It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Rethinking Vitamin E supplements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Taking high doses of vitamin E doesn't protect against cancer and may even speed up the development of cancer. The results of the study surprised researchers but they are consistent with other recent studies indicating that vitamin E supplements may adversely affect health. The researchers suggest a diet that includes five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.

www.rednova.com
Researchers put forth an initial hypothesis that people who eat a lot of fruits and vegetables are less likely to develop cancer. This beneficial effect might come from the many antioxidant vitamins contained in those types of foods. Dr. Bairati and her colleagues thus decided to analyze the impact of vitamin E intake, in the form of a daily food supplement, among a population at high risk of developing a second cancer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have been a fan of vitamin supplements for years. I take daily vitamin E capsules as well as other anti-oxidants.
This new research may make me rethink my supplement regimen.
This study is not alone. There are other new studies that show that vitamin E may not protect against cancer. And that vitamin E may not only not protect against cardiovascular disease but may promote heart failure.

Related News Links:
www.sciencedaily.com
news.yahoo.com
www.fortwayne.com
www.detnews.com

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I remember when back in the 80s everything was "in" antioxidants, aerobics and multivitamins.

I used to take vitamin A, and E and put it directly on my skin, I actually still have the encyclopedia on supplements from the 80s.

My daughter uses vitamin E oil for her skin. Now I am into high fiber diet to help control weight and keep the system healthy.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This seems to contradict what I've heard about beneficial effects of vitamin E. I've heard that the more vitamin E you have in your blood the less chance of a heart attack you have. Of course I believe your article was referring to cancer. I've also heard that vitamin E can help stop the buildup of lactic acid which can happen quickly with aerobic exercise. I've experienced a beneficial effect of vitamin E taken several hours to a day before intense exercise. Of course I've also experienced a beneficial effect to drinking some beer the day before intense exercise so other factors might benefit just as well as vitamin E.

As far as cancer goes, maybe there was an artificial carcinogen in the vitamin E supplement the subjects were given that was unknown to the study originators. One study does cause concern though. After one study that has new findings, most will usually say that more studies are needed. I wonder if a study was done with participants using high doses of natural vitamin E found in certain foods, if the study results would be the same. One study can also make things look worse for all when it only concerns say for instance those sedentary people already prone to getting cancer instead of active people who might benefit from vitamin E.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I never did much with supplements -- I would forget to take them .. Guess that means I need something doesn't it

Marg I've used coconut oil for my skin and hair for years -- it is cheap and soaks in really well (and doesn't take much at all) and everyone says my skin is great. I also use the oil under my arms as a deoderant and it is great if you get any rashes. And that is about the extent of my beauty advice.

jm

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Coconut oil? I am from the Caribbean we used coconut for everything in almost every dish and any part of the body.

Smells so good.
My mother will toast the coconut to get the oil home made.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
orion
I think, like in most things, moderation is the key. Balance, yaknow? If your blood was entirely devoid of Vitamin E, you would be unhealthy or dead. If it was nothing but Vitamin E, you'd definitely be dead. So the middle ground is where you want to be. The question is, how much is too much, and how little is too little?

I think there's a tendency for people to jump on things and overdo them in the name of health, when actually the key is a holistic approach. Whenever we hear about something on the news, "such and such will kill you", it tends to spark a kind of panic, and people overdose on the 'cure' that's pitched at the time.

What we need is a healthier lifestyle all around. We need to keep our body systems in balance to keep them running effectively.

Too much of anything will kill you, ANYTHING. Even water, which is vital to life.

I think it's very irresponsible of the media and the pharmaceutical companies, and the snake oil salesmen of all stripes, to play on people's fears to sell products and win endorsements. Doctors get kickbacks and suddenly all of their patients are on 'the drug of the month', regardless of whether it's really what's right for them.

People in general need to be more skeptical, and ask tough questions of their doctors and themselves. As new medicines and therapies become available, people are faced with an increasingly broad spectrum of choices. Often, they choose to focus on one or two, to the detriment of their health. Average folks need to be more astute regarding the difference between truth and advertising, otherwise we're at the mercy of their misdirection. It will only get better when people take responsibility for their own health, and change their lifestyle, change their perceptions, and change their attitude towards various remedies.

I had one person tell me acupuncture is barbaric.
I had another tell me it could cure all ailments.

Let's all strive to be more reasonable in our assumptions. That won't hurt anything at least.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Good find.

...The timing is what's critical - and the studies are contradictory because the effects of Vitamin E and other antioxidants change depending on whether the underlying disease is in an active or inactive phase.

...There are underlying diseases related to misfolded proteins (usually undiagnosed) that have active and inactive phases. In an active phase, the disease uses the immune system to get around the body - so if you take antioxidants during an active phase, the supplements actually speed disease progression when they boost immune function. OTH, if you take antioxidants when the disease is in its inactive phase, then supplements help.

...So it's absolutely critical to a) have an accurate diagnosis, and b) know how to identify active and inactive phases. Rule of thumb - if you feel rough and "fluey" - don't take any antioxidants (except maybe Vitamin C) - but especially NOT Vitamin E.

...I haven't organized and posted all my research yet - BUT, I can say the research definitely indicates this analysis, plus my personal experience verifies it. See:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry - would write more, but heavy constraints for about 3 more weeks.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Like a lot of things- 'research shows'

This seems to flip back and forth every few years.

Remember aspririn? (aka 'acetylsalicylic acid')

Aspirin foundation propaganda
Aspirin, one of the first drugs to come into common usage, is still the mostly widely used in the world - approximately 35,000 metric tonnes are produced and consumed annually, enough to make over 100 billion standard aspirin tablets every year.

Bayer super propaganda page.

Dr. Cheery- natural aspirin
White willow bark is the original source for salicylic acid, or salicin, the active ingredient in aspirin before aspirin was made synthetically. As a result, white willow bark has the same effect on the body as aspirin but without any of the adverse side effects, such as stomach upset. Studies have also identified several other components of white willow bark that have antioxidant, fever-reducing, antiseptic and immune-boosting effects.

The use of willow bark dates back to the time of Hippocrates (400 B.C.) when patients were advised to chew on the bark to reduce fever and inflammation.

The tip of the iceberg on aspirin. As with vitamin E and others the opinions and 'studies' will continue to bounch back and forth.

new topics

top topics

join