It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Boxer Dies After Bout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
A college teacher who won a regional boxing title three years ago died from a head injury she sustained in a Golden Gloves competition, apparently becoming the first woman to die in a sanctioned bout.

Becky Zerlentes, 34, of Fort Collins, died Sunday, Howard Daniel of the Denver County coroner's office said Monday. The preliminary cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head causing internal bleeding, but results from an autopsy were not immediately available.
MSN reports Death at Boxing Match

This got me thinking. How long untill we are able to televise "live deaths". Maybe executions, (pay-per view) or extreme fighting. I don't personally have taste to see this, but I think Its coming. The internet pretty much quenched my thirst for gore. All the recent beheadings have been posted. I went numb after the third or fourth one, so I stopped watchin them.

But still, I think before long, we will be viewing real time deaths on tv. Maybe not. Any opinions?

PS- My condolences to the family. She sounded like a good person, with a bright future.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Boxing is a rough and dangerous sport. Every fighther be it Boxing, Kickboxing, MMA or whatever knows that they are taking a risk by steping into that ring. I feel for her and her family.

As for your other comment that soon we will be televising "live" deaths on TV I think you are misguided on this issue. I don't think things will get as bad as to the point where they show actual deaths on tv all the time, I mean except from the news which they show some pretty gruesome stuff from time to time.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i dont think on regular broadcast television, but on a pay per view basis. I think it will start with executions. I mean, if we caught BinLadin, would you pay to watch him executed? Hell, I'd buy the dvd !

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm sure the ACLU would find all sorts of places for a 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment' case. To the executionee, the people watching, parents, family, friends, etc.

Although we're not far off with the movies, they're just not 'real.' But, you could make a movie and kill anyone in it if you wanted, it'd be legal. Probably a box office hit.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think we as a collective whole, have an insatiable blood lust. Ever been stuck in traffic over an accident? We all want to see. I think its only a matter of time.

If you look at shows like "First48" or similar ones, their getting closer. Maybe not sports, but actual video of people being murdered or fatal car accidents are not that far off. I think its going to be a neccesity just to compete with the internet.

Think of an hour long Fox special that features the best of Ogrish.com and steakandcheese.com. That would be huge. Since TV is ran by money, its only a matter of time before we see it. Its allready creeping its head in the door.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well, UFC is aired on Spike Tv now. But still, a woman accidently dieing in a boxing match vs televised executions, big leap.

Man, UFC sucks, watched a couple matches, they dance like fairy's for all but the last 5 sec of the round, and then all they do is slap at each other. But then we got to Ken Shamrock, damn he kicked some ass! Miss him from WWF, but damn, he still kicks ass.

top topics

join