It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Comic Books To Be Used For 'Psy-Ops' in Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The U.S. government is taking applications for the creation of "an original comic book series." The ad says, "In order to achieve long-term peace and stability in the Middle East, the youth need to be reached." The army's 4th Psychological Operations Group has said that it has completed the initial character and plot developments.

bbc.net.uk
The US military is planning to win the hearts of young people in the Middle East by publishing a new comic.
It will be based on "the security forces, military and police, in the near future in the Middle East" and is being produced by US Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

A spokesman at Fort Bragg told BBC News website that the initiative for the comic-book project came from the US Department of Defense's Central Command, which is responsible for US security interests in 25 Middle Eastern and Arab nations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The U.S. Army is planning to win the day in the Middle East with........comic books!!!! Admittedly this is not how the West was won and won't be the main success story overseas, however the subtlety is where the future generations will be turned before they even knew what hit them.

Let's also not overlook the fact that comic books are being used to set the tone for personal and national pride. The 4th Psychological Operations Group has a heavy background in Advertising and Marketing. This implicates american mediums as well. Not just the standard political biases, but propaganda in the form of personal entertainment. Who's to say that are 'blockbusters' didn't begin as a concept in a psy-ops discussion?

This also shows that the U.S. has long term plans for the socio-econo-political development of the middle east. By targeting the youth, the ideologies and media choices of tomorrows consumer adults are being set.....I doubt very much that comic books are the only form of influence being used. The War in Iraq is affecting their senses as well....more so considering that the war is on their doorstep. But consider that the effort isn't focused on Iraq alone, rather, "US security interests in 25 Middle Eastern and Arab nations."

This pretty much says what many people already hold true.....the U.S. is involved in the Middle East far more than official releases admit....to target the youth is but one step in a lengthy process. Not suggesting an NWO scenario.....on the contrary, actually. U.S. interests would be served to have a cooperative Middle East society.

Related News Links:
www.akcomics.com

[edit on 4-4-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 4-4-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Targeting youth..

It's probably the only way to get something done...For good or for bad.
You won't change the minds of the "Old guard" very easily.

How do you say "Goofus and Gallant" in Arabic...

Am I showing My age here? LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Targeting Youth..

Worked for the Christianity.....and was a major tactic by cigarette companies.......it's a time of major influence on the reasoning skills of an individual....

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Propaganda has been proven to be successful in the past. Especially in areas where there are uneducated and in rural areas. Do you think that the psychological operations are not based upon 100 years of research, possibly longer? It is a fact that in the rural areas of the Middle East there are large numbers of people who are not properly educated, and I do not stat that in a deragatory way.

Comic books= Win the mind of youth, control future.

Stalin quote. "Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."

Comic Books is a form of education.......in a very propaganda maner based on virtues instead of facts.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
NSA - very true, very true. Also, consider that the educational level in the Middle East is offset by the religious fanatacism I would bet is quite varied on a regional basis, or are at least exposed to the effects of it. The appellation of their ego to a comic book will most likely be considered a welcome release from anxiety and that is where propaganda has it's roots/is most effective......the biological dichotomy of anxiety and comfort.

I'm surprised this story didn't get any more attention. This is a situation where the U.S. Army is basically admitting the institution of a means of personal entertainment to be on the basis of influencing the minds of people. With a bit of extrapolation, you can find corrolations with the American media and entertainment forums. Basic human principles are at play here and it's amazing how subtle manipulations can be effected. I'm not saying everything is nefarious......sometimes the best propaganda is the most inane, after a waste of time can still include the transferring of money, however, here is an oppurtunity to potentially reverse-engineer the workings of our subconcious interaction(i.e. question are own information interpretations/bias).

This story isn't about a comic book. It's about the use of a popular media to sway the ideology system of a foriegn generation. That's where battles are won...in the mind....not with guns.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I don't know what's scarier about this...

The fact that they are doing it.
Or the fact that nobody seems to care that they are.

Oh well...glad we can get away with it I guess...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
good find - scary stuff.

Fact is, it's been done before - and still is. Ever watched JAG? Or see all the Marine and Army ads on the hip-hop sites in 2001-2002? Or how 'bout that army training online video game? Welcome to the brave new world.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm wondering just how badly it's going to miss its target.

The fact is, the military isn't very good about dealing with other cultures. They want the other culture to be just like OUR culture and don't recognize some of the subtleties that can create problems.

For instance, some sects of Islam forbid depicting the human figure. And you wouldn't use dogs (they're unclean) or certain other animals, and I'm not sure how well "funny animals' go over in that country.

They could end up with a real dud on their hands. They'd do better to broadcast (and I'm not kidding) a soap opera.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
BYRD! ...What are you DOING?! Don't tell them how to do it better! Please. Their incompetence is our only hope!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This project will be a big flop. There is also an Egyptian publisher releasing comics with the first Arab super Heroes. Mid-east kids aren't dumb, they will take the Egypt comics over the US Army books any day.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Army To Produce Comic Aimed At The Middle East

[edit on 5/4/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
American propagnda leaflets have been used since the Gulf War over a decade ago, here are some of the more notable ones...

www.psywarrior.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just as Byrd mentioned....There's no cultural sensitivity here....

Comic books are not the natural method of sending messages to the youth in countries outside of America.....Hell, it isn't even an American method.....

It's purposeful and blatant PR geared toward young children with the hopes of suppressing their inherent individuality....

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Domestic military psy-ops on our volenerouble young minds has been taking place since the glorifying GI-JOE cartoon days of the 80's.

Cause knowing is half the battle!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I'm wondering just how badly it's going to miss its target.

The fact is, the military isn't very good about dealing with other cultures. They want the other culture to be just like OUR culture and don't recognize some of the subtleties that can create problems.

Good point, Byrd. But, imo, the most interesting aspect of this article is the fact that the U.S. Army is interested in even trying to indoctrinate the youth of somewhere else.........could be for many reasons. The comic book story is a nice PR move because many people view comic books as fun and since we're overthrowing their democracy, we might as well make their society a carbon copy of ours.....makes it alot easier to sell them are current product lines.

And if comic books don't work, then something else will. Even Soap Operas. Works like that in America, doesn't it? The demographics for comic books and soap operas are different but they essentially accomplish the same task......to distract and entertain. Not that there is anything wrong with that for those so inclined.

Religion is a major hurdle, however. But how religious were we 150 years ago? The circumstances indeed do not invite comparison, but the point is that national ideologies of a nation can be termed with, or at least muscled aside to share room. If Islamic extremists can find a way to rationalize death because of religion, then sex and capitalism are likely to find a way.

Originally posted by Gazrok
I don't know what's scarier about this...

I don't think it's a matter of being scary at all.....propaganda, merchandise, etc. are all going to be available because it sells and makes people 'happy.' It's going to show itself in one way, shape, or form and most likely in a competitive arena. So awareness of it is ideal. Kind of like the phrase,"Choose your poison." Knowing why things are done alots us the oppurtunity to invite that sort of bias, nonsense, waste, fulfillment, etc. into our lives or not. Too often people allow for their enjoyments without understanding the reasonings for it.....and as a result, you get a society that is less inclined to feed the hand that bites it.....er...um...

Originally posted by soficrow
Fact is, it's been done before - and still is. Ever watched JAG?

The most watched show, I believe is CSI.....the franchise( three strong) is in the top twenty if not top ten and Law and Order has slightly lower numbers.

*Sigh*

Simulcra.........the difference is that the propaganda you provided is meant to influence a direct action in a direct situation. What we have with the comic books and who knows what else is the intent to influence whole systems of belief.....instillation of confidance and nationalism by association. This type of influence can effect how day to day decisions are made.

A way bigger deal, especially in principle.

new topics

top topics

join