It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ukraine's Viktor Yushchenko Visits U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Ukrainian President Viktor Yuschenko began his three-day trip to the United States on Monday with a high-profile meeting at the White House with President Bush, where he was well received. On Tuesday, he met with business leaders in Chicago and spoke at a meeting held by the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations. Wednesday, he'll be giving a speech to a joint session of the U.S. Congress before returning home. Yuschenko's victory in last year's disputed Ukrainian election made him a heroic symbol of freedom and democracy in the U.S. and other Western countries.

www.bloomberg.com
April 4 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. President George W. Bush welcomed Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko to Washington, saying his election was evidence of democracy's spread in the world and promising to bolster trade and economic aid.

Bush said he supports Ukraine's push to join the World Trade Organization and lift U.S. trade restrictions.

``You are a friend to our country and an inspiration to all who love liberty,'' Bush said at a joint press conference with Yushchenko today at the White House. He called the so-called Orange Revolution that lifted Yushchenko to power ``an example of democracy for people all around the world.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yushchenko is a brave man for standing up to the once powerful forces backed by Russia that didn't want to allow him to become president. Hopefully with the U.S. and Europe, he'll be able to lead the Ukraine on a path to further freedom, democracy and closer ties with the West. I'm glad to see him here in the United States and I can't wait to hear his speech to Congress.

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Viktor Yushchenko Inaugurated as President of Ukraine
WAR: Ukraine Orders Troops Removed From Iraq

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I certainly hope Yuschenko does well as the President of Ukraine, but so far I haven't heard anything interesting from him. He's anti-corruption, which is good, and he's playing the nationalist hand to a large degree. Apart from that, he's not that interesting a figure. All right, he won the election and he should get credit and respect for that. But to declare the tax on transit of Russian oil through his territory the staple of future Ukr economy is a laughable thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yuschenko is speaking now to Congress.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
He's requesting a sizable increase in aid.

Perhaps this is a trick? He was put forward as the 'good' guy, there was that whole poisoning episode, and now he comes to America and says, "I need money to make Ukraine more democratic", hmmm - it does make one wonder.

I'm not saying for sure that that's the case, just an interesting speculation, given theories that perhaps the collapse of the Soviet Union was staged for the benefit of the communist elite. We were talking about this yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join