It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An experiment you can do at home!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'm sure that many of you have heard of this experiment. Perhaps there is even a thread on it, but because I'm new and don't see one, I'll post it anyway.

This is an experiment to capture strange flying objects with an 8mm camcorder. It's simple. You'll probably need a tripod for this.

Take your camera during the day and place it in a position where there the camera captures the sun just barely being blocked by a nearby object. I mean, make sure that the actual sun is blocked but that the camera still captures the sun's surrounding brightness. You may or may not get a lens flare, it doesn't matter. Record the sky for a few minutes. Then play back the tape on your TV. You should see strange little dots flying around on the screen!

What I do is I place my camera on the my back porch so that the overhang of my roof blocks the sun. Keep in mind that if I moved the angle of the camera just half an inch away from my house, the sun would be in full view.

I don't know what causes the dots. It could be anything from an illusion to trans-dimensional beings. All I know is that I've done it several times, always with the same results. Sometimes the dots just seem to ploat around, but sometimes the appear to be moving purposefully and even reacting to each other.

I'm not sure if this can be done on a digital recorder or any other video recording device because I haven't tried it. Maybe these dots are related to those strange "rods" so often caught on still photos? Any ideas or theories?

Warning: Common sense tells me that recording the sun may damage your camcorder but I've been using my old Sony '97 piece of junk and it still works fine. I've done this experiment so many times and from so many different angles that I'm bored with it. Tell me what you think.

-S

[edit on 5-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well, if they're related to "rods" then they're bugs, because that's what rods are. Come to think of it, swarms of flying dots does seem a lot like bugs.

[edit on 4/5/2005 by eaglewingz]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention that these things aren't visible by any means to the naked eye. Just try it. You'll see... they do appear to be bugs on film (or dots acting like bugs) but you CAN NOT see them without the use of a camera. Generally objects that small and far away so as not to be seen by the naked eye don't show up on the kind of resolution (cruddy) that I get with my 8mm.

They also don't show up unless you use the above mentioned technique. I've spent about 20 hours on this experiment with different controls. It's not AMAZING but it IS interesting.

I do think bugs MIGHT be it... but try it and you may change your mind about it... invisible bugs?

-S

PS, I don't really belong on this forum. I'm generally a skeptic, but experiments that you can do at home like this one and recording EVP's are neat. I don't know what causes them, but being a skeptic I don't feel obligated to try to find answers. I think they're generally anomalies that can be scientifically explained. Though I have to admit that if these things turn out to be bugs, I'd be disappointed. Seriously try it though, you might change your mind.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
yea I did this the other day with a digital recorder and it does work. I have no Idea what they are, I did see a bug that flew by and it was black from the sun being behind it. These things are white. Anyone want to try and upload the video?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilee187... Anyone want to try and upload the video?

Seriously, it would be great if someone could upload a still from their video, jsu so we all know what you are claiming to have videoed. I'm not doubting anyones word just curious as to what you are describing. Thanx!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Yeah Alfred, they are hard to describe other than "little moving dots". They don't look like alien spacecraft or anything... but I can't rule anything out. They could be bugs... they could be... anything. Smilee get white dots... that's strange because I get black ones. I'll do my best to get a digital sample and then upload it for you.

Remember the freaky thing about them is that you can't see them save through a recorded video.
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You can spot them normally too when you look into the sky, you see tiny dots flying all over the place, they could be Baryons from the sun, or perhaps it's spiritual energy...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My guess would be infared reflections off of dust/pollen. Home cameras are sensitive to IR. You can see this with a standard IR remote for a tv/dvd/vcr. Just put the camera on record, and point the remote at the camera, and press buttons. You can then play back the film and see the pulses from the remote.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiggy
My guess would be infared reflections off of dust/pollen. Home cameras are sensitive to IR. You can see this with a standard IR remote for a tv/dvd/vcr. Just put the camera on record, and point the remote at the camera, and press buttons. You can then play back the film and see the pulses from the remote.

Maybe we could try putting more controls in the experiment to eliminate some possibilities? The dots look rather large to be pollen but unfortunately, that's most likley what it is...
-S

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ServoHahn
Then play back the tape on your TV. You should see strange little dots flying around on the screen!

not faster just to load a blank vhs?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ServoHahn

Originally posted by wiggy

Maybe we could try putting more controls in the experiment to eliminate some possibilities? The dots look rather large to be pollen but unfortunately, that's most likley what it is...
-S

The flashes recorded from a remote are quite big, compared to the actual emmiter. It would be better if you had something sensitive to UV light also.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Kalki, I know you're making a stab... I just don't know what at.

Wiggy, that's right, you can see (usually pale blue) lights flashing at different frequencies depending on which button you push. So the dots could be something that reflects UV... but what? I guess most things reflect UV, right?

Talked about light frequencies a bit in chemistry but I didn't do well on that test (or in that class)... what kinds of little floating things reflect UV so that they can only be seen by a recording device?
-S

[edit on 6-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sun spots?

Can't someone post up a video link or something? Its kinda fustrating reading about it all.. I'm feeling left out here.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by An Entity

Sun spots?

Can't someone post up a video link or something? Its kinda fustrating reading about it all.. I'm feeling left out here.

I'm sorry. No digital link from my computer to my recorder. I could snail mail you a copy if you're really desperate. The things appear to be within the atmosphere somewhere. They don't always appear near the sun in the shot. The lens flare is just the technique you need to get them on film. They appear everywhere in the sky, but not everywhere in the shot. They just appear between the sun and the horizon in the shot. Google it, I'm sure you could find SOMETHING... I mean I saw the experiment on one of those documents on UFO's.

Doesn't matter if the things are actually pollen. Until you prove it, they're still unidentified.
-S

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You lot sound like some blacked out CIA document, teasing with the visible lines but punishing with the futility of the understanding... it saddens me.

I actually tried to see the things you mention with my eyes this morning and noticed that cells are visible on the lense of the eye. Not quite as intresting as flying dots that interact with one another but intresting none the less. lol.

Wonder if I can catch any of these things you lot are on about on my camera phone....

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
-Is itching to contribute-

Look what I found!

Hundreds of anomalous objects photographed near the sun since 2001 have captured the attention of UFO enthusiasts. These objects are reported to have been photographed by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). SOHO is a NASA spacecraft that monitors the sun's activity. The observatory is located 1 million miles away from Earth.

UFO investigators claim that the saucer shaped craft were moving in a manner that suggested intelligent control, and additionally, they believe that the images are proof of alien life.

BBC reports that NASA originally dismissed the images as comets, asteroids, or the result of a camera fault. NASA now refuses to make further comment on the objects.

In January 2003, the images went on display at the English National Space Centre in Leicester. Mr. Mike Murray, founder of the UFO group Euroseti, had commented to BBC about the SOHO UFO pictures:

"Some of the pictures are real crackers. They are the archetypal flying saucers; Disc-shaped objects with some kind of glow around them. Many have a pulsing light and leave a trail behind them. They come from all angles and directions. There's one especially which is really fabulous. It is a glowing disc with a pink disc-shaped object within the glow, and a turret on the top. I think it's absolutely irrefutable that this couldn't be anything other than a machine."

Murray obtained the photos from a businessman in Barcelona, Spain, who in turn received them from SOHO using a giant satellite dish from outside his home. From January 2001 through January 2003 about 700 such pictures have been collected.

Murray continued, "The first thing we did when we got the images was to speak to NASA, who said it was a camera fault. But by enhancing the images we proved this wasn't the case."

NASA then suggested to Murray that the questionable images were either comets or meteors, but this did not explain the independent movement of the objects, nor the fact that they also made turns.

-Stands pround having contributed and now retuns to a meaningless exsistance-

Its in the UFO thread (soho enigma) so I guess the pay cheque won't amount to much, theres more on it there though... not that you probably didn't know already.

Peace
An Entity

[edit on 7-4-2005 by An Entity]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Good find. But you won't really appreciate the things until you film your own. Can't you rent a camcorder or something? I mean... EVPs sound neat and they seem to be something that anyone can record though I have to admit that if (and when) I record my own it would (will) freak the heck out of me.

These things are less scary and more... puzzling. I'm sorry, but I really have no means by which to post images from my film (save taking a trip to a Kodak outlet and getting them put on CD which is money better spent on fighting the man... j/k).

George Noory (coast to coast- coasttocoastam.com) suggests that EVPs, shadow people, UFO sightings, if all true could be some sort of trans-dimentional consolidation (or something to that effect). It's far out there, I just think that it's an interesting theory that belongs on the paranormal studies board.

Anyway DO the experiment. I can almost gaurantee that you'll get good results.
-S

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I'm curious. Do the results you have obtained resemble the first pics in the thread posted below? I can see pics with glowing spots or orbs in a few of the first pics from the following thread. Is that similiar to what has been observed?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The above thread explained the effect as light reflections off of dust particles.

Kudos go out to the new search feature. I don't think I would have found the thread I was looking for that quickly by searching for titles.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by orionthehunter]

[edit on 9-4-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I'm curious. Do the results you have obtained resemble the first pics in the thread posted below? I can see pics with glowing spots or orbs in a few of the first pics from the following thread. Is that similiar to what has been observed?

Well, the dots don't look anything like these orbs. The orbs are cool though! I don't doubt that a similar illusion could be creating the dots I observe with my video camera, but they don't look like these orbs at all. They are simply little black dots that float around on the shot and are only visible using the afore mentioned technique.

I'm not saying aliens or anything... I'm just saying that they float around... Sometimes the movement looks "intelligent", but mostly it appears random, either changing direction randomly or just moving in a straight line. The only reason I posted it here is that no one has proven conclusively what they are and I haven't done controlled experiments to find out. I'm thinking that if enough smart people are shooting enough film with enough controls that I'm bound to find a satisfactory answer.

Question: has anyone here ever recorded any EVPs? I'd like to start a thread but I'm sure there's already like a million. I've heard that anyone who wants can record them (like my black dots), but no one knows exactly what they are. Many people think they're ghosts, but being a skeptic I'm more inclined to think that they're some kind of electronic signal or electronic record (being that they can only be heard electronically, not acoustically). Maybe they're electronic impressions made on a certain area? People who claim to have recorded them say that the EVPs often say a few words and appear to use acoustic sound to resonate their electronic signals. Because they appear to have some kind of intelligence or reactivity to the people recording them, investigators tend to think that they aren't radio "noise" or lost radio signals.

Do any of you have any more sound theories that don't involve mysterious electronic imprinting? If you think they're radio signals, give it a shot. I'm sure you'll be sufficiently creeped out.
-S
Edit: I heard these guys on the radio. They have some cool EVPs you can download. They're a non-profit organization (and are quite poor) and don't have much to gain by faking any ghosts.

I inherited a picture from a family friend of a "ghost" with instructions not to show anyone... so I won't. Yeah, sounds pretty sketchy I know... But the picture almost looks like a lightning bolt is striking from an unknown source right in the middle of her kitchen. Looks weird... don't think it's a ghost though.

I notice that we're just like ancient cultures. When we find something that we don't understand, it's got to be spirits or gods or aliens or something. I'm sure a hundred years from now there'll be a nice, scientific explaination of EVPs and we'll consider those who thought they were ghosts to be rather primitive.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by ServoHahn]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is very interesting because when I try to see aura’s I sometimes see theses sparkling floating in my field of vision.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join