It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously, What Can We Do About It... I'm Ready !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

• Stop Idling at the Convenience Store - Leaving your car running while you sit and wait, parked, is tantamount to using your dollar bills to wipe with, and then tossing the used bills around on the ground. Not only do you burn more fuel, you continue to pollute. So when you go to a drive-in, like Sonic, turn the engine off. When you go to the convenience store, turn your engine off. When you are dropping something off, turn the engine off. Stop wasting and polluting.

Thats the only point of yours i have a problem with. Turning off the engine, especially in older cars, only to start it again a minute or 2 later actually wastes more gas than it saves, and causes more pollution. If youre only going to be stopped for 30-120 seconds, theres no good reason to turn your car off.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well everyone could get on the bandwagon and get HEMP legalized, and HEMP (ethanol) cars on the roads, just like Henry Ford intended.

Hemp when grown for seed is 80% its weight in seed, 80% of the seeds weight is oil, the by product of extracting the oil from the seed is healthy viable food for livestock (instead of feeding them renderings of their own species)

Hemp grows 20 feet tall, and in most of the USA could be grown year round.
During World War II, hemp was grown by Boy Scouts (and Hilter youth) for its fiber, if we return to the "Victory Garden" philosphy with a direct intention of producing oil, we can certainly achieve the desired goal of clean, efficient, and abundant fuel.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
  • Stop using cheap gas - You get more mileage out of midgrade. It's a fact. Try one full tank of midgrade versus the low grade fuel, and you'll find your mileage go up by as much as 50-75%, for a cost of about 5-10% more.

• I don't want to sound critical or anything, but where do you find these "facts" about mid-grade giving a boost in mileage up to 75%?

Higher octane gives your car a little power boost that's all.

P.S. How about getting off of people's back's that drive SUV's. Drive what you want and I'll drive what I please. K?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:43 AM
    link   
    how pissed would all of you be if you found out "peak oil" was a hoax and the whole concept of oil deriving from fossils was fabricated-that oil is created naturally inside the earth through a natural process of pressure and heat and that the source is infinite and that deep oil drilling has unlocked the key to obtaining an unending source of oil yet it is being kept a secret in order to fleece the masses-
    Abiogenic petroleum origin
    Fossil Fuels Made without Fossils
    Similar reactions deep in the Earth may churn out hydrocarbons from inorganic matter
    By Gabe Romain
    Betterhumans Staff
    9/13/2004 5:01 PM

Methane Bubble
    Credit: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
    No bursted bubble: Methane bubble formation under conditions similar to deep Earth supports the theory that hydrocarbons are generated there
    Fossil fuel may not require fossils, as the pressure of deep Earth has been found capable of creating hydrocarbons from inorganic matter.

The findings, by an American team of researchers, suggest that hydrocarbons, the main constituents of fossil fuels such as coal, petroleum and natural gas, could be extracted from a virtually endless source.

"These experiments point to the possibility of an inorganic source of hydrocarbons at great depth in the Earth—that is, hydrocarbons that come from simple reactions between water and rock and not just from the decomposition of living organisms," says researcher Russell Hemley of the Carnegie Institution of Washington's Geophysical Laboratory in DC.

Debatable source

There are two theories on the origin of fossil fuels, the biogenic theory and the abiogenic theory.

According to the biogenic theory, fossil fuels are the remnants of ancient plant and animal life deposited in sedimentary rocks.

According to the abiogenic theory, hydrocarbon deposits are primordial, being part of the Earth as it formed. The abiogenic theory holds that petroleum is produced by nonbiological processes deep in the Earth's crust.

Methane is the most abundant hydrocarbon in the Earth's crust and is the main component of natural gas. Often, gas reserves are accompanied by liquid petroleum. These reserves, at three to five miles beneath the surface, exist in relatively low-pressure conditions. At further depths however, crushing pressures and extreme temperature conditions results in matter that behaves much differently.

Whether or not hydrocarbons exist deeper and can be formed from nonbiological matter has been the subject of much debate.

"Huge implications"

For their experiments, the researchers created laboratory conditions mimicking the Earth's upper mantle, which underlies the crust at depths of about 20 to 60 kilometers (12 to 37 miles).

The researchers squeezed materials common at the Earth's surface—iron oxide, calcite and water—to pressures ranging from 50,000 to 110,000 times the pressure at sea level. They then heated the samples to temperatures up to 1,500°C (2,700°F).

They were able to get methane to form by reducing the carbon in calcite over a wide range of temperatures and pressures, supporting the possibility that the deep Earth may produce abiogenic hydrocarbons.

"This paper is important," says physicist Freeman Dyson at Princeton University in New Jersey. "Not because it settles the question whether the origin of natural gas and petroleum is organic or inorganic, but because it gives us tools to attack the question experimentally. If the answer turns out to be inorganic, this has huge implications for the ecology and economy of our planet as well as for the chemistry of other planets."
    www.betterhumans.com...=2004-09-13-3
    In 1970 the Russians started drilling Kola SG-3, an exploration well which finally reached a staggering world record depth of 40,230 feet. Since then, Russian oil majors including Yukos have quietly drilled more than 310 successful super-deep oil wells, and put them into production. Last Year Russia overtook Saudi Arabia as the world's biggest single oil producer, and is now set to completely dominate global oil production and sales for the next century.

If the opening paragraph of this report started by claiming that completely unlimited crude oil reserves exist inside planet earth, readers might be tempted to regard the entire text as preposterous ghostwriting for a novelist like Frederick Forsyth. If the report then went on to claim that the Russians have exploited this stunning reality for nearly thirty years, right under the largely unwitting noses of western intelligence, readers could be excused for mistaking the author for a lunatic, or perhaps as a front for spy novelist John le Carré. The problem here is that unlimited oil reserves do exist inside planet earth, and the Russians long ago developed the advanced technology necessary to recover these unlimited oil reserves in an efficient and timely manner.
    Profoundly disturbing hard intelligence like this does not sit well with the frantic cries of western academic shills and lobbyists, determined to convince you all that the end of the oil world is nigh, or, more accurately, that America faces an imminent catastrophe when global production capacity "Peaks", i.e. when world demand for crude oil finally exceeds the rate at which we can physically pump the required product out of the ground. The gist of these false claims are outlined in a speech given at the at the University of Clausthal, by lobbyist Doctor Colin Campbell during December 2000:
    "In summary, these are the main points that we have to grasp: Conventional [Free flowing] oil provides most of the oil produced today, and is responsible for about 95% of all oil that has been produced so far. It will continue to dominate supply for a long time to come. It is what matters most. Its discovery peaked in the 1960s. We now find one barrel for every four we consume. Middle East share of production is set to rise. The rest of the world peaked in 1997, and is therefore in terminal decline. World peak comes within about five years" [circa 12/2005]
    Campbell is just the tip of a giant iceberg of academic Peak Oil 'experts' who suddenly appeared en-masse to give you this frightening news, right after President Saddam Hussein suddenly started trading his oil in Euros rather than in US Dollars, a devastating switch with the easy capacity to destroy the US Dollar in less than five years if it was left unchallenged and unchecked.
    So these shills [decoys] were carefully positioned to deflect your attention away from the obvious greed and incompetence of the United States Government and its Wall Street masters, and focus it elsewhere instead. Then, hopefully, a few years later down the track when prices start to bounce through the roof, and America has no Euros to buy crude oil, you will blame gasoline prices of $5.00+ per gallon at the pumps on an 'inevitable decline' in world oil production, rather than march furiously on Washington DC with locked and loaded firearms.
    cont...
    www.vialls.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:53 AM
    link   
    Fine we won't tell you what to drive but we'll all laugh when you a have to spend 4 dollars a gallon for your 40 gallon tank that will only get you 300 miles

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:19 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
    P.S. How about getting off of people's back's that drive SUV's. Drive what you want and I'll drive what I please. K?

Nah, I don't think so. You see, by driving an inefficient, wasteful vehicle, you are making my life harder. You are contributing, directly, to a faster rise in fuel prices. You are making my drive, with a standard size auto, more dangerous, both in terms of visibility and the results (to me) in a crash. I'll encourage you, though politely, that you might want a less extravagant[1] vehicle.

Similarly, when I had cable internet[2] and saw a slew of viruses coming from a neighbor's connection I wouldn't just ignore them and assume that the ISP and my virus scanner would take care of the matter. I gave him a couple days to get things cleared up on his own, and when it didn't, I went over and offered my services, gratis, to help clean up his system. I did so both because it was the neighborly thing to do, and because it made my own life easier.

[1] Living in the country, as I do, a lot of my neighbors have SUVs or pickups. It's necessary, here, because we do have to deal with less-than-ideal roads, and have to haul any large items into or out of our property. This is an understandable need for something like an SUV. "But Mary at the club has one and she just loves it" is not.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:00 AM
    link   

Originally posted by labasta
    Well boys and girls, you'll be pleased to know that gasoline will never go above the $5 mark, unless it is really running out. The reason why? Competition of course. A garage in Austin Texas sells 100 biodiesel for $3.40 a gallon.

Vehicular Fuel, in new forms, may not go above $5, until natural inflation takes over. However, "Current Gasoline" prices can expect a steady rise from here on out. Biodiesel sounds interesting, though, I'll have to look into it further. If it still pollutes as much as regular gasoline though, that could be a problem. If those 1,500-some-odd researchers were anywhere near correct, the problems are a lot larger than mere money problems.

Originally posted by syntaxer
    When my current lease expires I will be looking to purchase this Toyota:

This Hybrid car achieves 4.0L/100Km gas mileage...

...Another effective measure we can all do is switch to "energy star" products. It's time we threw out that 1960's beer fridge sitting in the garage, it's time we toss out those ancient washer and dryers!

Amen Brother Syntax! Say it Loud! I can't afford a hybrid, so I went with the cheaper Toyota Echo, which still gets hella good mileage. But hopefully, by the time I'm looking at another car, I can either get a hybid or full on electric.

And definitely Energy Star all the way. Not sure why, aesthetics aside, people don't realize they save more in the long run if they get less power-hungry goodies.

Originally posted by AlanSmithee
    Thats the only point of yours i have a problem with. Turning off the engine, especially in older cars, only to start it again a minute or 2 later actually wastes more gas than it saves, and causes more pollution. If youre only going to be stopped for 30-120 seconds, theres no good reason to turn your car off.

Sorry Alan, but you're just wrong on this one, according to every single source I've looked at, each says the same thing. Idling wastes more gas than parking the car.

An idling car burns more gas in one sixth of a minute than it would if it was turned off and then restarted. Additionally, an idling car produces more emission than starting it up.

Here's some convenient sources for you to look at.

www.langleyadvance.com...
    www.wonderquest.com...
    www.licensingoffice.com...
    www.bankrate.com...

...I could go on, but the simple fact of the matter is that the "two minutes" rule is urban myth. Idling is a waste of fuel.

Originally posted by Legalizer
    Well everyone could get on the bandwagon and get HEMP legalized, and HEMP (ethanol) cars on the roads, just like Henry Ford intended.

(grins) I'm not about to say no to legalizing hemp. And most everyone I know wouldn't mind it being legal either. The problem is, no one can remember where they put the petition.

I don't want to sound critical or anything, but where do you find these "facts" about mid-grade giving a boost in mileage up to 75%?

Higher octane gives your car a little power boost that's all.

From imperical testing. I'm pretty sure I stated it pretty darn clear in the first post I put up. Set your Odometer to 0 once you get down to Empty, and fill up your tank on regular 87 Octane. Then see how many miles you get out of the tank. Once you're back down to empty again, get 89 Octane, and reset the Odometer, and see how many miles you get out of the tank. That should be proof enough for you right there.

Now, looking up sources on the 'net, it says that some cars it makes no difference, and on some it does give better mileage. So, honestly, it might not give you any better mileage. It just depends on the car. Still, it may be worth a one-time "fee" of $2 or $3 to find out with the test.

Nope. I pretty much reserve the right to bag on people who drive SUVs and don't need them, the same way I bag on:

• people who refuse to vote.
    • people who break water conservation during a drought.
    • people who litter.

Why? Because they all equate to the same things: a lack of conscience, a disregard for the community, and blatant waste of resources with no real benefit.

If it's any consolation, it works both ways. Believe me when I say being a male, in Texas, and not owning a pickup truck, makes for some very awkward social situations... When the good ol' boys hold a lakeside barbecue, and my little echo pulls up beside 30 trucks, and the laughter begins... yeah, it sucks... but you can at least see why I have no sympathy for people bagged on about driving SUVs.

Originally posted by Sunofone
    how pissed would all of you be if you found out "peak oil" was a hoax and the whole concept of oil deriving from fossils was fabricated

Hmmm... well, I suppose on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "kinda bummed", 10 being "I saw red, blacked out, and when I came to, they were all dead"...

...I'd say, it'd rate about a 3...

I'd be annoyed, but truth be told, I'd be more relieved than anything else, to know that our needs could be produced artificially as opposed to a limited source that is rapidly running out. That and, as Ufo3 said,

Originally posted by ufo3
    I know i wouldnt be saying this if i lived in the US but get over it, u have very cheap fuel in America compared to me and better wages too!!!!

True. True. Like I said, it's hard to complain about gas prices when I know that other countries are paying half my hourly wage (or more) per gallon.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:02 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Sunofone
    how pissed would all of you be if you found out "peak oil" was a hoax and the whole concept of oil deriving from fossils was fabricated-that oil is created naturally inside the earth through a natural process of pressure and heat and that the source is infinite and that deep oil drilling has unlocked the key to obtaining an unending source of oil yet it is being kept a secret in order to fleece the masses-

You're right... this would really upset a lot of people, but there's no way of proving that it's true...

We'll never know the absolute truth about oil, aliens, JFK etc... blah blah

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join