It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Death Ray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
New, from the maker of the internationally-renowned "Girlfriend Quest" PC game, comes a six-foot tall set of mirrors, designed to reflect the sun's light -- and roast whatever comes in its way.

The Solar Death Ray captures sunlight in 112 mirrors, each 3.5 inches square, and then spits it back onto a single spot five feet, six inches away.

"I estimate that the Solar Death Ray can heat things up to between 500-600 degrees Celsius (930-1100 degrees Fahrenheit) under good conditions," its maker says.

This guy semms to have too much time on his hands
But damn I want one of those.

www.solardeathray.com...

XL5

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I have a projection TV freznel lens that will melt an empty tin can in a second with a 2-3" spot size. I need to use welding goggles when I use it.

He should have mounted the mirrors on a flexible sheet of plastic, secured the corners and put an adjustable cable in the center to focus it at different distances.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That thing looks exactly like the contraption Myth Busters built on an episode I saw. They were trying to recreate the death ray that Archimedes supposedly built and used to catch enemy ships on fire. To make a long story short they couldn’t align or sync the mirrors enough to focus the beam to light the mock ship hull on fire, but it heated it up pretty good.

On the subject of solar rays someone was telling me about some crazy experiment the govt was planning to do. They wanted to use a huge matrix of mirrors and lens to amplify the sun’s rays to recreate the sun so to speak. The idea was that at the bottom of the mirror/lens array the solar rays would be amplified back to the level of the sun! The fear was that if they created a new sun on earth they wouldn’t be able to shut it off, put it out etc!! I have searched around a little and haven’t found anything about it and was hoping someone else knows something?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Why go through all that trouble when one can simply have the current laser weapons that will do more than just heat something up or the new microwave type weapons that will melt your skin off then cook you or you can use it to heat up something with it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The problem is that the Earth won't stand still. So if you need an UberDeathRay that ONLY works at 12:45 pm, then it's a go. If you need it to work in the dark, when Captain Nefarious is skulking about, then I suggest you try another Incredibly Deadly Weapon.

Like a chocolate creme pie. If the velocity doesn't kill them, the sludge in their arteries will.

top topics

join