It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new rifle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
the rifel is the xm8 it may become the usa's standard issure rifle

www.globalsecurity.org...

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Echo4Mike]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Echo4Mike]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
the Link you provided is not working. This weapon looks interesting and kind of toy-like at the same time. Please provide the name of the weapon or a good link so we can check it out. Thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
sorry about that it should be working now

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Its not really new, but it is part of the FCS and Land Warrior programs. Also the deployment of this rifle will shared by the XM-29. Both rifles will be in operation and both will be standard infantry rifles.

Here is the XM-29

XM-29OICW

Here is how both weapons will be deployed and issued to troops.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
personaly i dont want them to replace the m4 or m16... as they say if it aint borke dont fix it

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Seriously you dont get much better than the M4. It is a model citizen. I dont like the new guns because they look to futuristic and robocopish. I know that looks dont matter if they get the job but still...gosh. Thats what I like about the M4 is that it justs looks tough.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
[edit on 6-4-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There's loads of threads already on the XM8.

XM8: the future gun of the U.S. millitary

7 Great XM8 Videos

XM8 and FN2000

XM-8 Rifle

On the second post on the last linked thread, Spectre has put some links to some pages on the XM8.

ATS, BTS, PTS Search

Before starting a new thread, always do a search to see if your idea or question has been covered before. I usually find that mine have been previously addessed.

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 6/4/05 by Hyperen]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Man, Westpoint this OICW looks much better than the old version. Looks like the weight and size issues are really being solved!

Just compare :

new version

old bulky version

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon
Seriously you dont get much better than the M4. It is a model citizen. I dont like the new guns because they look to futuristic and robocopish. I know that looks dont matter if they get the job but still...gosh. Thats what I like about the M4 is that it justs looks tough.

amen brother

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The us only really needs a new bullet.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
it will be awhile before the xm29 rifle be ready, its still got problems but in the mean time xm8 will be a good transition rifle from m4 to m8 to m29

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here is the current time table for the fielding of the XM-29.

Initial fielding of the XM29 is currently scheduled for GFY08. The XM29 program has implemented a block upgrade or "evolutionary" approach to fielding the weapon system. This encompasses an "initial fielding" of a "Block 1" system, which is designed to enable insertion of future technology enhancements. This approach will expedite completion and qualification of the initial Block 1 design, while preplanning future upgrades, such as advances in sensors and electronics technologies, MEMS fuze elements, advanced composites and materials, fuel cells, Nano technologies, ceramic gun barrels, wireless connectors, and future digital technology. These enhancements will help further reduce system weight, increase lethality, improve ruggedness, and increase system reliability and effectiveness beyond the Block 1 design. The XM29 project schedule is aligned so the First Unit Equipped (FUE) supports the fielding of the Future Combat System (FCS). This positions the Block 1 XM29 FUE in GFY08.

Here is the current schedule for the fielding of the XM-8.

The XM8 Future Combat Rifle is intended to replace existing M4 Carbines and select 5.56mm x45 weapons in the US Army arsenal beginning as early as the fourth quarter of FY05.

I thin the GFY05 is being pushed back to at least to 06, due to the Army holding competitions to see if any other rifle might be better than the XM-8 before they go into full production.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
They actually have been testing it in Iraq. A friend of mine who's in the USMC just got back and the unit he is with, got a few to try out. From what he said, it preformed amazingly well.

It might be a good idea to upgrade to it, if it works as well as he claimed. Might give the edge with a lot of good rifles coming out at the moment and it never hurts to upgrade even if the M4 doesn't need fixing.

"The US XM8 Carbine is being designed at the HK Defense design center in Sterling, Virginia and will be produced and assembled in the United States. The unit cost of the XM8 will be less than that of the current M4 Carbine and will guarantee the American war fighter uncompromising performance far exceeding that of current in-service M4 Carbines."

www.hkdefense.us...

Also, since you need to keep buying weapons if it is better and costs less, then it's a damn good thing.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Odium]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If this becomes the standard assault rifle for the US military, does that mean us Brits can have all thost M-16's that'll be going spare to replace our terribly terrible SA-80???

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
nooo mickey u brits cant have them.........
just kiddin sure either it goes to the brits or israelis

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
If this becomes the standard assault rifle for the US military, does that mean us Brits can have all thost M-16's that'll be going spare to replace our terribly terrible SA-80???

The SA-80 is a damm fine sniping weapon...stick a SUSAT on it and you have one of the worlds most accurate rifles...
I believe that HK has sorted out all of the problems with the SA-80A2...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

stick a SUSAT on it and you have one of the worlds most accurate rifles

Very true, but thats not much use in the desert when u get a stoppage after every five rounds.

I havent heard much about the upgraded version but if it has had all the problems ironed out then there would be no need to replace it! (Although the M-16 would still be better)

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Soon the Canadians will have the M8 too, it will be called the C9 or C10 or something probably...unless they want to stick with their Diemaco C7 and C8 (M16 and M4 clone).

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Very true, but thats not much use in the desert when u get a stoppage after every five rounds.

Havent heard it stop after 5 mabye 30 but not 5.

I havent heard much about the upgraded version but if it has had all the problems ironed out then there would be no need to replace it! (Although the M-16 would still be better)

From what I have heard the M-16 is not as accurate as the SA-80....the SA-80 is good if you said the G-36 I would tend to agree

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join