It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously, What Can We Do About It... I'm Ready !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Gasoline Prices !!!

Is there really anything that we can do about it ? Who do we write to, who do we call, how do we get started ?

I'm ready !

Sunday evening here in NW Ohio, regular unleaded was 2.19gal - Monday morning as I was driving to work, passed by the same gas station and WHAM... $2.34gal !!!

I watch the news and listen to people talking, crude oil prices, price per barrell etc... I just don't completely understand it...

I went here : www.howstuffworks.com...

it was a little helpful...

But, what do we do ?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Try looking for some information on what happened when Truckers and protesters blocked all the refineries in the UK in 2000. Within days the country ground to a halt.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I don't mean blocking / protesting necessarily...

If I wanted to contact Government Officials, write letters etc... where to start ?

I live in Ohio, I guess I could start with our Governor ?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
(DISCLAIMER: I'm not ranting about anyone specific on ATS. I don't know any of you, or how you live your lives. This is a rant to the human race in general. That said...)

For chrissakes, people! They have been telling us for years that we're running out of oil. We've known for years that OPEC was a bunch of price-gouging crooks. You know that the oil that you burn is causing more and more harm to the environment. And, doing nothing, people have the gall to act surprised when gas prices go up?

What can we do? What can we DO!??!?! How about what we can STOP doing:

• Stop Buying SUVs!!! - Jesus on a pogo-stick! People who buy SUVs tick me off to no end.
    Unless you regularly have to travel in rough terrain, there is no reason to buy an SUV. Taking the kids to football practice doesn't count. They get horrible mileage, and are impossible to see around (unless you get an even larger SUV). Stop being an eff'ing vehicular retard, and get a car that gets decent mileage (30+ mpg). A fine car for this is the Toyota Echo. It's cheap, reliable, is suprisingly spacious, fast enough, and gets anywhere from 35-55mpg. If you have lots of money, buy a hybrid.

• Stop Idling at the Convenience Store - Leaving your car running while you sit and wait, parked, is tantamount to using your dollar bills to wipe with, and then tossing the used bills around on the ground. Not only do you burn more fuel, you continue to pollute. So when you go to a drive-in, like Sonic, turn the engine off. When you go to the convenience store, turn your engine off. When you are dropping something off, turn the engine off. Stop wasting and polluting.

• Stop Wasting Electricity - Most power plants burn fossil fuels, like coal or oil. When you leave the house, turn your lights off. If you want to leave a light on to deter burglars, buy a flourescent light to leave on when you are gone. Stop leaving fans and lights on in rooms you're not using.

• Stop using the car's AC when you don't need it. - Even in Texas, where we've had 120 degree summers, most days of the year, I use 60mph AC (aka rolled-down windows). If you're driving down the freeway, you can get a good breeze with it.

• Stop voting for Oil - If you voted Bush, you voted for Oil. I can't say that Kerry would have been any different, but start considering Candidates from a longer-term perspective. If you're one of those idiots who's convinced that your vote doesn't matter, and that you shouldn't bother voting, then there's no helping you until you grow up anyway. A vote that never gets cast against oil is as good as a vote for it. Get involved in state and city bills, House Rep and Senator elections, and consider them from an energy conservation perspective. Vote against energy-expensive bills and candidates.

• Stop Investing in Oil - The more profitable you make it, the more power you give the price-gougers. Start putting your stocks into alternative energy companies. Start trying to buy from companies that use alternative energy methods. Do some research, and adjust your life accordingly.

• Stop using cheap gas - You get more mileage out of midgrade. It's a fact. Try one full tank of midgrade versus the low grade fuel, and you'll find your mileage go up by as much as 50-75%, for a cost of about 5-10% more.

• Stop looking for sympathy - Petrol prices in the U.K. are what... $5/gal, roughly? In Japan they are closer to $10/gal. Not sure about our Canadian or Aussie friends, but I'm sure they're paying at least 50% more than us. We still have some of the lowest oil prices on Earth. Granted, it's at the expense of everyone hating us, and ruining our wilderness, but hey! At least we've got every Tom, Dick, and Harry driving an SUV!

• Stop thinking it will get better - It won't. There's only so much oil in the world. There's only so much political stability that the middle east will have in our lifetime. And should a miracle arise, there are very powerful organizations bent on keeping the price high, because that is their job. You have to begin thinking long-term, the next car you get should be a hybrid, with thoughts towards an electric. The next major home project should be to install some solar panels. The world is not going to conveniently suddenly correct the oil market: China is currently trying to catch up to our state, and 1 billion people are going to be needing roughly the same oil demands of the average U.S. citizen, which is a LOT.

That's all you can do. A protest isn't going to do squat. Opening up oil reserves isn't going to do squat. Exposing scandal isn't going to do squat.

We are a fat, parasitic culture that lives off luxury, and we're upset that the lifeblood of that luxuries just went up 40 cents a gallon? Bah!

I need a drink.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Yeah Libra. Good post. Great points. Accurate analysis IMO.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Awesome post thelibra!

Well said!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
May I add one.....

stop buying a bunch of crap that you really can do without???

I mean it takes fuel to produce all this crap, doesn't it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There is nothing that the average joe can do to change anything.

Its only an illusion of say or power.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

What can we do? What can we DO!??!?! How about what we can STOP doing:

• Stop Buying SUVs!!! - I sold my SUV 1 - 1/2 years ago.. I now have a mid size sedan..

• Stop Idling at the Convenience Store - I never leave my car running anywhere, anytime.

• Stop Wasting Electricity - always turn the lights off, never using more than what is needed for the room that I'm in. I also keep my thremostat at 63-65 in the winter, and 70 in the summer...

• Stop using the car's AC when you don't need it. - The only time I use it, is when someone else is in the car with me and not comfortable..

• Stop voting for Oil - well, I didn't vote this last time... but you better believe, I will be in the future and I'll be paying close attention to the candidates.

• Stop Investing in Oil - ???? I don't...

• Stop using cheap gas - Yes You Certainly do... I have been using 89 octane gas for a year now... definitley getting better mileage.

• Stop looking for sympathy - Personally I don't care what the prices are elsewhere around the world...

• Stop thinking it will get better - well I'm an optimist, sooo....

I need a drink.

• posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:56 AM
    link   
    If your just going around your city... then I highly reccomend riding a bike. It's good exercise and free.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
    link   
    Thanks, Soficrow and Termite. I hope this becomes more and more the attitude, because otherwise we're due for riots in then next 10 years. How does the saying go? Civilization is only 3 meals away from barbarism?

Originally posted by dawnstar
    May I add one.....

No. Sorry. I'm the only one allowed to add comments.

Just kidding
    - Please, by all means, join in!

Originally posted by dawnstar
    stop buying a bunch of crap that you really can do without???

I mean it takes fuel to produce all this crap, doesn't it.

Most of it, yep. I couldn't agree more. We consume to alleviate boredom, until boredom consumes us, and then we consume some more.

Just remember, everyone, every dollar you spend or do not spend is a vote towards one direction or another.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:48 AM
    link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
  • Stop Buying SUVs!!! - I sold my SUV 1 - 1/2 years ago.. I now have a mid size sedan..

• Good. Good. Here's an additional page that can help you keep your mileage in top shape.

www.ehow.com...

• Stop using the car's AC when you don't need it. - The only time I use it, is when someone else is in the car with me and not comfortable..

• Aha! The extra passenger not only makes you use the AC, but adds weight, which lowers fuel efficiency!

Just kidding... there are some measures that can be too extreme.

• Stop voting for Oil - well, I didn't vote this last time... but you better believe, I will be in the future and I'll be paying close attention to the candidates.

• Excellent! Voting, by ballot, dollar, or feet, is the only real power anyone has.

• Stop using cheap gas - Yes You Certainly do... I have been using 89 octane gas for a year now... definitley getting better mileage.

• Hooray for 89 Octane.

Warning for others: BTW, I wouldn't go any higher than 89 unless your engine calls for it. The higher the Octane, the hotter the temperature your fuel burns at. If your engine isn't designed for high-octane heat, it can damage it.

• Stop looking for sympathy - Personally I don't care what the prices are elsewhere around the world...

• Well, it helps put it all in perspective. Realistically, it'd be like expecting the price of a loaf of bread to always remain a nickle. Between inflation, scarcity of resources, and OPEC, and China planning to quadruple the world consumption of oil, I would not be surprised in the least if we hit $5/gal before 2010.

• Stop thinking it will get better - well I'm an optimist, sooo....

Here's how it will get better, if it does at all. People stop using so much oil, or get their oil from alternative sources, such as sunflower seeds. Alternative energy sources are not only what we should be looking into, but eventually might be the only source we have to work with. right now, however we are not even close.

The biggest problem is finding the right balance between "Energy Returned on Energy Invested" (EROEI), scarcity of resources, and environmental impact. If the cost in energy, to produce and utilize alternatiev energy sources is higher than the energy that one can get out of it, it is a self-defeating method until better technology is developed in that field. The exception, of course, is if a more useful form is developed, such as petrochemicals and plastics.

The next biggest problem is Industry Attitude. If you can get 1,000,000 joules of energy from Source A (heavily polluting, limited source, like coal) for a cost of X, versus getting the same energy from Source B (light or non-polluting, like Wind Power) for a cost of X*10, then, the Industry is going to take the cheaper alternative, and let other people worry about the pollution.

This is why I say that "Things will not get better," in regards to oil. Alternative Energy must first be technologically developed enough to produce greater EROEI and have more appeal to Industry Attitude.

• posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:58 AM
    link   

Stop using cheap gas - Yes You Certainly do... I have been using 89 octane gas for a year now... definitley getting better mileage.

Hooray for 89 Octane.

Warning for others: BTW, I wouldn't go any higher than 89 unless your engine calls for it. The higher the Octane, the hotter the temperature your fuel burns at. If your engine isn't designed for high-octane heat, it can damage it.

This is funny. My wife had a big part in BP's merger a couple of years back, she had to learn about the fuels and what not. All gas is the same, untill the time its shipped, and it all comes from the same place, each company pumps its additives in right before shipped, Also there is a very little diffrence between 87, and 89, 93 has the biggest kick, unless you go to 103 and I dont know if you can still get it from the pump. Most cars today are made to run on 87.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:02 AM
    link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

All gas is the same, untill the time its shipped, and it all comes from the same place, each company pumps its additives in right before shipped,

You can say that again, My Dad is a retired Petrochemical Operator... he used to tell me that evertime there was "extra" - "this" or "that" it would get shipped to gasoline and added there..

there might be little differences in the 87 - 89, but I see it in mileage...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:45 AM
    link   
    Good point. Yes, it's the additives that make the difference.
    Hence why a vehicle's performance and mileage may be vastly different between some cheap fuel, like Racetrack (dunno if you people have it in your area) and expensive fuel, like Chevron. Personally, I find the best mileage and performance out of Chevron, but I also pay about 10 cents more per gallon.

Fortunately, I have a car that I can drive back and forth across town for 2 weeks on one tank of gas.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:39 PM
    link   
    ride a bike and do alot more walking. your lives revolve around a car filled with oil and gasoline. EVERYTHING MUST AND WILL STOP. THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS GOING TO COMPLETELY COLLAPSE AND CHANGE.hopefully the way itcould of been 50years ago with natural resources as the main fuel and energy used.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:58 PM
    link   
    I know i wouldnt be saying this if i lived in the US but get over it, u have very cheap fuel in America compared to me and better wages too!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:19 PM
    link   
    We own a 2002 Honda Accord. My brother is a mechanic and at his shop did oil changes for me. His shop only carried 10w30 oil and Honda recommends 5w20. With 10w30 we used to get 26 MPG but I recently started buying my own 5w20 and bringing it to my brother to use and now we get 30 MPG all else being even. If you drive a Honda or Ford simply using the correct 5w20 oil will improve your gas mileage significantly.

My other car is a gas powered standup scooter. Gets 200 MPG with a range of 30 miles and top speed of 33 MPH. I love it!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:30 PM
    link   
    Well boys and girls, you'll be pleased to know that gasoline will never go above the $5 mark, unless it is really running out. The reason why? Competition of course. A garage in Austin Texas sells 100 biodiesel for $3.40 a gallon. Some of that fuel is from second hand vergetable oil form fast food chains etc. but even if it came from pure original sources it would be about $4.50 max.
    (sry, forgotten the link)

That actually wouldn't be a particulary bad thing. It would give each country autonomy over its energy supply and give farmers a nice income too boot. (I prefer farmers doing well out of it than petrol companies myself)

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:47 PM
    link   
    When my current lease expires I will be looking to purchase this Toyota:

This Hybrid car achieves 4.0L/100Km gas mileage

Another effective measure we can all do is switch to "energy star" products. It's time we threw out that 1960's beer fridge sitting in the garage, it's time we toss out those ancient washer and dryers!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join