It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UK Election Set as May 5th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In an announcement today, the Prime Minister has revealed that the General Election is to be held on the 5th May. It was due to have been announced yesterday, but out of respect for the recently deceased Pope, Tony Blair sought his audience with the Queen today. Under UK law, Her Majesty must dissolve parliament first, before any election can take place.

news.bbc.co.uk
The general election will be held on 5 May, Tony Blair has formally announced.

Speaking after asking the Queen to dissolve Parliament next week, Mr Blair said Labour had a "driving mission" for a third term in office.

The Conservative and Liberal Democrat leaders pre-empted the announcement by starting nationwide tours of key seats.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is probably the worst kept secret in UK politics to date. this has been common knowledge for at least a couple of months now that May 5th would be the date.

Despite losing heavily in the past two elections, the Conservatives have been doing well in the polls, with some putting them ahead of Labour, the ruling party.

Alot of this may be down to Tory promises of fairer taxes, less Public Spending and restoring public trust after "suffering" under the Labour Party for the past several years.

What remains to be sen, and what will probably decide the election, is voter turnout and that is currently Labour's biggest concern.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 5-4-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Any odds that there will be 1) a terrorist attack in the next 4 weeks to sway the voters and stop all those "cowards" from voting for non-Labour and 2) vote rigging ala Birmingham to ensure that Labour can continue to carry out its fleecing of Britain.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Birmingham isn't the only place with a vote rigging scandal.. they are prevalent across the country after Junes local elections:

The government says there are very few prosecutions for electoral fraud, but the Guardian has established that criminal inquiries are under way in Reading, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire into allegations of theft of ballot papers, forged votes and personation, which involves filling in ballots in the absence of the voter.

Many inquiries involve allegations of organised vote-rigging on a huge scale during last June's local elections in ar eas where the government piloted all-postal ballots. Other cases involve traditional ballot box elections.

Source: Guardian

[edit on 5/4/05 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hmmmm....... The Guardian. That is of course a Labour supporting newspaper. These police inquiries are bit different from the "Labour Vote Fraud Factory" which was described by the judge, who found the allegations to be true, as worthy of a "Banana Republic".

Without those 6 seat Labour wouldn't have held on to Birmingham City Council and Blair and Co made such a big deal about Birmingham after those elections last year.

On another point. Anyone see that a Labour candidate for this General Election quit and joined the Lib Dems.

His reasons ? Labour has become too authoritarian.

Who can blame him when people can have their freedoms restricted on nothing more than suspicion or evidence garnered from torture.

But no surprise about the date.

Can't wait till it's over to be honest. There should be set terms so there is no debate about election dates.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Agreed John Bull 1,

I'd take it further and say we should have elections every year. We'd need a fully electronic voting system that worked of course. But I think 4 year terms give governments too much confidence and can go against the will of the people and suffer no immediate consequences.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yeah, I know the Guardian is a Labour paper, thats why I chose it, as the situation must be serious for them to talk about it.

I live in Reading myself, and several people are under investigation here for vote rigging.

Also, while not trying to come across as racist, the vast majority of alledged vote rigging appears to have been done by Muslim's. I wonder why this is?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Also, while not trying to come across as racist, the vast majority of alledged vote rigging appears to have been done by Muslim's. I wonder why this is?

One idea could be that they are recent immigrants (not implying Muslims are all immigrants) and not used to British Democracy, rigged elections and voter fraud is much more common in the middle east. Maybe its related

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Why assume the worst, like conspiracies and terror atacks? Or assume if ther eis on, that it certainly is not the fault of the terrorists who've been doing these sort of things for *decades*? People need to quit being so short-sighted and realize that fundamentalist terrorism has been around for decades, not just the last few elections.

There's no need for conspiracy, it's just politics as usual. Power hungry, short sighted people *on both sides* of the aisle. It's a disease that affects any nation that atempts to allow it's people a voice in their leadership.

Politics is the disease, partisanship is a symnptom. Can revolution be the cure?

Originally posted by subz
Any odds that there will be 1) a terrorist attack in the next 4 weeks to sway the voters and stop all those "cowards" from voting for non-Labour and 2) vote rigging ala Birmingham to ensure that Labour can continue to carry out its fleecing of Britain.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Agreed John Bull 1,

I'd take it further and say we should have elections every year. We'd need a fully electronic voting system that worked of course. But I think 4 year terms give governments too much confidence and can go against the will of the people and suffer no immediate consequences.

In my opinion no, goverments make tough decisions most people wouldn't want todo, remember the people making decisions have family and friends who are affected by there decisions. 1 year vote would be anti-progress, it takes time to act on that goverments said plans. If another party was voted in every year, theres less chance of real progress, with party change, comes system change.

Everyone has a different view, there is never one will of the people, some believe fox hunting is bad some believe its good. The same with war.

If i vote to ban it, i insult some, but i am praised by others.
If i vote not togo to war, i insult some, but i am praised by others.

There is rarely a 100% positive situation.
-

My opinion the elections.. is that labour will win not by a large amount but they will win with tory's coming in second.

Vorta

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Vorta]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

What are the conspiracy theorists going to be saying about this. And you all know they will say something.

new topics

top topics

join