It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Canadian Automobile Industry Signs Agreement On Climate Change Action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The Government of Canada and the Canadian automobile industry have signed a landmark agreement on climate change.
The voluntary agreement will give consumers fuel-saving choices that will aid in reducing green house gases. The agreement is called the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Under the MOU manufacturers will reduce greenhouse gas emissions from new vehicles so that by 2010, annual emissions reductions will reach 5.3 megatonnes.

www.physorg.com
The MOU was signed by the Honourable R. John Efford, Minister of Natural Resources Canada; Joe Hinrichs, Chair of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association (President and CEO, Ford of Canada); Marcus Breitschwerdt, Chair of the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers of Canada (President and CEO, Mercedes-Benz Canada). All major companies of Canada's automobile industry are part of the MOU.

"This is a good deal for the economy, the environment and consumers. Ultimately, it's a deal that all Canadians will benefit from as the new technologies needed to reach this target come on the market," said Minister Efford. "I'm particularly proud that we've reached this historic agreement voluntarily, which clearly shows the automobile industry is prepared to do its part to address climate change. I congratulate everyone who helped make this day possible."

"Canada's automobile industry has a long history of introducing new technologies that make the vehicles we produce more environmentally friendly and safer," said Mr. Hinrichs. "As we look to the future, we remain committed to doing our fair share to reduce GHG emissions while contributing to economic growth."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to say I'm surprised that Ford of Canada and Mercedes-Benz Canada actually got together with the government and put the MOU together. This should help out Canada a lot with it's agreement with Kyoto.

The automobile industry is a big part of Ontario's economy. Minister of Natural Resources says "This is a good deal for the economy, the environment and consumers. Ultimately, it's a deal that all Canadians will benefit from as the new technologies needed to reach this target come on the market."

Based on that this looks like a big win for the auto industry, Ontario's economy and the environment. This is a great example for the world on what can be done to reduce green house gases.

Related News Links:
www.news.gc.ca
news.ft.com
www.bloomberg.com

new topics

join