It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Fast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic
So do any blades on engines ever create sonic booms as they rotate at high speed? If so what happens to that?

If they do then it would just be a loud continuous noise, like a highpitched whine, because the sound wave is constantly hitting you. I cant be arsed to actually go and work out the angular velocity of prop and jet engines at the moment, but I might do it later on just to see if it actually does get that fast.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
there are places on WSMR where super sonic flight is allowed. WSMR isn't exactly a built up area, and in the heat of dogfighting I don't think they are paying attention to air speed!

sonic booms can sound different due to things like atmosheric conditions, distance, and topography. you might also consider a two boom as two aircraft doing it at the same time. if they are at low level and close, you get the boom-boom. if they are at altitude, far away, with an atmosheric inversion, and a mountain range between you, it sounds more like distant, rumbling thunder.

since he was close to WSMR/HAFB - a playground for high performance vehicles, i would say it was a sonic boom.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Blythe,

Sorry for this question but what is WSMR? I am thinking White Sands Missile Range.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
yes, WSMR is White Sands Missile Range, HAFB is Holloman Air Force Base, and KAFB is Kirtland Air Force Base.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WOW, I never even knew German Tornado's flew in the US!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Ground Zero,

I was the same.

I knew that the RAF regularly go to Canada for training but for the Germans to actually have a basing in the US is something else.

It will drive those who are worried about the New World Order, mental.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think they're going mental all on their own, they don't need the Germans to help

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Depending on how fast the plane was flying, and how high it was, it might have crossed the horizon before you heard the boom. A mach 2 plane at sea level is flying 760 miles ahead of the shock wave!

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Ghost,

How do you calculate that?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Ghost,

How do you calculate that?

Cheers

BHR

Well, its quite simple, Speed of Sound is 761mph at 0ft (sealevel), so at mach two, the aircrafts had a chance to travel an extra 761 miles before the sound gets to you. At Mach 3, that would be 1522 miles and so on.

To work out the mach cone angle, and thus the time at which the sound will reach you, you use the following sum:

mu = sin^-1(a/u)

where mu is the angle of the cone, a is the speed of sound and u is the velocity of the aircraft.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
RP,

Does that mean that you would see the plane 30 mins before you heard the boom?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

RP,

Does that mean that you would see the plane 30 mins before you heard the boom?

Cheers

BHR

Not at all, it just means the distance the aircraft travels is 2x that at Mach 1 (I was slightly wrong in my previous answer, the distance the aircraft travels entirely depends on the distance you are from the aircraft, but in any case its twice that which it would travel at Mach 1 as the mach cone is 'pointier' with a more acute angle)

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
RP,

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but hear me out.

You state that at Mach 2 by the time you hear the boom the plane will be 761 miles away.

Now as far as I am aware Mach 2 is 1522 miles an hour at sealevel. Therefore for the plane to be 761 miles away it will have been travelling for 30 mins at mach 2

All this is assuming the plane goes overhead.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

what is scary is a tornado at 500 feet doing 500 mph right on top of you!

You think that is scary you should see them do it at

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

RP,

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but hear me out.

You state that at Mach 2 by the time you hear the boom the plane will be 761 miles away.

Now as far as I am aware Mach 2 is 1522 miles an hour at sealevel. Therefore for the plane to be 761 miles away it will have been travelling for 30 mins at mach 2

All this is assuming the plane goes overhead.

Cheers

BHR

No,

The standard speed of sound is 761mph, so if an event happened 761 miles away, you would hear it in an hour. The aircraft is travelling at TWICE that speed, but the sound is still travelling at the same speed so in the time that the sound has travelled 761 miles, the aircraft has travelled 1522 miles.

My second post is 'better' worded, the difference in distance travelled by the moving object is 2x that at mach 2 to mach 1. so you may be 1 mile from the aircraft, the distance the aircraft travels past you before you hear the boom is twice that at mach 2 than mach 1.

Its doubtful that the aircraft would actually have covered 761 miles before you hear the boom, because that indicates it took the sound an hour to reach you and it would have usually dissipated long before then, but its a good enough round figure to use in examples such as these.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
RP,

Having spoken to a jet pilot on this topic he claims that you are incorrect.

I have asked him to provide me with some proof to this and I will get back to you when I do.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

RP,

Having spoken to a jet pilot on this topic he claims that you are incorrect.

I have asked him to provide me with some proof to this and I will get back to you when I do.

Cheers

BHR

Ahh well, if I was then I was
Long days, short nights, stress stress stress etc

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
RP,

I have not forgotten about this.

As soon as I can make you look foolish I will.

There will be no excuses of late nights etc.

Cheers

BHR

top topics

<< 1   >>

join