It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Apnea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Not too long ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea - I went through the whole sleep study ordeal, and I'm now using a APAP machine at night to make those shut-eye hours a little more valuable in the long run....

I was curious as to how many other members here at ATS either have sleep apnea or once had it but are now cured. Did you find that a C/APAP machine worked for you? Were there other approaches you took to get a good night sleep?

For those who are unaware of what sleep apnea is, there's a very serious chance that you may have it and simply be unaware of it....Considering its life-threatening nature and the other 12 million Americans who suffer from it, I'd suggest anyone who can't quite understand why they still feel exhausted in the mornings or wake themselves or others up snoring to check out the link below:
www.sleepapnea.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I totally understand Enron, it should be renamed PITA(Pain In The Ass). Amazing isn't it that a person can wake themselves up by their own snoring.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I was curious as to how many other members here at ATS either have sleep apnea or once had it but are now cured. Did you find that a C/APAP machine worked for you? Were there other approaches you took to get a good night sleep?

My wife had it when she was heavy... She did find that the C/APAP machine worked well. That was the ONLY thing that worked well. Soon after her WL surgery though, she didn't need it anymore...and 180 lbs later, she doesn't need it now.

I have a friend who uses it (needs it, he's huge) and he has it REAL bad. Without it, there's a good chance he might suffocate in his sleep.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I totally understand Enron, it should be renamed PITA(Pain In The Ass). Amazing isn't it that a person can wake themselves up by their own snoring.

Quite amazing....I hear people tell me I snore like a friggin banshee, but I usually don't wake myself up unless it's really loud....Which makes you ponder the question...How loud IS really loud?

Pain in the ass is right though.....Before, I used to just turn off the light and hop in bed....Now I've got to make sure the humidifier is clean, fill it up, wash the damn mask every day and I hope I don't break it or else I'm out $300, then I've got to untangle myself when I roll over at night and become asphyxiated by the very damn hose that's giving me air-pressure....Talk about irony.....

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My dad has to use one of those machines, and it helps him tremendously. His sleep apnea actually caused him to have a minor stroke. His heart would go wild when he quit breathing and knock loose small clots that went right to his head.

He knew he snored, but when they put him in a sleep clinic they said he would quit breathing for over a min. sometimes. They didn't even let him finish the night there. They gave him one of those machines right away. I think his weight is what started all those health issues, but I remember my grandmother (his mom) would snore like a grizzly bear and she was a small person.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That's true dbates, I go about 210 and my fighting weight is 185, totally fit, so I'm really not 20 pounds overweight. I thank Christ I'm a stomach sleeper, it could be worse.

*Remembers Reggie White.*

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
My wife had it when she was heavy... She did find that the C/APAP machine worked well. That was the ONLY thing that worked well. Soon after her WL surgery though, she didn't need it anymore...and 180 lbs later, she doesn't need it now.

So weight loss worked out to better her sleep apnea? That's great! I certainly could stand to loose some weight, but the doctor's seem to think that's not the primary cause of mine....

Living here in the Tallahassee area, we have SO MUCH pollen I stay congested 365 days a year 24 hours a day....

Without it, there's a good chance he might suffocate in his sleep.

That was what scared me into finally deciding to go with it.....I was hesitant at first b/c I thought I would become dependant on a machine for one of life's most necessary functions.....

I've found that I can go nights without it and wake up feeling much better than before I ever used the machine - Right now though, even though I have one of the most comfortable masks, it still fills so bulky on my face.....I've gotten used to breathing against the air-pressure though, which I thought would be the hardest part....

[edit on 4/5/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
...they said he would quit breathing for over a min. sometimes...

Wow! That's an incredible lapse....I'm glad they made the decision to put a halt to that study then and there...

I tell ya man....That sleep study had to be one of the worst experiences I've had in my life....I don't see how an accurate snapshot of your sleeping pattern can be taken when you're not in your regular sleeping environment and have wires all over you.....
It's a bit archaic....The APAP machine essentially is an home sleep study with far less hassle....Unfortunately, there aren't many health insurances out there that will buy you a private machine to keep as your own, like mine did.....They even paid for me to rent it for a month to set my pressure range…

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Just saw this post.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 3 months ago. I have trouble sleeping through the entire night, have high blood pressure, and tend to fall asleep anywhere I sit.

I was given the C/APAP machine to use only to find out that I feel claustiphobic with the mask on. Both me and my dad have the same problem.

Is there a way to cure this feeling so I can wear my mask? I feel frustrated that I have a machine that can help me and I can't seem to use it. :bnghd:

[edit on 8-4-2005 by knights5629]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hmmm....What kind of mask are you using? I had the luck of having someone who's been in the business for around 12 years point out the downfalls and benefits of nearly every mask available....She suggested the ResMed Activa Mask

Although I haven't worn any others, I have to admit it's very comfortable once you get to using it....

Regardless of which mask you use though, you don't it to be too tight on your face....What's great about the Activa, is that it uses the air pressure to create a suction to your nasal area, so it doesn't have to be secured as tight as other masks....

You also might want to check into making sure all the pieces fit you right....They come in a wide range of sizes that may help ease that feeling of claustrophobia.....

Another thing to try, is use your mask a few hours a day while you're watching TV or on the internet....So that when you go to use it later at night, you'll feel a little more comfortable wearing it....

Hope that helps.....

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. I think I just have the regular mask that fits around your nose.

I will try to loosen the mask to see if that helps. I will also try to wear it while I am watching tv to help.

My wife is really conserned about me not sleeping well.

Thanks for the advice. If you have any other, please let me know.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
My ex-gf was diagnosed. She would get 8-10 hours of sleep and barely be functional the next day. The only reason she went to get tested was right before we broke up she came over and spent the night and as she was sleeping I would notice that she would stop breathing/snoring for 25-30 seconds. I had worked with someone that has apnea and he told us about when he got tested and what happened with him, so this was the only way that *I* knew to have her get tested. What a difference the machine makes though. Now she can get 5 hours of sleep a night, and while not exactly a bundle of energy is able to make it through work and get things done and function.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, I had the test, I use a machine & nose mask.

During the diagnosis my doctor explained that as we put on weight the fatty tissue also builds up on the end of the pate in the roof of your mouth. This soft flap is what vibrates in snoring and finally closes the air passages during sleep.

All you need to do is lose weight! When you have sleep apnea you have less enegy and are normally dog tired at the end of the day so it is difficult at best to go out and exercise.

Catch 22: I'll exercise when I get a little more energy. I'll have a little more energy as soon as I get a good night's sleep. I'd get a little more sleep if I lost a little weight. I'd lose a little weigth if I got a little exercise.

G10

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Catch 22: I'll exercise when I get a little more energy. I'll have a little more energy as soon as I get a good night's sleep. I'd get a little more sleep if I lost a little weight. I'd lose a little weight if I got a little exercise.

There lies the problem.

I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea, had it for many years and I have to lose some weight but being tired, it isn't easy and as you know, when people are tired, they sometimes eat more to try to get some energy in the body.

Got to fight through it though and start off going for longer walks and taking it from there.

new topics

top topics

join