weapons (i.e. Military weapons, optical telescopes, parts for bombs, grenades, etc)
*Nuclear Technology (i.e. Nuclear reactors, enriched uranium, isotope separation machinery, etc)
www.americanprogress.org...

We know the US cannot compete on labor costs nor on population, but now it seems she is also losing her technological edge. I think I have to set back my estimated year when I said that the US will lose her super power status one day.

Blobber

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I am so sorry Blobber, but British Aerospace Engineering (BAe) is slowly but surely buying up your defunct defence contractors. Just look at their aquisitions on the main website to see what I mean.

I am also sorry that the British taxpayers are also funding research, engines and other 'things' for the JSF programme.

But I suppose, it just goes to show that even the all powerful USA needs us lesser nations to make you tick.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
I am so sorry Blobber, but British Aerospace Engineering (BAe) is slowly but surely buying up your defunct defence contractors. Just look at their aquisitions on the main website to see what I mean.

I am also sorry that the British taxpayers are also funding research, engines and other 'things' for the JSF programme.

But I suppose, it just goes to show that even the all powerful USA needs us lesser nations to make you tick.

Uhm mate, I think you have mistaken me. I am Dutch. I was just very surprised about the whole ATP thing. Well, globalization predicts a more or less evenly distribution of wealth and technology (convergence), but I found it shocking that we are already more or less withnessing it

Blobber

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

I havent heard of BAE actively buying into US aerospace comanies, links??

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There's a couple dozen thrid world countries that are much poorer and low-tech than the US. They're poor because they're incompetent vs. the economies of the rich countries and also the rich countries are taking all the good resources. There's only so much resources in the world and only so much trade, not everybody can have everything, but a few countries are taking close to everthing, that's why the 3rd world is poor. The decline that the US is experiencing is probably due to a shift in the world economy/resource balance because of other once-poor countries rising up.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yeah... its just countries that once were not a factor growing rapidly as the U.S. did during WWII and after, countries like India and China.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Actually UFO3, I said check out BAe's main site.

Appologies to you Blobber, I am old and my eyes are dim! I cannot read Avtars as I once could.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Welp, I have to tell you that we europeans knew this all along...Phillips currently is producing some of the most advanced equipment, esspecially medical equipment like 3D X-rays and all sorts of wonderful stuff....

The US might be suffering from a braindrain too, all the scientist from WW2 are either dead or retired, more and more people are dropping out of school...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Now that is one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard. A country of almost 300 million people suffering from a "brain drain?" It is a global economy these days, not everything is separated.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
OH thank you for calling me dumb Broadsword, I appriciate it

I stated my reasons why I believed this and you criticize it....

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Big deal, so the US isn't at the top of EVERY statistic. I think it's worth noting the large number of foreigners who are educated in American schools. Yes, these people are extrememly hardworking and intelligent, but they are learning at institutions in the US and they return as doctors and engineers. The reason why America has a "braindrop" or whatever is due to the high level of prosperity, it's not always necessary to be technologically inclined in order to suceed in life. The average 15 year old in America knows more about HTML than probably 90% of the world.

new topics

top topics

join