It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco May Regulate Blogging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
"Just when you thought the Federal Election Commission had it out for the blogosphere, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors took it up a notch and announced yesterday that it will soon vote on a city ordinance that would require local bloggers to register with the city Ethics Commission and report all blog-related costs that exceed $1,000 in the aggregate.

Blogs that mention candidates for local office that receive more than 500 hits will be forced to pay a registration fee and will be subject to website traffic audits, according to Chad Jacobs, a San Francisco City Attorney."

www.personaldemocracy.com...

Well you don't have to worry about homeland security or GW killing ATS the "enlightened" ones in san fran will do it for them. This should make all of you shake in your boots...............

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
This should make all of you shake in your boots...............

It does DrH, and I've been following this stuff a while. Good topic.

Not sure where it's all leading or where it's all coming from, but I have concerns myself over some of the more shady PAC-like sites out there.

As it stands we can usually figure out who is who. But it takes effort, and not everybody gets the full disclosure.

If it's just a money thing, I can see that too. Some of these "non-profit" blog sites operating on a quarter million dollar annual budget are honking jokes. Though I'd just as soon not name the infamous one in mind, as they all come join in droves every time I do.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
TROUBLEMAKER. I suspect that Ulanoff, who is a dead ringer for Leon Trotsky, seems to have written the column with a Trotsky-like need to stir up the kettle to see what boils over. I would personally never write a column just to get people riled up—well, at least not by taking the wrong side of the argument. Especially not if my argument was designed to take money out of my own pocket and throw it away.

Taxing the Internet is an extremely dangerous idea to promote. This is because some boneheads in Washington and elsewhere will read these assertions uncritically, and the next thing you know, we're being taxed, once again. So instead of paying $29 a month for Net service, it will be $34.95. Then someone will come along, and it will go higher until it's like gasoline—where an average of 62 cents in state and local taxes is collected per gallon of gas. For what?

www.pcmag.com...

Here is more from PC mag...................

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think they're going to have a hard time finding these sites and then enforcing it. There's been some silly legislation around, and this has got to be one of the more silly proposals.

top topics

join