It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

comparison of U.S. V. europe subs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Furthermore the British submarine leadership schools are legend in the submarine community. Many American skippers have been there to train with the Brits just like your SAS schools. They wrote the books on many of these skills. Thanks Orangetom

There are only two US candidates for perisher a year (one in Jan and one in July). It was also one of them who a few years ago damaged one of our subs by running into a Scotish island (either Skye or Araan). The Dutch are the best with the DE boats at the moment as they spent many years training to take over the DE perisher when we retired the Upholders.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I believe that all Australian sub commanders undergo the Perisher course. Tom Clancy's book ' Submarine ' gives a rundown of the Perisher course.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
you will find most of the worlds navies have had officers attend at some point (except china russia and france)

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Sp paperplane, what propulsion system do you think is better, Props or Pump Jet Propulsors ?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Sp paperplane, what propulsion system do you think is better, Props or Pump Jet Propulsors ?

depends on the type of sub and what you want to use it for, for SSN's and SSBN's, pumpjets win out everytime. They are much quieter, have a higher power density/volume ratio, the rotating parts are enclosed (potected in shallow water and swimmers are safer round it). They are however more complex to design and maintain, therefore the more expensive choice. It is only really the 3 big western navies that use them (US UK and France). Russia and china have toyed with the idea but havent adopted it yet (as far as i know). I dont know of any DE or AIP subs that have them on as yet. Props are easy to design and make reasonably quiet, they are also probably a little more robust. In the end it is up to the customer and the designers to decide whats best for their needs.

You can kind of sea a pump jet in one of the pictures at:
www.geocities.com...

[edit on 8-4-2005 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I believe that all Australian sub commanders undergo the Perisher course. Tom Clancy's book ' Submarine ' gives a rundown of the Perisher course.

The australians have thier own I believe...its a deisel one I think...dont qoute me on it like..

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
all the latest information on sub design will be discussed at a conference in june

www.rina.org.uk...(Low%20Res).pdf

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

The australians have thier own I believe...its a deisel one I think...dont qoute me on it like..

Yes, we have what we call the ' Collins ' Class subs, which are a Swedish design ( 90% sure ). One of them ( playing OPFOR ) managed to sneak within a thousand yards of a US Carrier during an exercise a year or two ago.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Paper,

Are you going to that conference?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Yes, we have what we call the ' Collins ' Class subs, which are a Swedish design ( 90% sure ). One of them ( playing OPFOR ) managed to sneak within a thousand yards of a US Carrier during an exercise a year or two ago.

they were designed by Kockum's in Malmo, Sweeden (known in the trade rather unfairly as Kockup's)

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Paper,

Are you going to that conference?

Cheers

BHR

not sure yet, i might be (certainly know people who are)

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Wow..paperplane...you're really up on the technology and specs. Where do you come by so much info..curious here..Orangetom

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Orange,

He is a dab hand at the search engine use I feel.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Not everyone in these forums is a 17yr old wannabe (no offense intended to anyone). Some of us actualy work in the defence industry. My own field is experimental hydrodynamics.

Plus i am a member of RINA who are hosting the conference (they do a warship conference each year, and a regular magazine called Warship Technology)

[edit on 8-4-2005 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Paper,

So are you going to the conference?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I suspected so..or very similar by the technical jargon so fluently used.
I am in the industy too..in Newport News, Virginia. Orangetom

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
depends on how busy i am with other stuff, some work colleuges will definatly be attending.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Paper,

I am trying to convince my bosses to stump up and pay for me to go to this as part of my "career/educational development".

So I may see you there.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Paper,

I am trying to convince my bosses to stump up and pay for me to go to this as part of my "career/educational development".

So I may see you there.

Cheers

BHR

I know what that one is like! Subs are not directly my field so it is hard to convince the powers that be to let me go. The ones in the past are quite good though (have most of the preceedings). Well worth it if you can make it.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Here is some intresting sonar arrays, Lockheed Martin has been working on. This is why I think the US is good in advanced acoustic sensor technology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join