It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

armies modernization programs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have been reading about different armies modernization programs, I know israel has a digital one, and France is doing something to upgrade its BDU's. But can you guys give me some other countries modernization programs? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I think Canada might be upgrading wooden canoes to metal ones.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Oh... that Canada joke is killing me, thanks for the good laugh.

Well the U.S. has a lot of different modernization programs I would be here a long type trying to post all of them. I’m jus going mention a few. The Global Strike Capabilities. The Land Warrior and FCS programs. The digital communication technology. And many many others for the 21st Century.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
in germany we have as landwarrior equivalent the "Infantrist der Zukunft" (infantryman of the future)

Network-centric battlefield equipment sharpens the very tip of the spear—infantry squads and platoons.

The German army is fielding technologies to enhance its soldiers’ lethality, situational awareness, survivability and operational capability. The new kit consists of an easily upgraded, modular system of body armor, integrated communications and night-vision equipment. Each squad member is fitted with a personal radio and a handheld digital assistant that can receive imagery and tactical data via a local wireless network. The new equipment already has been tested operationally in Kosovo and Afghanistan.

Even in a time of precision networked warfare, the presence of individual soldiers on the ground is still vitally important for securing areas and defeating enemy forces. New communications and wireless technologies now allow small units to be more effective and lethal by providing them with direct access to reconnaissance and fire support assets. These systems also help prevent casualties because troops provided with a complete operational picture of the battlefield can avoid mistakes and potential fratricide incidents that can occur in confused and fluid situations.

link

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The British Army doesn't need any of this shiny equipment and radios that work
I can't find anything of the equalilant to the landwarrior for British forces, any help?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
here is a link.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
The British Army doesn't need any of this shiny equipment and radios that work
I can't find anything of the equalilant to the landwarrior for British forces, any help?

Well the MOD relised....we dont need to upgrade...we already got the best

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Well the MOD relised....we dont need to upgrade...we already got the best

They could have given the army spears and their still the best

From blue cell's

link

FIST (Future Integrated Soldier Technology) is a tri-service project initiated by the UK Ministry of Defense, which will provide the British Armed Forces with an integrated fighting system for dismounted, close combat troops. Initial suits will be available for operational testing by 2007. Under the UK 2 billion pounds program Thales UK will equip 29,000 troops with initial operational capability planned for 2009.

FIST is a modular, integrated, and fully upgradable fighting system which will further integrate with the future FRES combat systems concept of the British army. The system will mesh each soldier into the digitized battlefield as a "weapons system" in his own right, each man-platform contributing to the larger, network enabled environment where each soldier platform becomes a key component within the network centric battlefield system.

Well then, the UK isn't going to get left behind after all, looks like the future is based around modular, intergrated and upgradable systems, common sense really.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

They could have given the army spears and their still the best

I believe they gave the argyll's just bayonetts and they done quite well in iraq...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I recall reading that some in the military administration of the US want to create an officer group of "Global Scouts" who would serve as something like intelligence operatives for long periods of time in one region or locale.

Might not be 'high tech' but it is a type of modernization. Also, the US military has been talking about using a Regimental System like that of the britishers, wherein troopers and officers stay in a unit for a long period of time, thus developing a rapport and espirit de corps.

Also, others are talking about making the tactical operating unit, or whatever, the brigade instead of the division, for more mobility, and to eliminate a level of command.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
According the the Scotsman Newspaper the regiment is due to have a strength of 600 perrsonal.

The author (former second in command of 22 Rgt SAS) does worry about the pool that this regiment draws from as at the same time the army is being reduced by 20,000 (I am sure Devilwasp will especailly bemoan the reduction of the Scottish Regiments to a single unit as so many of our special forces are Scottish) and as it is the SAS have hard time find enough recuits of the desired quality.

I think envitable this be as referred to above a 'light version' with same type of training as the SAS but not to the same degree of expertise. Hopefully I will be proved wrong. It must be remember that most Regiments formed FRU (Forward Reconissance Unit) that operate undercover whilst in Northern Ireland and that these unit were often closely linked to the SAS

[EDIT: Sorry posted on wrong thread menat to post on New UK Special Forces Regiment to be operational tomorrow

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Popeye]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye
The author (former second in command of 22 Rgt SAS) does worry about the pool that this regiment draws from as at the same time the army is being reduced by 20,000 (I am sure Devilwasp will especailly bemoan the reduction of the Scottish Regiments to a single unit as so many of our special forces are Scottish) and as it is the SAS have hard time find enough recuits of the de

I'm an Englishman and I'm greatly angered by the cuts in Scotland, the Scottish are known for the ability of their soldiers and are a great asset to Britain.
I believe the SAS is made up of 60% Scottish soldiers which shows they are of great value.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
can someone tell me the numbers of army/airforce/navy soldiers in UK?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan

The following if from October 2004 and can be found
here

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
What! the Brits only have 271K personnel in their military
I know they are making cuts but damn 271K seems very low to me.
Also Net Centric Warfare the U.S. military is planning where everyone from the private to the general get information almost instantly and is provided with multiple options on how to survey the battle filed. And decisions take seconds and minutes to get made as the situation changes not hours or days.

Net-centric warfare combines a powerful military force with information superiority, giving American service men and women greater awareness of our own forces, the enemy, and the battlefield environment. America now has a smaller, more lethal deployed military force. Netcentric operations permit forces to focus on specific targets, protecting the lives of American and coalition forces, as well as countless non-combatants.

This link gives you pretty much everything you need to know about Net Centric Warfare.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
What! the Brits only have 271K personnel in their military
I know they are making cuts but damn 271K seems very low to me.

We've always had a small army....but always a better trained and orginised than anyone else in the world..
Besides...we mainly focus on RN and RAF...since they need to come by ethier sea or air to get us...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan

The following if from October 2004 and can be found
here

wow

and I thought german numbers were low:

112,856 Army soldirs pros
46,701 Airforce soldiers pros
19,420 navy soldiers pros
59,828 "forces basement" pros
130,000 civilian employees
120,000 conscripteds
23,000 medical service

("forces basement and civilian employees do the logistics, catering, military police, technics, but repairing tanks and other vehicles is done by private companys, where the civilian employees arent counted)

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Wodan]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You all have to realise that the UK has a population of 60million, 271K for the military seems about right, America and Germany have larger populations thus they can have larger land armies.

Also America and Germany need well needed larger ground forces due to the Cold War with the threat of a Russian invasion, the UK doesn't due to Russia nuking us before we can more larger troop numbers over, anyway we have British bases in Germany so thats alright.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

You all have to realise that the UK has a population of 60million, 271K for the military seems about right, America and Germany have larger populations thus they can have larger land armies.

Also America and Germany need well needed larger ground forces due to the Cold War with the threat of a Russian invasion, the UK doesn't due to Russia nuking us before we can more larger troop numbers over, anyway we have British bases in Germany so thats alright.

but you are the ones fighting battles in former colonies and all over the world, not we!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here is Israels land force digititation program as bush would say lol. Its basiscally like what the US wants to do with the FCS program, connect our armed forces in battle so we can share info and the commanders can know whats going on where. To get a better picture of the battlefield, don't you love net-centric technology!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join