It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The winner of Ms. Wheelchair contest, stands up and then loses....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Seems she isn't disabled enough, despite having MD...all because a video shows her standing to teach a class one day... Just popped up on my weird news of the day radar...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Good story, what a stupid idiot. lol.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
O! This has the makings of a great SNL skit:

First girl wins crown...waves to crowd stands up to get award.
Runner up shouts "Hey! She can stand!"
*Gasp from the audiance*
Then the trophy is handed to the second girl
Second runner up shouts "Hey! she can use her arms."
Trophy is handed to the third girl when...
3rd runner has her computer say "Hey she can move her mouth!"

You get the idea. This is the most PC BS I've seen in a while. If she can get into the contest, then let her have the award.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm thinking..South Park..Cartman..Special Olympics...

I'm surprised I didn't catch this on the news, I live for stories like this.
Way to go Gazrok, you brought a smile to my face today.

Awesome...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I didnt even have to read the story, I laughed my a** off at the title of the thread!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I remember this south park, cartman pretended to be retarded so he could win a G, needless to say he lost.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't think this lady could walk across a parking lot. Evidently she can stand some, but that's about it. My favorite quote on the issue was:

"I can't believe it,I thought the whole point of the Ms. Wheelchair program was to educate the public, dispel preconceived thoughts and ideas about what ‘being disabled' means."

No, evidently if you can hobble a little or take two steps before collapsing you're not handicapped.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What can I say?
kneeslappin

Great story.

BTW, dbates, you're looking Dyn-O-Mite.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
BTW, dbates, you're looking Dyn-O-Mite.

Word! I'm just chilling out here at ATS my good Canadian friend.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The article wouldn't load for me, but you say she had Multiple Sclerosis? The severity of the disease comes and goes. My firend's mother has it and some months she can function reasonably well, although still wheelchair-bound, others she can barely bat an eyelid.

edit: I just reread. "MD", not "MS". *slaps forehead* Me-->

[edit on 2005/4/5 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I dont think its funny at all I think its sad. Its tragic that the meaning of such a competition can be perverted like this its ridiculous and I cant even pretend to understand the motivation of the officials involved. I wouldnt go so far as to call it the result of PC hysteria though seems more like typical run of the mill bureucratic narrowmindedness. On a side note I'd like to point out the integrity of the officials who resigned over this matter and the integrity of the runner up who declined to accept the title under such shamefull circumstances. Its a welcome reminder that even under such disreputable circumstances good people will do whats right.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yep, the follow up is that the runner up refused her crown.

The winner's sister actually won in another state (also with MD), and likewise gave up her crown in protest.... I think the national contest is in the next couple months...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
apparently they need to clarify the rules of their contest.............

she HAS MS................she uses a wheelchair for the vast part of her mobility.......but she can stand....???

so the pagent people consider her NOT handicapped enough???

sounds like a lawsuit to me.

i guess next year they'll have new rules that state............contestant must be totally confined to a wheelchair and be unable to stand or walk.

that's just wrong..............poor lady! talk about discrimination.......she's discriminated against even within a contest FOR folks with special needs....

NICE!!

angie

new topics

top topics

join