It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: NASA turns to mexican lakes for clues to alien life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
NASA is turning it's sights on a Mexican lake with a unique coral like formation to get a hint of how life develops on other worlds.

story.news.yahoo.com
CUATRO CIENEGAS, Mexico (Reuters) - With cobalt waters harboring eerie, coral-like formations, this archipelago of lakes in Mexico's searing Chihuahuan desert has always had an other-worldly appearance.

Now top researchers at the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration say the calcified clumps of primitive bacteria lurking in its pools could provide important clues in their search for extraterrestrial life.

The network of 170 cactus-ringed lagoons around the town of Cuatro Cienegas have intrigued evolutionary biologists for decades because their fish, snail and turtle species rival the Galapagos Islands in their uniqueness.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very facinating, this site gives clues that life might have been transferred extra-terrestially, it's interesting but not all too suprising that NASA turns to your own planet first for clues on how life develops on other worlds, hopefully this will make us discover life much easier on other planets like the moon Europa or even Mars.

[edit on 5/4/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

The live coral-like formations are akin to ancient colonies of calcified bacteria that first emerged on earth 3.7 billion years ago and dominated life on earth for more than two billion years

It's amazing stuff like this was once the dominant life form on Earth.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yeah, that's definitly facinating.

I wonder what we'd find on Europa...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I wonder what we'd find on Europa.

Europeans.

I know...I know.

top topics

join